-1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Noob Iwagumi setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys! I've just done a simple not so good Iwagumi setup.[actually i'm not too sure if it was] I've planted some HG & Glosso, but they don't seems to be doing so well. Turning brown and then breaking off. Plus I've thought of maybe adding some other plants into it to better enhance the tank appearance. But not sure on what kind of plant is best recommend for my so call Iwagumi design.

Current tank specification is:
    -2ft by 1ft by 1ft
    -Overhead filter
    -T5 light
    -Disposable Co2(used, throw, buy a new Co2 canister)

Thank you in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Noob Iwagumi setup

Hi, maybe you can provide more information of your tank setup? like what type of soil are you using? what's the wattage of your light? how long is your setup? did you dose fertiliser? you might wanna change your OHF to canister filter or HOF. don't bother using disposable Co2 not very useful. HG and glosso are quite easy to grow, i've seen people growing both successfully without CO2 just using seacham excel. you might want to post a picture of your tank also this will help.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi ciaossu! Thanks for the reply to my thread. For the soil I'm using ANS with some of the ADA power soil. As for light, T5 aqua zonic 2 x 24W. No dosage of any form of fertiliser cause I'm afraid that it might affect my water for a long run. (Planning to keep shrimps.) I wanted to have a canister filter, but due to space constraint & the leak of support from my parents I've got no choice but to use a OFH instead. And I don't quite understand by: how long is the setup? Sorry I'm not too sure how to post a picture.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

post pic! i guess its gonna be awesome!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi jay, i mean how long has your tank been running? you definitely need to dose fertiliser for a planted tank especially iwagumi concept. plants need nutrient to grow by not dosing any fertiliser is like starving the plant. if you really want to create an iwagumi setup i suggest you invest in at least seachem excel and fertiliser. lights play apart too. as for shrimps, your best bet will be sakura shrimp they're very hardy, not as sensitive as CRS and they go along well with planted tank. normally, people that keep and breed CRS doesn't have plants in their tank except for mosses and some low maintainence plants and i suggest you change your filter to at least internal filter or HOF as the water impact from the OHF might disturb the subsrate and cause ammonia spike.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow! Lots of information from you bro! Very much appreciated! But wouldn't be adding the fertilizer affect the water for shrimps? Yep! i'm keeping sakura shrimps and some blue shrimps. As for the filter, I've did some DIY on it. To slow the rate of flow coming out of the filter. So i guess the substrate won't be affected. Currently the tank has been cycling for about a week or so. (still finding ways on how to post the picture onto the thread.)

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

What do you think of having a carpet moss?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No problem i'm using sharing what i know haha, anyway fertilizer wouldn't affect the shrimp as long as you don't overly overdose and since you're going for sakura and blue shrimp should be alright. carpet moss will be awesome, they can grow in low lights (depending on the types of moss common moss like java,spiky should be alright, some moss require cooler temperature to thrive)and it provides food for the shrimps too, since your light is T5 shouldn't be a problem just use one switch though.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry again for the late reply. Really busy with work. Anyway, which moss would you recommend for the best suit for a Capet design? Cause I know nuts about moss or rather plants!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can switch to a mini canister first,like eden 501 etc,as filtration plays a important part

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jay91 View Post
    Sorry again for the late reply. Really busy with work. Anyway, which moss would you recommend for the best suit for a Capet design? Cause I know nuts about moss or rather plants!
    i think spiky moss is good, but US fissiden is even better however, you need cool water for it to thrive temperature must be around 26-27 degree.