Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Suggested range for shutter speed and focal length?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Suggested range for shutter speed and focal length?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

I am recently working on my digital camera to get a good pic of my tank.

I would like to know
    1) What is the suggested range of shutter speed (1/250....) for bright lighted tank.

2) What about the focal length (f2.8.....)?

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Chua,

Focal length is the "reach of your lens". It's normally indicated in XXmm. Focal length somehow differ for digital compact cameras and Digital SLR. i.e. 28mm on your DLSR will become something like 6mm on the digital compact camera. The longer the focal length, the narrower the scope of view.

Aperture is indicated by F stops, which is represented by values such as F2.8, F8.0 etc. This is the ring inside the lens that control the amount the light getting into the lens.

Shutter speed is the time at which the shutter opens and closes. It controls how long your media (digital or film) is exposed to the incoming light. Normally represented by 1/xx second or xx seconds.

If you indicate you camera band and model and show us a picture that you are not happy with, we'll help you sort out the problem.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you are not using flash, just the tank lighting, you will not achieve the shutter speed necessary to freeze fast moving fishes. Probably you would be able to achieve 1/50 using higher ISO, but that would incur noise.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:8813ee5f00="hwchoy"]if you are not using flash, just the tank lighting, you will not achieve the shutter speed necessary to freeze fast moving fishes. Probably you would be able to achieve 1/50 using higher ISO, but that would incur noise.[/quote:8813ee5f00]

In addition, the shutter speed will also be too slow to take the shot handheld. You should mount the camera on a tripod, so that at least the plants will be sharp.