Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Wild caught fishes

Wild caught fishes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i had just set up a four feet planted tank already for one month. everything is ready except there is no fishes at all.
    i want to buy wild fishes only. what are the type of wild fishes in LFS? and how do i know if it is really from wild?
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well, the ubiquitous cardinal tetra Paracheirodon axelrodi is wild

why don’t you post those fishes you have in mind and we tell you whether they are likely to be wild or not. A quick list:
    • all Boraras spp.
    • Trigonostigma espei
    • most of the Corydoras spp. from Gan
    • Rasbora vulcanus
    • Rasbora rubrodorsalis
    • Danio choprai
    • all Microrasbora spp.
    • all Sundadanio spp.
    • Inlecypris auropurpureus
    • most if not all Barilius spp.
    well, I think that’s quite enough for a while :P
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Thanks for the info! that was fast!
    i have 4 fishes in mind but just not sure if they are wild.
    cardinal tetra
    rummy nose tetra
    hatches fish ( not sure spelling, it's those that can fly)
    any kind of corydoras.
    Thanks for any info!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    with exception of the rummynose, which I am not sure of, the rest are wild. oh but you would want to post the specific species of cory as I believe some are bred. But I believe those imported by Gan should be wild.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:aebbaa95e1="hwchoy"]with exception of the rummynose, which I am not sure of, the rest are wild. oh but you would want to post the specific species of cory as I believe some are bred. But I believe those imported by Gan should be wild.[/quote:aebbaa95e1]

sam yick at Marine Parade has some wild caught rummies. Been there for some time already. Price is about 5-6 times more than those farm-bred ones you find in other lfs.

i'm just abit more careful. my neighbour is con by our market fish store. the owner sell him seven neon tetra which he claim is from the wild. He sell wild and also the breed neon tetra in his shop.
    the wild neon tetra are the ones with this features:
    *the eyes are pop out.
    *the scales are pointing are out ( seems like popcupine to me)
    *the size is much bigger like they have just finish a big meal.
    The owner told him wild neon tetra will be bigger as they are from the wild.

But when he bought home, five die on the first day, and the other two die on the next day.
    Are the neon tetra really from the wild and we don't know how to take care and die off. Or they are just not wild?

My neighbour bought the wild neon tetra at $0.80 each

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ask your neighbour to read about dropsy.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Thomas,

I think it's wise to take what's said by many LFS with a pinch of salt.... they are not necessarily out to dupe you, but are just repeating what their own suppliers (and their suppliers) tell them. (But oh yes, on second reading, i think that market LFS really needs some "education" - if they accept it graciously, fine. But if they still try to pull a fast one, don't bother doing business with them again)

As far as I know, all neons are farm-bred, as with many other common species like serpaes, black widows, cherry barbs, tiger barbs, white clouds.... while hard-to-breed species like rummy noses and cardinals tend to be wild caught.

Some farm bred species have gained a reputation for poor quality (due to inbreeding?), but wild fish are also highly likely to bear parasites from their natural habitats. I think it's not possible to say whether farmed or wild fish are better. There are also fish supplied by home breeders (e.g. bettas, killies) using wild stock.

Also, if the conditions in the LFS tank are poor, it doesn't matter where the fish came from.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:09b600fa10="Thomas Tong"]i'm just abit more careful. my neighbour is con by our market fish store. the owner sell him seven neon tetra which he claim is from the wild. He sell wild and also the breed neon tetra in his shop.
    *the eyes are pop out.

But when he bought home, five die on the first day, and the other two die on the next day.
    Are the neon tetra really from the wild and we don't know how to take care and die off. Or they are just not wild?[/quote:09b600fa10]

your neighbour bought a bundle of sick fish. whether the LFS knows it or not, it is his responsibility to his customer and so your neighbour should go and have a word with the LFS. If the seller has any conscience he will go back and check with his supplier. No fish seller could have years with fishes and never seen dropsy so I am sceptical the LFS really think it is "wild" neon.

I have also "almost" first hand experience when one of my staff bought a fish tank and 6 goldfish costing $20 EACH, and the LFS has the cheek to tell him it is OK to dump the fish into the tank straightaway after filling it with tap water. five of the $20 goldfish died by the next morning!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:4495b72b35="Thomas Tong"]i'm just abit more careful. my neighbour is con by our market fish store. the owner sell him seven neon tetra which he claim is from the wild. He sell wild and also the breed neon tetra in his shop.
    *the eyes are pop out.

Are the neon tetra really from the wild and we don't know how to take care and die off. Or they are just not wild?[/quote:4495b72b35]

Looks like the LFS Owner is far from honest. The neon tetras are overpriced and it seems to me that they are suffering Dropsy. Dropsy is a deadly disease that will have your fish looking like a porcupine. Sorry to say, this LFS would never have my business. Too unethical already.
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Don't think you can find wild neon tetras here as they will probably be the same price as a cardinal. The mass market does not take too highly to paying 5 times the price for a wild caught fish.

Try green neons, if available, they are wild. Also there are wild caught emperor tetras, but since its quite difficult to differentiate, you can only trust the LFS owner.

Most pencil fishes are wild except for Nannostomus beckfordi, the golden pencil fish.

BTW, why do you want to keep wild-caught fishes?

When i start setting up my four feet planted tank, i have this dream of setting up just a wild tank. it should be wonderful when i look into the tank and knowing that my 'babies' used to be from the rivers from other countries like the Amazon or so.
    it's just a feeling, and i hope that i'm able to get it right without being con.
    i do believe sometimes it's not the LFS owner trying to cheat us, it's just that he is not having enough knowledge himself, and just try to close a sale and make some money. i don't blame them. they open the shop for $$$ right?
    anyone can recommand a trustworthy LFS and with knowledge.
    i have heard Ben from Tiong Bahru have lots of fishes, i'm thinking of buying from him. any members have any comments on this LFS? please give me advice. Leave me a PM if it is not written for public viewing.
    thanks alot guys!

Feedback Score
    Thomas u can try Gan's fish farm........think most of his fish are wild caught from SA, esp Apistos, plecos and cories. Also his cardinals are the cheapest in the market esp if u buy in bulk.

Thanks for all the PMs! got so many reply to me!
    All of the guys that PM to me recommand me the same two LFS! i'll sure give it a visit! thanks alot!
    is hatchetfish a wild caught one?
    BTW... is Gan difficult to go by public transport?
    thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:822b71cadc="Thomas Tong"]Thanks for all the PMs! got so many reply to me!
    All of the guys that PM to me recommand me the same two LFS! i'll sure give it a visit! thanks alot!
    thanks again! [/quote:822b71cadc]

There are no public transport directly to the farm. Even if you took a taxi there, you'll have problem going out.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:26a826f9bd="Thomas Tong"]Thanks for all the PMs! got so many reply to me!
    thanks again! [/quote:26a826f9bd]

Thomas, you can take a ride from CCK on tibs 175, alight after the Armour Camp and walk into Neo Tiew road, as for your way out, you can hitch a ride out with one of his customers