Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

a week after setup - some brown spots on glass

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    notice some brown spots appear on back on glass tank, CO2 defuser... what is it?? algae???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Most probably diatomic brown algae. Often occurs in new tank setups. Otos eat it.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:5672d6d6c4="Aeon"]Most probably diatomic brown algae. Often occurs in new tank setups. Otos eat it.[/quote:5672d6d6c4]

SAE can too???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Having an algae crew is fine for keeping new algae growth under control but most of the work should be done by you. You need to go in and work on the algae, do a large water change right after and address the real cause of it. Addressing the real cause of the algae is the long term goal unless you like them. Give plants what they want to grow and you would have less or no issues with algae.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c00e965c46="joestoys"][quote:c00e965c46="Aeon"]Most probably diatomic brown algae. Often occurs in new tank setups. Otos eat it.[/quote:c00e965c46]

SAE can too???[/quote:c00e965c46]

I don't think SAE will eat these brown algae.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    last night cleaned the glass and did a 10% water change. IS it alright do larger water change 30%, worried it might upset the good bacterial trying to establish itself.

current the light total is 182w only- x 2 54w 5ft FL and x2 37w 4ft FL

now the algae crew is only the 12 mollies.

Forms in soft brown clumpy patches. In the freshwater aquarium, these are usually diatoms. Usually indicates a lack of light or an excess of silicates. Increased light levels will usually make it disappear. Easily removed by wiping the glass or siphon vacuuming the affected area.
    that means i need to increase the light - 2-3w per gallon=3.2L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:bf4a1b6d0a="juggler"][quote:bf4a1b6d0a="joestoys"][quote:bf4a1b6d0a="Aeon"]Most probably diatomic brown algae. Often occurs in new tank setups. Otos eat it.[/quote:bf4a1b6d0a]

SAE can too???[/quote:bf4a1b6d0a]

I don't think SAE will eat these brown algae.[/quote:bf4a1b6d0a]

Some of the brown algae also grows on the interior of the inlet and outlet pipes of my ehiem ext. canister. Whenever I change the filter media, I'll have to stop the pump. After switching on the pump again, the force of the water somehow dislodge some of the brown algae and drives them into the main water column. My SAEs are most glad to eat them though...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d42a9ceb9e="mad scientist"][quote:d42a9ceb9e="juggler"][quote:d42a9ceb9e="joestoys"][quote:d42a9ceb9e="Aeon"]Most probably diatomic brown algae. Often occurs in new tank setups. Otos eat it.[/quote:d42a9ceb9e]

SAE can too???[/quote:d42a9ceb9e]

I don't think SAE will eat these brown algae.[/quote:d42a9ceb9e]

Some of the brown algae also grows on the interior of the inlet and outlet pipes of my ehiem ext. canister. Whenever I change the filter media, I'll have to stop the pump. After switching on the pump again, the force of the water somehow dislodge some of the brown algae and drives them into the main water column. My SAEs are most glad to eat them though...[/quote:d42a9ceb9e]

Those are not brown algae. Those are slime consisting of bacteria.

BC