Country
    Singapore

Bloated Neon Tetras

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folk,

Every few weeks, one of my Neons would become obsenely bloated and soon disappeared in my tank (presumed dead). As it is so cheap, I just replace them. I've tried Oceanfree internal disease medication but odesn't seem to help. My other fishes like rummynosea, otos, albino loaches, flying foxes seem not affected. Any clue ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think they are prone to disease. My experience was that they can get some disease when you think your tank is stable. And then there's almost no cure.

There's something called Neon Tetra Disease you may like to check out.

In the end I replaced them with hardier Cardinal Tetra - nicer too.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks Koah Fong ! How's your new tank coming along ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah, the moment you see colour fading away for your neon tetra, I would suggest that you quickly remove it away.

Neon Tetra Disease cannot be cure and it can spread to other tetra fairly quickly.

Remember I had about 30 of them and due to that stupid disease, most of my tetra died. No time to change and clean the tank during the weekdays and by the time it was weekend, I had at least 10 tetra dead or really sick...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi juggler,

What do you mean when you said the tetra will be prone to disease when the tank is stable? I thought that once the tank is stable, the fish should be healthier?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/11/2002 4:15:00 PM

Hi juggler,

What do you mean when you said the tetra will be prone to disease when the tank is stable? I thought that once the tank is stable, the fish should be healthier?
    ----------------
    I said "... when you *think* your tank is stable ...".
    Anyway, that's just my experience. Every batch of Neons I bought have slowly died off; some were even looking healthy and growing but later got some unknown disease and died off. I am not even sure why. However my Cardinals still going strong and swimming nicely in schools.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, my Neons swim in schools only when it's feeding time or when they are scared ! They swim all over the place on their own, usually the front part of the tank. My rummynoses though fewer stick together.

I think the problem with Neons is due to mass production and quality suffers as a result. They only costs 20 cents per piece so I can't ask too much. If I'm lucky, I get the bigger and healthy ones as the LFS will not allow you to choose. Big and nice Neons are hard to find it seems.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i've seen bigger neons in petmart, 60cents each.

good luck!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi ..

i hv kept abt 30+ tetras in my 2 ft tank .. however one day they just died one~two per day and
    finally all is gone .. i m very sad .. i hv kept them for abt 4~5 mths .. the symptom before they died
    is tat the tetra seems to be breathing very hard and would be stayin away from the rest of the
    tetras in one corner .. after it died, its belly looks red .. itiz bcoz of NO2 posioning ??? i hv been
    practising changing the water every two weeks ..

i hv tied putting another twelve tetras (neon and cardinal) into the tank abt two weeks later (after
    changing one third of the tank water) .. all the tetras died in abt a week .. the same symptom ..

any advise .. i like tetra .. pls help ..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok. i think you have the same problem as I used to have. i posted something a few mths ago ... i was really desperate then cos my 50 tetras, 12 zebras and 5 serpae among other cleaning fishes died over a few days and the final day, only 1 zebra is strong enough to hang on. waste level is really too high as i've overloaded the tank. you could be in the same shoes as me. get something to measure the ammonia, nitrite and pH levels.