Country
    Singapore

newbie help: Fujifilm F601Z

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I am currently using a Fujifilm F601Z (Zoom) model for family use. I would like to take similar fantastic macro photos like those seen here, like lougarou, benny and hwchoy...wow, they really blow me away.

Ok, I'm almost a complete idiot when it comes to photography, so would like to ask some basic questions. I know how to use the macro function on the camera (the one with the flower icon).

1. Is my camera too under-spec to do beautiful macro shots? I think my optical zoom is ony 3x.
    2. If answer to 1 is yes, what level of optical zoom is recommended? Is SLR a must?
    3. If answer to 1 is no, what am I doing wrong? ok, realise this is impossible to answer. Maybe phrase it another way, are there some standards steps which I should do before taking a shot to ensure a good shot.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Boon Yong,

ok. Let me start by finding out more about your camera...

When the camera was launched in Jan 2002, it boast of the following features..

1. New 3rd Generation Super CCD sensor and advanced LSI algorithm (3.1 million effective pixels) producing class-leading 6.03 million recorded pixels (2,832 x 2,12

2. Full photographic control including full manual exposure, aperture & shutter priority, advanced focus and metering options

3. Ultra-high sensitivity of 160-1600 ISO

4. High speed shooting at up to 5 frames per second

5. Powerful built-in flash

So...

At maximum resolution, this is 6 MP camera that can produced an image that has a resolution of 2,832 X 2,128 pixel. That's pretty high!

Effectively, you can go up to ISO 400 if you want to use the above resolution.

In terms of metering, you can choose between 64-zone TTL, Spot (important) and Center-Weighted Average.

Optical zoom is 3 X, which should be sufficient to get some decent photos.

In normal mode, you can focus from 60 cm (2.0 ft) to Infinity. But in macro mode, you can focus from 20 cm - 80 cm (0.7 - 2.6 ft). Another important point.

As for white balance, you have the following options.. Auto, Fine, Shade, Fluorescent (Daylight, Warm White, Cool White) and Incandescent.

I believe you can get very good macro pictures to be used on the internet given what I can see from the specifications of the camera.

Before I proceed further, perhaps you can post 2 pictures, one which you are not happy with even though you thought you did everything right. And the other which you are satisfied with, though you wish it could be better.

From there, we will be able to help you get more out of your camera, and look as accessories to maximise your mileage if you do not wish to upgrade.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, if you just want pictures to show on the web and be proud of, your camera has the capability, although Benny didn't mention flash but lighting up your fish adequately to gain a good shutter speed without incurring too much ISO noise would be an important consideration.

If you shoot small fishes (less than 2-inches) you would need some more magnification, otherwise 3× zoom is OK. I am more concerned about that 6million "recorded pixels", wonder how good it is when there is actually only 3 million physical sensors.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I thought this was one of my better shots. But still not the super close up type that I see on the forum. Didn't try with a fish. Moving too much to get a good shot, so tried with a static plant first.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    quite good lah Boon Yong, except metering a bit blown because of the bright leaves. you can play with various metering modes to see the different effects. as for close ups, don't expect compared with what you see e.g. most of my pics are taken with +4 to +9 close-up filters on top of a 4× zoom. The other DSLR users probably uses a 1:1 macro with 2× close-up.

also if you have a lot of pixels, you can also crop your picture down and still have enough pixels for web-posting purpose.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

I use this model of camera (borrowed from friend) quite regularly for my graphic design works. Personally, it's a versatile camera that is light and compact to bring along everywhere I go, though ergonimically, it's quite badly design.

I did many macro for nature texture effects using this camera. The macro function is enough for general close up shot, though it has limitation that I can't go closer, but I compensate with higher resolution to do the cropping. Still the result is different if you ask, compare to SLR.

The super CCD does not perform as well as hyped. Canon G3 give sharper result compare to this model.

Generally, as a SLR user, if you asked me which type of camera give more creative possibilities, I'll definitely choose SLR if I can afford for serious work. But I also love the lighter one in case I can't bring such heavy SLR along everywhere I go. It's not the specification that both type have, but about the different perspective and control both type of camera give. SLR has unlimited possibilies of creating images through the lenses and flashes you used, not the other. But at least, I still able to produce something good from the lighter one - better then none for my works.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have seen very nice closeup photo taken with this camera.
    The main challange in taking aquatic photos is low light, which means you have to use slow speed and large aperture. Some of the nice photos you see in this forum are taken with additional light source from external flash.