52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Growing Riccia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Many of us have had successes with growing riccia to the extent that some think that they're a pest plant.

Various methods of growing involve:

- letting them float on the surface
    - tying them to a mesh using fishing lines, facing the riccia towards the light
    - tying them to a rock using netting

There are questions I will like to ask, which is:

- am I able to grow the riccia by just covering them with mesh?
    (like creating a box, and containing them under the mesh)
    I understand that what keeps them from floating is the weight of the mesh, but how small should the mesh opening size be such that they will receive enough light to grow?

- is there any difference for growing between mini riccia and riccia? Speaking of which, is any fellow hobbyist able to do a comparison/ measurement of the mini riccia and riccia?

- is riccia able to be grown low-tech?, ie. without co2 injection at least.

This is my first time growing riccia, and want to avoid the possibility of tying and re-tying the plant as much as possible. Hope anyone is able to help me shine a light on this issue.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Growing Riccia

1) Yes, you can grow riccia by covering it with a mesh, as the riccia will find its way out of the mesh, same as mosses. Some LFS are even selling a 'Riccia box,' which is basically a small flat plastic box with mesh on top, to put your riccia in. I think that the mesh size should be slightly larger than the stainless steel meshes sold in LFS. However, those meshes should also allow riccia to grow, albeit more slowly.

2) I've never kept mini riccia, but I think there should not be any difference.

3) Riccia will definitely grow in low tech aquariums. I have only tried growing riccia submerged in a high tech tank with CO2 injection; but I have grown a lot floating in my low tech tank, without CO2.

Hope this helps!