Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Is it overkill to have 2 filter??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is it overkill to have 2 filter??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    just curious=Is it overkill to have 2 filter in a 5 footer?

current is ehiem 2028 running on it, and i have a spare 2229 and 2026 sitting doing nothing. so either one of them.

understand 2029 is apply more to marine tank, can still use in freshwater- except of the water output create a wave like and will cause the lost CO2.

the bio load will be low, will be keeping mainly algae crew(sae, yamato, molly) and rummy nose.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dun think you can have too much filtration, but the current might be too strong. However, if you position them properly, you can get pretty good circulation.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:cdfe7ccd55="vinz"]Dun think you can have too much filtration, but the current might be too strong. However, if you position them properly, you can get pretty good circulation.[/quote:cdfe7ccd55]

Vinz, really, it's not overkill?? maybe when the tank is 3 months old(now only 2 weeks old) 2026 or 2229?
    cos i notice only one side of the tanlk have some sort water circulation, the other side it's like no movement, mean time i put a eden internal filter to create water movement. thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Another qns on filter capacity. I looked up this, and have seens figures from 3 to 6 times tank size. How would one go about determining the optimium filter capacity? I have read some saying that too slow a circulation can result in algae (in a planted tank), too fast result in fish stress because of the current. 3 to 6 times seems like a pretty big range to me, anyone can help clarify?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For an external cannister filter, in a planted tank, 2 to 3 times water volume is the range.

Btw, that's not the recommendation for the filter capacity but the flow rate (after installing media).

If you intend to tap several pieces of equipment (e.g. CO2 reactor, chiller) inline, you might want to exceed 3 a little.

Go with the higher of the range... most filter will slow down thru time due to clogging, and deposits in the filter plumbing, impeller axel and housing, plus wear and tear. You can always adjust the flow by closing the filter output valve partially or spread the flow using rainbars or splitting the output.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Same heard and readed on some books about too slow a circulation create dead spot .... = aglae problem.

so Vinz, my tank about 450L of water so take it 3 times filter rate= about 1350L nad eheim 2028 rate
    Pump output 1050l/h
    Filter circulation 750l/h

And i use the circulation rate correct? So to say i can add another filter a 2026 Filter circulation 650l/h. so adding them together gets 1400L/h

close to 3times of my tank.

Vinz, please advise if it correct? thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm... your numbers seem right, but I've never really looked at the numbers before. Now I'm wondering how appropriate the recommendations are for large tanks.

Most ppl only use one 2028 (or equivalent) on a 5ft planted tank and that seems to suffice for filtration. The whole point of the recommended flowrate is not about water circulation in the tank but about how many times the complete (thereotically) water volume is biologically and chemically (N.A. in planted tanks) filtered per hour.

Frankly, in a planted tank, the plants are filtering the water too... by taking up ammonia. Plus typically the bio-load of a planted tank is comparatively lower.

If your not having problems with bio-filtration, then you don't really need to put in another filter. I figure it'll be harder to postion filter outlets then to postion small powerheads. Easier to re-position too. And I really really dread cleaning filters, so one less is better IMO.

An extra filter will give you redundancy (i.e. in case either Eheim breaks down for any reason... but they are very reliable) and perhaps better mechanical filtration with 2 inlets at different parts of the tank (less chance of debris settling before they get sucked into the fitler).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    3 times or so of tank volume turnover is good enough but how you distribute the output flow is important in a big tank like yours. Try to position the outflow of the filter connected to a rainbar at the bottom back of the tank pointing towards the front. You might need to use 2 filters as the length of the tank is rather long and the filter flow might not be sufficient to run the entire length. That is about the best flow pattern that I have seen or used. Good bio filtration is not that vital in a planted tank but act as a backup for things in the case the plants slow down due to small reason or so. Getting good circulation is vital in a big tank. Plants cannot swim to their food, you need to bring it to them which is where the flow comes in.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is it overkill to have 2 filter??

[quote:dc2da22e82="joestoys"]just curious=Is it overkill to have 2 filter in a 5 footer?

current is ehiem 2028 running on it, and i have a spare 2229 and 2026 sitting doing nothing. so either one of them.

understand 2029 is apply more to marine tank, can still use in freshwater- except of the water output create a wave like and will cause the lost CO2.

the bio load will be low, will be keeping mainly algae crew(sae, yamato, molly) and rummy nose.[/quote:dc2da22e82]

since you have so extra filter..
    why not connect them in series??
    one for mechanical filtration and the other for bacteria buildup??
    then you just have to wash the mechanical filter which is the first filter which suck the water in??so you will have lots of bacteria in your 2nd filter and your water will be crsytal clear...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is it overkill to have 2 filter??

since you have so extra filter..
    why not connect them in series??
    one for mechanical filtration and the other for bacteria buildup??
    then you just have to wash the mechanical filter which is the first filter which suck the water in??so you will have lots of bacteria in your 2nd filter and your water will be crsytal clear...
    series meaning incoming from tank to first filter and out going to 2nd filter and from 2nd filter out going to the tank?? this is new to me, never heard of it before.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:37387b8a="PeterGwee"]3 times or so of tank volume turnover is good enough but how you distribute the output flow is important in a big tank like yours. Try to position the outflow of the filter connected to a rainbar at the bottom back of the tank pointing towards the front. You might need to use 2 filters as the length of the tank is rather long and the filter flow might not be sufficient to run the entire length. That is about the best flow pattern that I have seen or used. Good bio filtration is not that vital in a planted tank but act as a backup for things in the case the plants slow down due to small reason or so. Getting good circulation is vital in a big tank. Plants cannot swim to their food, you need to bring it to them which is where the flow comes in.

Regards
    Peter Gwee [/quote:37387b8a]

peter, by pointing the rainbar to the front which also to the plant, can the plant take it, the whole plant swing left right centre??? it might look untidy??? but i like the way you put it bring the food to them as the can swin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the circulation is too fast, it's not good either. The plants can't grab the food if its flying by too fast. Sort of like trying to catch rice during a hurricane.

So what's good circulation? Complete and gentle. If your plants are swaying about violently, that's not good. Anything more then making your plant leaves "flutter gently" is probably too strong. Note though, some plants like slightly stronger water flow... like Bolbitis heudolotii.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Depends on the purpose and how strong is the flow created.

I uses 2 filters for my 3ft tank. An Atman 3335 (600l/hr) is filled with ceramic rings, nevered washed, and connected to a external CO2 reactor. I believe the flow is around 400l/ as of now, due to the reactor and long tubes used. The other is a eheim ecco 2231, filled with floss. Washed every 3-4mths. Both output are directed at the corner to reduce the gush.

With these, my water is usually clear. The water is filtered about 5 times /hr.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功