Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help me setup an ultra budget planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I think i need to KIV till i can get hold of Diana.
    Truth lasts for Eternality and lies are just waiting to be discovered.

http://bravobb-aqua.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would be glad to journal the tank here. I would need to tap the wisdom of you old birds so that problems can be rectified before it is too late. Also might be a good reference for those starting up. But I am afraid it would be boring one , sand at the bottom, some stem plants planted at the back and may be a piece of wood with some fern/moss on it in the middle.

I still have a lot of newbie question. Like where can I buy the soil that you mentioned. Would they muddy the water?

In Daiso's gardening section, I saw those dried tablets which can turn into soil when mixed with water. It says "peat" and the ingredient seems to be something like coconut husk. Can I use that?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you are using garden soil, I got mine from 7-11 many years ago. They seems to have stopped selling them. Do note that for garden soil, you will need to top it up with lapis like what Felix has mentioned. I have not tried Daiso tablets so I can't comment. Alternatively, if you can, try base substrate like JBL base fert or other botique substrate like ADA/ANS/Borneowild. I may have an unopened bag of JBL base fert for sale. For the rest of the branded substrate, they are available at most good LFS.

Hope this helps.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    If you are using garden soil, I got mine from 7-11 many years ago. They seems to have stopped selling them. Do note that for garden soil, you will need to top it up with lapis like what Felix has mentioned. I have not tried Daiso tablets so I can't comment. Alternatively, if you can, try base substrate like JBL base fert or other botique substrate like ADA/ANS/Borneowild. I may have an unopened bag of JBL base fert for sale. For the rest of the branded substrate, they are available at most good LFS.

Hope this helps.
    May I know what is the purpose for topping lapis sand? To prevent the soil from floating around?
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Help me setup an ultra budget planted tank

Quote Originally Posted by bennyc View Post
    May I know what is the purpose for topping lapis sand? To prevent the soil from floating around?
    Prevents you from making coffee besides having less floating stuff (if your using normal garden soil.)
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post
    In Daiso's gardening section, I saw those dried tablets which can turn into soil when mixed with water. It says "peat" and the ingredient seems to be something like coconut husk. Can I use that?
    those peat tablets are for cultivating potting/bonsai plants from seeds...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    those peat tablets are for cultivating potting/bonsai plants from seeds...
    Thanks. I read that we could have some dusting of peat at the bottom, I suppose we can't use 1 thick layer of it.

I got some lapis sand from a forum member that would probably cover slightly less than 1" of the bottom. So I now at have at least the top cover. Now I'll either need more sand, soil, or one of those fancy substrate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't know whether I should be doing the journal here. If mod think it is not appropriate I can move to other sub forums.

Anyway, here is my tank.

I custom made it in 2010 with the intention of using it as a clownfish/anemone tank. However, this is as far as it went before I lost interest and move on to other hobbies.

Lately I got back in the aquarium hobby. I consolidated both salt water tank to my main tank and emptied this tank. This is how it look like for a months or so. It is basically just a storage for liverocks.

I removed the sand today. When I figured out where to keep those liverocks, I could start filling it up with fresh water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I browsed around the LFS for light units, most of them are those old fashioned light strips, not quite what I am looking for.

While rummaging in the store room, I found this.

It looks like my handiwork, however I have no recollection that I made it. It seems like I made it for the refugium of my reef tank, and I don't remember even using it. So I intend to use it. I mounted it on a wooden plank from Daiso.

I initially had a different idea for the plank, it was a bit big for this. The distance between the 2 bulbs isn't even optimal. That is as far as the cable goes. I opted for the path of the least resistance.

I also slapped together a light stand with PVC pipes that I had for years. The pipes were meant to hang my 150W MH over my planned anemone tank, but never got around to do it. The structure of the light stand isn't what I planned for either, due to my calculation error. I should be getting more parts but I managed to change the design so that I can use only the parts I have. Again, the path of least resistance.

The bulb aren't the right ones too. The blue bulb is meant for my reef tank and the warm white bulb is meant for my dining table. I am still waiting for my bulbs from eBay, which are 2x12W white LED spotlights, which I worry might bit a bit too much for a "low light" tank. I really have no idea what is the WPG rule for LED. All I know is my 9W toilet LED bulb is brighter than the 24W compact fluorescent it replaced. If they are indeed too much I can go for lower wattage bulbs.

The spot light bulbs have a narrow dispersion. I like narrow dispersion bulb because all the light are directed into where I wanted, and not wasted outside of the tank. The downside is a tall light stand is needed. However, consequently the heat source (the light bulbs) is placed far away from the tank and thus minimising heat issue, even though LED is very efficient to begin with.

One added benefit to this arrangement compared to the typical tank lighting that sits on the tank, is that I can have things sticking out from the tank. One of the reason why the tank is custom made to have such a shallow dimension is because at the time I wanted to have rock structure that protrude out from the water surface. Which lead me to the the concept I have for the tank: I want to have the plants sticking out of the water by about 1 foot or more. I imagine, the plant would be exposed to the CO2 in the atmosphere and gets more light as it grows taller. And the water underneath would be shaded to minimise algae issue. But concept is one thing, the execution is another matter. As a newbie I don't know how well would the idea work, I hope you gurus would guide me along the path.

