Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Stoopid question

Stoopid question

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a 16" tank for my kids with 3 neon tetras, 2 copper tetras, 4 cleaner fish, 2 red-eye, 1 rummy-nose and 2 dunno-what fish.
    Total 14.
    Except for the neons, the rest are abt 1" length max.

The tank has a small plant with 1 small vertical rock. Is the no. of fish population too high? Pls advise. I wanna stop my kids from buying more fishes esp the neons.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's probably enough. If it looks cramped, it is cramped. Most important of all is whether your biological filtration can handle the bioload.
    I'm back!

am using a simple jebo waterfall-type hang-on filtration.
    dunno why my fishes dying 1 by 1.....used to have 20+ but this morning down to 13. one casualty last nite. Change 30% water on Sunday.

any help?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you can try growing/putting more plants. Plants have a calming effect on fishes I read...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how old are your children? If they are able to read, why not get or borrow some simple books on fish (not necessary aquaria), animals and pet-keeping and share this with them? Help them to understand that fish (like humans) need certain conditions to thrive (i.e. good water, no overcrowding) and I think it could well get them started on a healthy, livelong interest in nature.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How often do you change the water?
    small tanks needs more water changes. esp. if you do not have plants to help remove the toxic products generated from fish waste, excess food etc.

Also, how long has your fishes been inside and how have they been introduced into the tank?
    If they have not been properly introduced in the tank, likely you will get lots of casualty due to PH/Temp shock etc.

Robin
    i always fighting algae but still got more

Re:

[quote:03af4a3664="robin"]How often do you change the water?

My 1st water change of 30% was over the weekend.

small tanks needs more water changes. esp. if you do not have plants to help remove the toxic products generated from fish waste, excess food etc.

Also, how long has your fishes been inside and how have they been introduced into the tank?
    Hv been keeping them (10 fishes) for over 1 month. everything was ok until I added more fishes and the new ones started dying after abt 4-5 days.
    If they have not been properly introduced in the tank, likely you will get lots of casualty due to PH/Temp shock etc.
    I usually put the bag in the tank for abt 30m-1hr and then I release them gradually mixing the aquarium water with those from the LFS.

Robin[/quote:03af4a3664]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That means that you do monthly water changes?
    After keeping the fishes for a month then last weekend 30% water change (if I didn't understand wrongly). That is too long.
    Suggest you change about 25% of water weekly.

Also, the sudden increase in bioload may be the cause of death. As your filter bacteria may not be able to handle the sudden increase in waste. This means that the waste will not be broken down into less harmful substances efficiently.

Also, how gradual was you gradual mixing? I usually float the new bag and immediately add a little water in. Then over the course of 1 hr add more water from the tank every 15 minutes. After that, i just take out all the fish and put them in the new tank and throw away the LFS water. Almost always no casualty.

Flaoting your bag on the water only serves to help equalise the temperature.

Robin

Re:

[quote:e35c052f4b="robin"]That means that you do monthly water changes?
    After keeping the fishes for a month then last weekend 30% water change (if I didn't understand wrongly). That is too long.
    Suggest you change about 25% of water weekly.

Also, the sudden increase in bioload may be the cause of death. As your filter bacteria may not be able to handle the sudden increase in waste. This means that the waste will not be broken down into less harmful substances efficiently.

Also, how gradual was you gradual mixing? I usually float the new bag and immediately add a little water in. Then over the course of 1 hr add more water from the tank every 15 minutes. After that, i just take out all the fish and put them in the new tank and throw away the LFS water. Almost always no casualty.

Flaoting your bag on the water only serves to help equalise the temperature.

Robin[/quote:e35c052f4b]

ok...lesson learnt. will try yr method.

As for the bioload, how do i manage this? sorry, am new to all this fishy mumbo-jumbo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Either add more plants or rear less fish.
    More plants will help absorb waste products from fishes.
    However, conditions must be right (lights, CO2, fert, temp etc.) Do read up on some of the other plant keeping threads.

Also, if you are considering not having any strong lights/co2, try reading budak (marcus) 's article on low maintenence small tanks.

Robin