Country
    Singapore

Plant choice for low-tech tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I'm preparing to set up a low-tech planted tank. I have done some fair reading and have a rough idea of which plants fit this criteria.

As i would be dosing excel as a carbon source in this tank, i was wondering which plants are recommended or to be avoided? I know excel melts some plants and there are some plants that can't absorb excel.

Hoping anyone here can help? Even if you don't know about the excel part, some plant recommendations are welcome too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Plant choice for low-tech tank

Low light no carbon dioxide injection plants I've kept successfully are mattogrossense myriophyllum, some bros (not me) sell them intermittently, German seaweed, mosses, hornworts and elodea

I know German seaweed may be affected adversely by excel, at least for mine some turned brownish. The rest I didn't really see any difference. I do dose ferts once a week though, otherwise the M. Myriophyllum will turn yellow when the soil expires.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Plant choice for low-tech tank

Try sagittaria subulata too

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

See below links for a shortlist of plants i tried in my low tech tank with no co2 injection

http://theplantedtankblog.blogspot.s...lants.html?m=1

As long you dilute Excel and do not overdose it is OK for most plants. Vallisneria plants seems to bit a bit sensitive with excel,my mosses are growing well with frequent dosage of excel

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the replies, i went to google search some of the plants you guys mentioned and i do like a few of them.

@wongce, your blog was actually quite good and i had read it up before i posted this. This post just to gain more info before i actually venture into scaping this tank.

Lighting wise i will be using T5HO (16W x 2) for this 1.5ft set up, 20cm depth. I think this is too much light?
    Carbon source will be excel, i'm still considering if i should dose flourish comprehensive, but i think this will depend on my plants..

Also i saw a thread back on low-tech red plants, can't find it anymore, anyone able to provide a link or shoot a few names of red plants that will do okay?