Thread: Mould Growing => Normal?

Feedback Score

Mould Growing => Normal?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I have about 3" of gravel, and I find there's growth of mould from 1" to 2.5" on the glass.

Is that normal? How do I get rid of it? Getting off the sand and scrub away the mould? Please advise.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    searching on the web reveals:
    Brown Algae:
    I've found this the most easy algae to clean up. They're not true algae either, but are actually diatoms. They cover the glass, gravel, ornaments, plastic and real plants with a brown coating. Gravel siphoning and scrubbing it off should remove it. Most algae are attracted to an excess of light, but this form of algae comes up usually in new tanks or tanks with less light. Increasing the light will get rid of brown algae, but might bring up other types of algae. There are only very few algae eating fish who will eat brown algea. Plecostomus and otocinclus are the most likely fish to eat it, and probably only if they have no other food source.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi s050399b

Brown algae appear is due to under light?
    my brother's tank on the light from 0700 - 2300
    not so sure what type of bulbs he use, but its white colour, and long type, got 2 shining at the tank, fixed on the tank top cover.

but, still sees this algae growing
    do i need to on the light 24hr???
    day before (Sunday) i fed the fishes, not a lot of them, with 3 pinches of fish food...
    but i did not wait to see the fishes finish the food.. and i just go back to my home...
    there was already this brown thing on the glass... and i tort nothing of it.

yesterday (Monday), when i saw the tank, it scare me made me so worried!
    the brown algae grow more!

thou i tried to contact my brother (overseas) immediate but he did not pick the call

therefore i searched online for the cure.... =(

thanks to you!!!!