Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Setting up CO2 system for a 4 feet tank

Setting up CO2 system for a 4 feet tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I'm going to set-up a CO2 system for my 4 ft tank. What are the equipment I need to buy?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I assume you are thining of the pressurised system and not the eletrolysis system.

basically, you need a cylinder a regulator and a needle valve. That's it. Everything else is extra which helps you to control the system.
    Sometimes, the needlevalve is built-in in the regulator (e.g. Dupla's)
    Solenoid is a valve that helps you to turn on/off the CO2 with the lights.
    Bubble-counter let you see how much CO2 is going into the tank.
    pH controller maintains the pH of the tank by regulating the amount of CO2 that gets in.
    Check valve prevents back flow of tank water.

Thanks,

You mentioned solenoid help you turn on/off the CO2 with the lights. How does this work? how do I connect the lights to this valve?

Typically, how much will a system cost cost?

Regards

Feedback Score
    Hi Chyebeng

The solenoid is connected to the regulator, & it's essentially an electronic gadget. When it's turned on, it allows the flow of CO2 out, & when it's off, it stops CO2 flow. U get a solenoid so dat u don have to adjust/control the CO2 flow via the needle valve (which is painstaking) to get accurate flow (eg. 1bps or 2bps). Wif solenoid, u just turn power on....turn power off....no adjustments of needle valve.

Wat yeo is trying to say is u plug the solenoid's power cord & the lights' power cord to the same power point (ideally a timer wld be gd here), so dat when ur lights are on, the CO2 will also be on (photosyntesis?!).

A typical set (including bubble counter, high pressure tubes, needle valve, regulator, solenoid, check valve) cost me $270. Some other fellas here may be able to tell u a slightly better price, but it's around there....

Nizz

Thanks Nizz,

Where did you buy yours?

Called Aquatechnic, which sells Dupla(as mentioned by Yeo). They have 2 system basic system, the cost range from $300+ to 400+.

Regards

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Nizz, thanx for the blyxa, found a good home for it in my tank. The marble queen is in the pond, hope it'll do well

Now for the CO2, I bought my system from K&K in Tampines St 21, a 2.2l cylinder, complete with regulator, pressure meters, needle valve and solenoid (german made), all these for $240. I didn't use their bubble counter and diffusor as I got the ADA counter and pollen glass during the promo. The ADA counter comes with a one-way valve.

So far so good, I'm going 2.5bubble per second in an 80cm tank, everything is bubbling.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Delta and alpha set huh? i think $300 is for everything included but you will have to check what size cylinder they are quoting you for. I got the delta regulator only, because I find their cylinder too small... so I got a bigger cylinder I got from another place. The problem with Delta is that it doesn't have the pressure gauge to tell you how much CO2 is left. Alpha have gauge, but it cost slightly more. You can send them your empty cylinder for refill. they send it to soxal and you can be sure that the cylinder will be filled correctly and they will do the necessary testing to make sure it won't explode... Peace of mind having a Dulpa at home.
    The Taiwanese brands regulators will work the same and are more common and are cheaper, but safety is my priority.
    Aluminium cylinder is lighter but more expensive than steel cylinders. And it does not rust like steel cylinders. There is a difference also between new and re-conditioned tanks. I think Aquatechnic use aluminium cylinders.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Got mine few months back from petpart at $240.

1) 2.3l alum cylinder
    2) regulator and solenoid.
    3) send to my place :Þ
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Chye Beng
    I got mine at ProPet Aquarium in Tampines St 21 Blk 201D (Phone: 67873606). Ask for Mr. See. Take note that the regulator is some taiwan brand tho', & the pr may have changed since i bought mine mths ago.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    CO2 tank come in 2 material

Steel - heavy but cheaper
    Aluminium - lighter but more expensive

If you don't have your own transport, you may want to consider the aluminium version (if you don't mind the price). It would be very tiring to be carrying around during topping up co2.

If I'm not mistaken Nature is selling the co2 set at around $240 for a 5L steel set.

The price also woul
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Get from Nature. Cheapest so far with 5L steel tank + solenoid. Price 255

Cheers

Check out this site Cheap DIY CO2 .But don't know weather the address stated is still valid.

What does a CO2 flipper or reactor do?. Do I need both of them to set-up?

Feedback Score
    wah!!...i paid S$260 for the 5L tank & solenoid at Nature Aquarium last week.... Anyway, difference of S$5 only....

Did anyone try to get those regulator meant for the gas welding cyclinder??...and solenoid/needle valve from other company??..i meant more for the industrial usage rather than aquarium use.

Hi guys, thanks for your advises. Got mine from Soon Heng at Bukit Merah View. $270 for the following;

1.JBJ CO2 solenoid regulator (www.jbjlighting.com)
    2.Bubble counter
    3.CO2 diffuser, with a mini spiral built-in
    4.2 pieces of check valve
    5.Aluminum cyclinder
    6.Silcone tubing

Feedback Score
    Congrats Chyebeng

We look forward to seeing some pics of ur 4ft here soon...

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    was there at Soon heng the other day and saw a guy getting CO2 set hmm...wonder if it's u kekeke
    Cheers!

Benetay