For that purpose, what plant should I be looking at? Swords? Or would anubias works too?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You may want to adjust the PVC stand when the project takes off. Depend on the 12w LED and if it has reflectors.
    As a backup suggestion those Phillips tornado series bulbs (E27 also) have 6500k ones that can be a alternative if LED does not work well i've got a 10w LED flood that on a normal 2 footer didn't feel right with just 1.

You do seem to be handy with small DIY, maybe consider making reflectors when the LED come. You might want to buy the Daiso longer planks narrow plank and just spray/paint them to the color you like.
    you should have lots of room for free play still.

Anyway your still doing filter-less correct? the wave-maker you initially thought is already in possession? having some current is actually good.

BTW, i see cheato !!!!

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The led spotlight has a very narrow beam, about 30 deg or so. There are very little light outside that hotspot. I actually have a pair of 24w tornado bulb, we'll see.

I just went to serangoon north, was expecting to find some substrate selection, but quite disappointing.

Now I am at ntuc looking at soils, may be I should just get these? Next stop would be Y618, never been there before.

Chaeto growing is my only horticultural experience.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think I'm pretty set on the filterless. I already sold my unused overhead filter, I hate using canister filter as I think they are a pain to clean. I already have the wavemaker. Since the atmosphere is the only source of CO2, may be it is important to have to prevent algae growth. Personally I think the Seio is butt ugly , I would need some creative way to hide it. Another thing is that I prefer a still water surface so that I can view the tank from the top, we can;t have everything I suppose.

I will be using 2 pieces of the 12W LED spotlight bulbs that have its own reflector. An LED without some kind of lens or reflector typically has a beam angle of 160 deg or so. I determined the height of the light stand using the blue bulb (I assume the coverage is similar) to make sure I get even enough spread. I think I the light should be placed even higher up but I am unwilling to make the stand that tall.

But if you need 2x10W for a regular 2 footer, I suppose mine can't be that much after all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am more efficient than I thought.

I am quite surprised that all those rocks could fit into the sump, which is filled to the brim with rocks now. The tank is pretty much ready, except that I have yet to deal with the tubings and pipings that are no longer needed (you can still see the overflow box at the back of the tank). I still have to wait for the bulbs to come in before I can add plants. So in the mean time I can focus on the substrate question.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The ones from ntuc can be used, tried them before. The brand Horti is fine, quite a few using..
    In the case you do live near a plan nursery (like the one near boon keng, far east flora that stretch) plain potting mix works well too & their dirt cheap, $2.50 each for my last 3 bags.

the SEIO looks like a alien if it's going to be the ONLY running item

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I bought a 3kg bag of the horti soil, with the 10 kg of lapis sand I got, I think they would make about 1+", but I think I would prefer a bit more lapis sand.

Then while hunting for more lapis sand in the buy and sell forum I came across someone selling Fluorite, which by my estimation cover about 2-3" thick. I reserved it but will only collect it next week. It looks like the soil and the sand would be useless now. I always ended up with things I don't need when setting up tanks.

I think the substrate are more or less settled. Even if the Fluorite deal don't go through I can just add a bit more lapis from LFS. Now I can worry about plants.

From what I have read, it seems that apart from carpeting plants and red plants, most other stuffs can be kept in low tech tanks? Meaning most of those $1 a pot plant from LFS would work? I have a lot of trouble IDing plants. Matching online photos to the actual thing in the LFS is quite hard for me, they all look the same.

And I want plants that can grow out of the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ya most of the $1 pot can grow in low tech, crypts also but they're $3 a pot a little bit expensive. you can use hairgrass or e tenellus as your foreground they do carpet but very slow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks.

So between those grass like plants and moss, I suppose moss carpets faster?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if you don't know which typical plants that would grow well / nice & suit your taste.
    i suggest you plant multiple foreground plants option. After few weeks you can decide which suit you the most, because some plants that suit your taste may / maybe not suitable with your current tank environment.

Like formerly i like HC, but that was my first tank i have no knowledge at all. In the end, it's all rotten and melted. And discover nor i was providing them enough light / my tank temperature is quite high. I re-scaped majority of the plants, and i'm quite happy with mix of dwarf hairgrass & glosso. Similarly with mid & background plants

Hope it helps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you.

Yes, I very much like to avoid plants that have no chance of surviving. One of the first thing I learned running salt water tank is that never buy anything you don't know about. However that is quite a problem though since I can't ID the plant.

I think I can quite confidently ID water sprite and wisteria, both appears to be considered easy to grow. Along with anubias and the various ferns I think they make a decent variety already. Then I suppose I could add a few more pots of the $1 plant to see if they can survive.

Which leads to the question, where is a good place for plants? I wouldn't buy them so soon but I would like to see what are the commonly available species locally. What would be a good place for variety and quality? And which would be the best in prices?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Prevents you from making coffee besides having less floating stuff (if your using normal garden soil.)
    Is this consider garden soil ?
    Truth lasts for Eternality and lies are just waiting to be discovered.

http://bravobb-aqua.blogspot.sg/

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast