Feedback Score

sex of Betta splendens

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    how to see the sex of betta?
    Crowntails (CT) and Halfmoons (HM) ..

** er.. that time i went teo's and gan's with some buddy here.. who is that with his gf ?? forgetten the nick. hehe..
    Last edited by Justikanz; 7th Jan 2007 at 01:50.
    All Fishes Lover Are Welcome
    ~~-=-=~~
    http://s4.invisionfree.com/flowerhorn

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I may not be right, but male and female bettas can best be differentiated by:

1. Females tend to have a shorter body length compared to the male; and matured females will have a distinctive buldge around its belly.

2. Males nearing its maturity tend to build a bubble nest on the water surface, often triggered by water changes or when a female is present.

I do hope I have answered to your question but of course if there's anything else anyone would want to add please do share.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think in female's body, you can see a white area, not so clear la, but you can see, that is her ovary.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 20th Dec 2006 at 11:49.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh yes, there'll be a small white spot below her belly, which is supposed to be her ovary. There's a name to it though. I'll get it checked and let you know again soon!.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you guys referring to Betta splendens only right? There are 60 species of Betta and the sexual dimorphism amongst them are quite varied.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I didn't know that there was a difference in the "tell-tale" signs among the Betta splenders family. I'm sharing through my experience with CTs and HMs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CTs and HMs are Betta splendens, unless the breeding for finnage has swarmed out their normal signs. In general females have deeper body (i.e. not so slim) and anal fin is rounded at the tip (applies to most labyrinths I assume also applies to splendens). Males generally have much more extended finnage, longer ventral fins, and pointed or extended anal fin.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do note that sometimes female betta do create bubble nest too, especially in the absence of a male. For me, I will look out for the white spot as described above as well as the slight bluge in the belly for eggs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    The male female differnts in CTs and HMs are as easy as night and day. Unless you're asking about younger CTs and HMs like 5 weeks and under. Then mostly all the female fry will have a strip running down the sides. but as in adults or juveniles it's simple the tail and mainly dorsal fins that tell male , female.

Male HM

female HM

Male CT

I don't have a female CT as i bred my male CTs to Plakat (PK) females. But the female CT is tons differnt then the male way shorter fins and less pronounced spikes. Now HMPKs (halfmoon plakats) male and females takes some real looking. A lot of people confuse PKs (plakat) with round tail and short tails.

here's a HMPK male

female HMPK

If you have any other questions let me know
    Last edited by Justikanz; 7th Jan 2007 at 01:53. Reason: Editing for ease of reading
    I'm a hugh betta freak and proud of that. I own 34 of the Pks {plakat] the ture fighting betta not a half bred.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    very simple to tell the males from the females.

males are very colorful and the girls will be less and some times drab, BUT some females will surprize you and actually have some nice coloring to them.
    Nina
    2.5g 1 Male Betta "Flipper"
    1Gal 1 Female Betta " Aurora"

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the white spot under the belly is an ovipositor.