3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

13 Litre Nano Tank!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Thanks for the clarification. Is it okie with you if i request for you to post a photo of your filter setup, mainly to show how the lily pipes and the mesh are all connected using the o-rings and single tap to the inlet and outlet tubings. Sorry if it's too much trouble.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 13 Litre Nano Tank!

Quote Originally Posted by lionelckg View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. Is it okie with you if i request for you to post a photo of your filter setup, mainly to show how the lily pipes and the mesh are all connected using the o-rings and single tap to the inlet and outlet tubings. Sorry if it's too much trouble.
    Sure, i'll take a few photos of my filter setup and post it up for reference... which reminds me, i guess its about time for me to clean the filter too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

nice and neat set-up

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: 13 Litre Nano Tank!

For reference, this is how i currently position the Eden 501 canister filter alongside my tank:

I installed an Eheim single tap on the output hose to allow me to control the flow rate. I didn't install double taps because the filter is so compact that i usually just carry it along with the hoses during filter cleaning anyways.

You can position the canister filter quite easily behind some magazine files or books to hide it away from view (like what i did in my first post).

As some of you may have noticed by now, i've been doing some re-arrangements on the tank placements in my room, so this nano tank is currently being placed temporarily on my new shelving... it'll be moved yet again when more tanks are added.

Here is how i adapted the 10mm glass intake to fit with the 13mm stainless steel mesh guard:

I simply stacked a few small o-rings (found them randomly from my hobby toolbox and they miraculously fit) to create a larger collar on the 10mm glass intake and then just slid the 13mm mesh guard over it to create a watertight seal.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 22nd Feb 2013 at 04:42.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    For reference, this is how i currently position the Eden 501 canister filter alongside my tank:

I installed an Eheim single tap on the output hose to allow me to control the flow rate. I didn't install double taps because the filter is so compact that i usually just carry it along with the hoses during filter cleaning anyways.

You can position the canister filter quite easily behind some magazine files or books to hide it away from view (like what i did in my first post).

As some of you may have noticed by now, i've been doing some re-arrangements on the tank placements in my room, so this nano tank is currently being placed temporarily on my new shelving... it'll be moved yet again when more tanks are added.

Here is how i adapted the 10mm glass intake to fit with the 13mm stainless steel mesh guard:

I simply stacked a few small o-rings (found them randomly from my hobby toolbox and they miraculously fit) to create a larger collar on the 10mm glass intake and then just slid the 13mm mesh guard over it to create a watertight seal.
    Hi,

May i know where did you get the mesh more? Look very interesting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    May i know where did you get the mesh more? Look very interesting.
    I got the gUSH 13mm stainless steel mesh guard from Green Chapter.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

read from another forum, claiming that the led light actually increased their water temperature by 1-2 degrees. true??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by pyl View Post
    read from another forum, claiming that the led light actually increased their water temperature by 1-2 degrees. true??
    So far i've not encountered any increase in my water temperature when using these LED light sets... actually, my water temperature is more stable ever since i switched to these LED lights (previously i was using T5 lights and those became very hot even after just a few hours of usage).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow how many tanks you have now and how many more are you adding?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need to ask also about the fissidens? Do they require trimming?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cosmico View Post
    Wow how many tanks you have now and how many more are you adding?
    Currently i have 3 tanks running... a 32 litre "tree scape" tank, a 20 litre shrimp only tank and this 13 litre nano tank.

I'm planning to add another 2 x 32 litre tanks to put on the new shelving in a rack format (thinking of trying a moss tank layout and maybe a rock hardscape based mountain layout too).

Now i'm trying to figure out how to link up more power sockets to run all the additional equipment!

I've been asked why i don't just get one large 3 or 4 ft tank instead... my reason is because at this stage i'm keen to try out and experience different aquascaping styles, so multiple smaller tanks allow me to do that.

Need to ask also about the fissidens? Do they require trimming?
    So far for the mini fissidens in my tank, they seem to just grow to max 1-2cm length leaves then they start to automatically spread to new areas of the wood, so i have not found a need to trim them... i even have small bunches of fissidens establish on the soil substrate and grow there (hopefully they eventually grow into a fissidens carpet). Even my stainless steel filter mesh guard has fissidens growing there too (can see little fronds growing out from in between the mesh).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What happens if you have to travel away for some time. I've been thinking about it,things like feeding,lights,power failures etc2. all these things during my absent.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What happens if you have to travel away for some time. I've been thinking about it,things like feeding,lights,power failures etc2. all these things during my absent.
    I actually encountered such a situation during my recent overseas work trip last month, i was traveling for 4 days, so i gave the fishes and shrimps one normal feeding just before i left (apparently its okay not to feed them for up to a week).

While i was away, my housekeeper unplugged the power strip that is connected to all my tank filters and lights, so that she could use the vacuum cleaner... then she forgot to plug the power strip back.

So all my tanks had no lights and no filtration for almost 3 days.

When i got back, i quickly switched everything back on again and did a headcount on the fishes and shrimps, all were accounted for and healthy (some of the fishes were even slightly fat, not sure what food they managed to find in my absence, maybe shrimplets?). The plants were all okay. I tested the tank water parameters and they were all still the same, it was as if nothing had happened.

I guess with such low maintenance tanks that have been fully cycled (and with easy plants and reasonable bio load), they seem to be able to tolerate such temporary outages which would otherwise create disaster in a higher maintenance tank.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This is my worry too when i go on holidays. Nice to hear you have no major problems after the accident. Wonder if that happen to me, i would have any fauna left.
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can the rubber o rings be replaced with say plumbing thread those white colored ones?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can the rubber o rings be replaced with say plumbing thread those white colored ones?
    If you are referring to those white "teflon tape" designed for wrapping around tap connection threads, i guess it should be possible... as long as you can wrap enough layers of the tape until the larger diameter mesh guard can fit nicely with the smaller diameter intake pipe, it could probably work too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Based on the urban aquaria bro's photos, the o rings are quite thick. The white tape is very thin, you will probably need to buy minimum 3 rolls or more. To allow 13mm diameter to fit 10mm. Why not get the orings similar to the bro?

Alternatively, you can try thick black rubber bands, i would think they might work too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bennyc View Post
    Alternatively, you can try thick black rubber bands, i would think they might work too.
    That's a good idea... rubber bands could work too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I managed to do it with the piping thread.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cosmico bro care to show how it is done, i think it would benefit everyone interested in doing so. Which includes me! Haha. It would be best if there are photos.
    Thanks in advance.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast