Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Stricta stunted growth

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Planted an emersed Stricta from Teo at the left hand corner of my tank more than 1 month ago. Saw it transform into submersed form about 3 weeks ago. Since last 1 week I have noticed that the Stricta has stopped growing taller. Understand that Stricta are fast growers and grow easily out of the tank. I was surprised that it has only reached halfway to the top of my tank and not going any further for 1 week already. I can see that its roots has reached my base fert. Is there any reason for the sudden stunted growth of the Stricta?

Tank Dimensions (LxWxH): 5' x 2' x 2'
    Lighting Intensity(No of Watts) : 9 x 36W PL + 2 x 40W FL
    No. of Hours your light is on: 8.5 hrs
    CO2 Injection Rate (bps) : 3 bps
    Type of CO2 (: Tank
    Method of Injection (e.g. Diffusor/Reactor): Diffusor
    Substrate Used : river bed sand + Dennerle deponit base fert
    How Thick is your base fert : 1.5 inch
    How thick is your gravel : 3 - 4 inch
    Liquid Fertilizers Used : Dr Mallick KNO3 & K2SO4 + Fe & Micro
    Frequency of fertilization : Twice a week
    Tank Temperature : 27 - 28 deg C
    Type of Filter (overhead/internal/canister) : Cannister
    How long has your tank been set up : 4 months

Chemical Properties (Fill what you can)
    ---------------------------------------

Carbonate Hardness (kh): 4-5
    PH : 6.7 - 6.8
    NH4 (ppm):
    NO2 (ppm):
    NO3 (ppm): 3
    PO4 (ppm): 0.25
    Fe (ppm): 1

Bioload (Your Fish and Plants)
    ------------------------------
    70 cardinal, 50 glowlight tetra, 15 yamato shrimps, 1 holland ram, 3 SAE, 4 dwarf pencil

Your advises are greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    Leroy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If your other plants are doing well, I don't think there is much to worry. Give it abit more time and monitor closely.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You are using a diffusor for a 5 feet tank? Have you check the pH around the tank? How big are the differences in pH? Circulation is critical in a big tank like yours and not doing it right can have an impact on plant growth where the CO2 and nutrients are not getting to. What kind of kit are you using for the NO3? At 3ppm, even a LaMotte might have trouble in terms of accuracy. You are better off doing a large water change and dosing back all the nutrients and once or twice more during the week.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry misinformed. Should be a reactor (those with balls inside). The Strictas are actually placed around the reactor. PH is quite balanced in my tank becoz I am using a rainbar to attach to the reactor to create circulation around.

The NO3 might not be accurate as you mentioned. It is actually a AZOO brand. It falls under 5 on the color chart and I estimate it at 3ppm. The PO4 chart is using a SERA one. I actually overdose NO3 for last 3 weeks when I miscalculated the correct levels. And recalculated when I noted recurring green spot algae after I dose. Now I have corrected the dosing to about 1 teaspoon each time direct into tank which should give me about 8ppm. I feed my critters on alternate days basis.

I do 50% water change weekly. My other plants are growing well except for the stricta near the reactor and bheleri (signs of yellowish tips for older leaves).

Advise appreciated. Maybe I should start dosing PO4 as well?

Leroy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do not trust the NO3 kit. Since you are doing 50% weekly water changes, you might do the estimative index method.

Prune and scrub the tank well
    Clean the filter if clogged
    50% weekly water change
    7ppm of NO3 from KNO3 3x a week
    1ppm of PO4 from KH2PO4 3x a week
    25ml of micros 3x a week
    Main key with this method is the CO2. Keep it at 20-30ppm range but error on the higher side of things.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter,

After dosing NO3 and PO4 as per your recommendation, the stricta has shown growth now. So does my bleheri. However, please advise if I still need to dose PO4 if it measures 1ppm base on SERA brand. I have seen increase in green algae growth on the glass last week before water change as well as yesterday (water change on Sat). Today I only dosed the NO3 at 8ppm and did not dose the PO4.

Leroy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Check the CO2...Make sure it stays in good range during the entire photoperiod. Try to error on the higher side of things for the CO2. Do not trust the PO4 kit...add back the PO4 as suggested (N uptake slows down as PO4 is low or in limiting range). As long as the nutrients do not run out at any time of the week (CO2 included), you should be fine. Err..is your tank heavily planted or sparsely? Try to add more temporary plants if plant mass is low.

Regards
    Peter Gwee