Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: ARRRGGHHH shrimps vs xmass moss

ARRRGGHHH shrimps vs xmass moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my lovely xmass moss which took one month to grow nicely kena eaten up by my malayans!!! warning to all, the shrimps do eat the leaves off the stalks of the moss! sigh.... don't know what to do liao, impossible to remove the many small shrimps, and don't think the moss can outgrow the hungry shrimps.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    May I know:

How many shrimp you have? any YAMATO ?
    How big is your tank?

I have a 2ft tank, 20 gal, and about 60-70 malayans. do you think it's too many? i am going to try and remove a few tonite, i think it'll be quite an impossible task cuz I"ll be able to only get those which come out to feed, about only 7 or 8 of them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You gotta setup a trap for those shrimps... else its going to be very difficult...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    try feeding them with some algae wafers...and hope that they will leave your moss alone..
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    put altums or eel. heh

can say bye bye to the malayan shrimps after that. a puffer will work too..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    feed with alage waffer malayan shrimps love them
    Cheers!

Benetay

hmm... puffer = no shrimp? funny that.. i put one in about a month ago to control my snail problem... snails = gone, but i just now realized that i rarely see my shrimp now...! but im not sure if this is the puffer since he seems rather timid (for now, although i know they get aggresive later). He's also smaller than the shrimp too!

The little guy dosn't eat any flake food, just live stuff.. but i've never fed him, so im not sure what keeps him going (?) maybe its those shrimp lunches

Oh also, shrimp go nuts over riccia as well if there is no algae.

Casey

but acc to GENX boss, he says it can't be the malayans that did it,he suspects the fishes, says he never had that experience, but I noticed his tank did have some chewed up moss, left the stem only. I think perhaps his temp is low enuff that the moss outgrows the rate of loss.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    me willing to accept them (the rejects) from u.. hehehe[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Well, I had rosy barbs which chewed my christmass moss to stems until it looked a little like java moss. Now that they are gone, the christmas moss seems to be doing well. But to early to say. Never did notice prawns eating the moss though they hang out there.

To kill prawns, you could always introduce a small snakehead, once big enough, take out and boil with other ingredients lor.[]
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    agree with spilo, my 4 rosy bard managed to eat all the roots of my floating plants, first time ever I find water lettuce and frogbits failing to grow!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

so yeah prob's my fish that's eating the moss, thanx for sharing your experiences! anyway I"ve come to have the view that at the very least, my moss won't die just cuz it's being eaten, will still keep growing, and that its like having a growing source of food for my fish!