6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

American Flagfish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Saw American Flagfish (Jordanella floridae) at C328*. First time I've ever seen this particular species of killifish being sold in Singapore.

*If you're standing in the corridor in front of the shop, the tank with the flagfishes (mixed in with assorted community fishes like tiger barbs) is located on the right side of the shop, close to where the feeders are bagged and stored.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: American Flagfish

Very rare indeed.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sammajor View Post
    Very rare indeed.
    Holy crap! I just went there yesterday...this (American Flagfish) is also one of the effective algae eaters right?

Any idea how to distinguish the american flagfish from a "typical" killifish? Does American Flagfish have a deeper body, i.e. almost as deep as gouramis? & not being as slender as killifishes?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It appears C328 has ran out of them, at least from what I can scrutinise of the entire wall of tanks near the entrance where the substrate are stacked. However, PolyArt has 8 of them remaining (after my purchase). Information accurate as of yesterday 7pm.

The pair in my office is happily munching on excess algae. They appear to be interested in the brown crud that accumulates near my filter outlet (lip) too. No (drab) females spotted though; I saw only males at PolyArt.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Fellows, is it normal if my flagfish(es) are taking intermittent bites out of my plants? i.e. not targeting any (plant) species in particular, but rather, just literally biting & tearing randomly (& with some chewing too).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes it is normal and yes it will continue doing so even with adequate algae in the tank for them to munch on. These flagfish are not primarily algae eaters. They are omnivorous and will need some animal-based protein in their diet. Majority sold locally are of the "balloon" form. They are quite stocky fish.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.