Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Fish Indentification

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I admit it, I'm a newbie when it comes to keeping a freshwater fish and plant aquarium. I've only had the tank for approximately eight months, so I have much to learn.

That being said, I'm not very familiar with fish species. I purchased this beautiful yellow and orange guy(or gal!) about a week ago and just love him! Problem is, I don't know exactly what he is, so I want to make sure I administer the appropriate care for his type.

He tends to forage around my tank far more than my other fish, and he has these catfish-like whiskers much like my dojo and cory, so I'm curious if he's a bottom feeder, or since he's foraging on the algae, maybe his main diet is algae? He shows little interest in surface feeding flakes or freeze dried bloodworms. Occasionally, he will nibble on a little flake that has begun to fall down, but often, he'll just spit it back out. Same goes with the thawed out frozen brine shrimp I sometimes feed. I don't want to starve the poor fella!

Here are a couple photos of the handsome bugger, so maybe someone on here can help me out with identifying his species so I can research into the proper care for him.

My apologies for the blurry photos... it's not easy to photograph a swimming fish with a camera phone!

Thanks in advance!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358697862.501816.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358697933.540820.jpg

~Dana~

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Fish Indentification

Hmm i think that is an albino form of SAE or false SAE

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Fish Indentification

Quote Originally Posted by jemswira View Post
    Hmm i think that is an albino form of SAE or false SAE
    All do respect, I don't really think that he is an albino Siamese algae eater. After looking through many SAE articles and photos, my fish doesn't really compare to that species very much. Plus, my fish has "whiskers" much like a bottom feeder dojo or cory, whereas the SAE does not. I'd think albinos would be a little rare, but he was from a community thank of several of his kind. The only information the store gave me was that he's a "community fish" but can be semi-aggressive and get to 6" in length. Embarrassing of me to not remember the actual name!! =/

Thank you for your suggestion nonetheless

~Dana~

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Fish Indentification

Hi,
    It is an Albino Red-Fin Shark - Epalzeorhynchos frenatum (Labeo frenatus).

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Fish Indentification

Quote Originally Posted by Toxotes View Post
    Hi,
    It is an Albino Red-Fin Shark - Epalzeorhynchos frenatum (Labeo frenatus).
    You are absolutely correct! Thank you for your response and help!

~Dana~

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fish Indentification

OOPs. Sorry there. Haha glad you got your answer. Sorry

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It is Rainbow Shark, google to believe : ) They will eat snails like their very very distant cousin such as Botia Striata. But they are not in Botia genus.

Btw, Rainbow shark grow big! up to 6 inches no problem.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Fish Indentification

Quote Originally Posted by jemswira View Post
    OOPs. Sorry there. Haha glad you got your answer. Sorry
    No worries at all! I appreciate your input nonetheless!

~Dana~

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Fish Indentification

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    It is Rainbow Shark, google to believe : ) They will eat snails like their very very distant cousin such as Botia Striata. But they are not in Botia genus.

Btw, Rainbow shark grow big! up to 6 inches no problem.
    Thank you so very much for your knowledgeable response! When you mentioned they eat snails, does that imply I should get some snail meals for my rainbow shark? ;p

Anyhow, since he doesn't appear to have a very healthy appetite with what I offer, is there something I can do? Algae wafers in his cave perhaps? He seems active and forages around the tank, so his health doesn't really concern me. Maybe just needs a little more time to settle in?

By the way, my fish are offered Omega Flake, TetraColor Flake, freeze dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen tubifex worms. Not all at once of course! I alternate

~Dana~

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Probably they are shy if they are alone, tank with less hiding places, small tank and are some examples. Feed every two days. Once a day. This will suffice

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I believe the so-called shark is some kind of loach. Loaches can vary in form from the Qian Hu logo type to the clown loach with its snake-like appearance. Loaches eat invertebrates - including snails & shrimps. I don't think they eat algae or are on vegetarian diet!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Clown loach are not snake-like. You are probably referring to the coolie loaches. These "sharks" are not regarded as loaches for most part, although their behaviour is very similar to loaches. For one, they do not have a flexible spine underneath their eyes. They are for most part, omnivorous in diet, and will take plant matter and algae tabs if it is to their liking.

@Dana aka Scorpio,

These "sharks" take time to adapt to new surroundings. It will appear more frequently over time. I used to keep a RTBS aka Red-Tailed Black Shark or the old Labeo bicolor in older aquarium literature. That species is related to the E. frenatum you have right now. That fella ate everything from live tubifex to flake food and will nibble on spirulina tabs. Nothing drives them more silly than live foods. You don't have to go out of your way to get snails though. Like what barmby says, don't overfeed it. They typically need feeding on alternate days or once per day with light feeding. As long as their tummies are fat you don't have to feed them more.

Giving it some form of current may make it happy though.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.