Roloff's barb

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Need some information regarding this barb Thanks
    People come here to shit and stink,
    Others come here to sit and think,
    I come here to scratch my balls and see the writings on the wall.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    scientific name please
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Re:

[quote:f4a7ac39ec="hwchoy"]scientific name please [/quote:f4a7ac39ec]

Barbus Roloffi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ha ha! invalid name these sua ku european calls everything a Barbus :P

anyway couldn't find a proper definition of what a Roloff's barb is on the Internet. You got any info? Otherwise forget it and go find some other barb to play with
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Re:

[quote:2093683079="hwchoy"]ha ha! invalid name these sua ku european calls everything a Barbus :P

anyway couldn't find a proper definition of what a Roloff's barb is on the Internet. You got any info? Otherwise forget it and go find some other barb to play with [/quote:2093683079]

Well got not much info of it on the internet, that is why I turn to the forum for help.

If anyone have a picture of it, kindly post it .

By the way, Choy any good website about barbs ???

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The problem is there is not even a clear definition of what is a Roloff's barb, so even if some one shows a picture there is no way to know if it is indeed the right fish. I found a reference that it may actually be the Oreichthys cosuatis which is not uncommon.

Re:

[quote:b1318ec5bf="hwchoy"]The problem is there is not even a clear definition of what is a Roloff's barb, so even if some one shows a picture there is no way to know if it is indeed the right fish. I found a reference that it may actually be the Oreichthys cosuatis which is not uncommon.[/quote:b1318ec5bf]

I will work on that and see the outcome

By the way Choy, came across a batch of barb at Ian's. Not sure what they are but they have a high dorsal fin with a slight yellowish clouring with a black marking. The body and the rest of the fins are transparent white. Any idea what is it ???

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The males have long drapy dorsal fin with the black rim and yellow colour?

is this the fish? (from FishBase)

If yes, this is an undescribed barb from India Oreichthys sp. note that the picture in FishBase is wrong, the real Oreichthys cosuatis doesn’t have such a long fin.

Re:

[quote:e2cb4e3396="hwchoy"]The males have long drapy dorsal fin with the black rim and yellow colour?

is this the fish? (from FishBase)

If yes, this is an undescribed barb from India Oreichthys sp. note that the picture in FishBase is wrong, the real Oreichthys cosuatis doesn’t have such a long fin.[/quote:e2cb4e3396]

I think it should be the one but the its different from those in the picture. IMO, its quite a nice looking barb.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:2926be7068="Roadrage"]I think it should be the one but the its different from those in the picture. IMO, its quite a nice looking barb.[/quote:2926be7068]

this is too cheem for me, so is it the fish or not? and if different then what’s the difference!?

btw the fish shown in the picture, Oreichthys sp., I find rather fragile and hard to keep, it does rush for food so you have to keep it away from other greedy fishes.

Well kinda similar but don't look like those in the picture . I think its better for you to take a look at the fish itself or I will try to take a picture of it. I saw the whole lot swimming peacefully in the 3 ft tank .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nah, don’t plan to drop by. why don’t you take a pic?

Re:

[quote:024581e8ec="hwchoy"]nah, don’t plan to drop by. why don’t you take a pic?[/quote:024581e8ec]

Yah I am thinking of taking a picture of it as the barb is place in the 3 ft tank just opp the counter, there will definitely be a lot of traffic there and thus it will be difficult for us to scrutinise the fish peacefully