Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC) - Dry Start Method Journal!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC) - Dry Start Method Journal!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My HC started turning brown towards the second week of DSM. I did not bother to remove it and surprising I started to see new leafs growing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC) - Dry Start Method Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick76 View Post
    My HC started turning brown towards the second week of DSM. I did not bother to remove it and surprising I started to see new leafs growing.
    Yeah, usually at the 2-3 week mark, many will see the leaves browning, start to panic and flood it, then everything will turn brown further and start floating up to the surface.

I guess it seems to be a normal transition process during DSM... a portion of the HC will initially turn brown and wilt, then sprout fresh new runners and leaves, just have to keep up with the DSM regime and give the new HC time to recover and grow out.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It is quite scary. Those that look green and bushy suddenly turns brown overnight. My heart sunken when I see that happens. It seems like my effort for the last 2 weeks have been wasted.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am into my 4th week of growing HC using DSM method. I would say 90% of my plants cannot make it. I am just wondering if anything went wrong with my lights, substrates or it is just the quality of the plants.

I on my lights for 14 hours a day just like Urban Aquaria but I am using Green Element LED lights instead of Z series UP lights. I am thinking if Green Element are stronger than UP lights, then I should reduce the photo period instead.

As for substrates, I am using vermicompost mixed with cocopeat in the ratio of 1:4 and top it up with 1'' of lapis sand. Could it be that the HC cannot "reach" for the fertilizer?

I bought my HC from C328 and East Ocean.

Please refer to photo below.

Please advise if I should restart the whole process again.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am into my 4th week of growing HC using DSM method. I would say 90% of my plants cannot make it. I am just wondering if anything went wrong with my lights, substrates or it is just the quality of the plants.

I on my lights for 14 hours a day just like Urban Aquaria but I am using Green Element LED lights instead of Z series UP lights. I am thinking if Green Element are stronger than UP lights, then I should reduce the photo period instead.

As for substrates, I am using vermicompost mixed with cocopeat in the ratio of 1:4 and top it up with 1'' of lapis sand. Could it be that the HC cannot "reach" for the fertilizer?

I bought my HC from C328 and East Ocean.

Please refer to photo below.

Please advise if I should restart the whole process again.
    I think your lights shouldn't be the issue, they are higher wattage and stronger than what i use, and when grown emersed with ample Co2 and fertile soil, stronger lights and long lighting periods should accelerate growth even further (no need to compete with algae or other plants too). Those farming HC emersed in tubs under outdoor sunlight subject them to way more intense light.

The HC i use come from C328 too, so the plant supply should be similar.

Did you mist the soil daily to ensure that the soil is moist?

I see 2 main difference in your setup compared to mine (which may or may not have affected the result):

1) Using a combination vermipost, cocopeat and lapis sand substrate... not sure how the nutrients are released or the root take-up process by the plants in those type of garden soil substrates, i guess it is an experimental factor as most of the successful DSM projects i see documented so far use aquarium soil substrate designed for planted tanks (ie. ADA aqua soil).

With a multi-layered DIY substrate combo, it could be possible that the HC might have some difficulty reaching nutrients though the various layers (HC have very shallow roots initially and take a while to grow out), which might explain recovery or growth taking alot longer than expected.

I used ADA aqua soil which is just one layer of nutrient rich soil with evenly sized granules, so the HC roots get to access the nutrients immediately right from the top layer, without having to reach through layers further down.

2) The HC bunches are planted sparsely in bunches around the layout, which might not have enough plant mass to establish roots and recover in time. I find that its better to plant densely from the start with alot more HC (and in smaller bunches) to help increase initial plant mass (enough to cover the substrate and each bunch just 2-3cm apart), or else it could experience too much die out and then take a much longer time for the remaining few surviving plants to recover and start spreading.

So i'd probably place the points to look at as: Substrate composition and initial plant mass quantity.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 27th Apr 2013 at 13:15.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    With a multi-layered DIY substrate combo, it could be possible that the HC might have some difficulty reaching nutrients though the various layers (HC have very shallow roots initially and take a while to grow out), which might explain recovery or growth taking alot longer than expected.

2) The HC bunches are planted sparsely in bunches around the layout, which might not have enough plant mass to establish roots and recover in time. I find that its better to plant densely from the start with alot more HC (and in smaller bunches) to help increase initial plant mass (enough to cover the substrate and each bunch just 2-3cm apart), or else it could experience too much die out and then take a much longer time for the remaining few surviving plants to recover and start spreading.
    This should be the problem patrick faces.

top layer should have more cocopeat or compost. they can retain moisture better also.
    Plus the fact i have a similar setup outside. 1-2 week used acrylic sheet to cover 90% to aid moisture being evaporated.

btw i plant in small bunches. about a pinch using finger and using pincer just bury half inside.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Since I am already having the current setup, I am just wondering if I could add root monster into the lapis sand and restart the whole process. This will probably be nearer to the roots of HC and aid nutrients uptake. Do you think this is feasible?

I spray distilled water/water from other tank twice a day. Normally, I touch the lapis sand everyday and it is a bit moist. Is this correct?

oh..I would like to ask how do you guys prepare the HC prior to planting? Those that I bought from C328 are grown on a sponge and it is rather hard to remove without damaging the roots. With just a bit of roots sticking out from the plants, if I were to insert the HC deeper into the substrate, the leaves will be covered by the substrate as well.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Im camping here, good info

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Since I am already having the current setup, I am just wondering if I could add root monster into the lapis sand and restart the whole process. This will probably be nearer to the roots of HC and aid nutrients uptake. Do you think this is feasible?

I spray distilled water/water from other tank twice a day. Normally, I touch the lapis sand everyday and it is a bit moist. Is this correct?

oh..I would like to ask how do you guys prepare the HC prior to planting? Those that I bought from C328 are grown on a sponge and it is rather hard to remove without damaging the roots. With just a bit of roots sticking out from the plants, if I were to insert the HC deeper into the substrate, the leaves will be covered by the substrate as well.
    The lapis sand probably holds enough water but the nutrients are mainly in the soil below so the initial short HC roots probably can't reach them yet.

Yeah, i think using root tabs in the lapis sand could help position essential nutrients closer to the HC roots.

To prep the HC, i basically pick and wash away everything (wool or soil or sponge) and only have the bare HC with roots, then separate them into smaller bunches and plant them with the remaining roots in the soil and with the leaves just sitting above the substrate.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@Urban, you do a simple experiment. Take a cup of lapis sand & a cup of ada, lay them out on a table evenly beside one another. Time how long it takes to dry. there is some differences but it's not huge.
    i only discover this when i had 2 tanks in DSM outside in the hot sun.... and oh yah.... how's your tank doing....

the last time i bought HC. i tore the annoying sponge from below till abit thinner before prying out HC. but since then, i farm most of my plants and never bought same plants from LFS unless i didn't have them. HC's roots normally have their ends staying at the sponge if i directly tried to pry them directly.

you can try soda water or ice cold water soak to clear snails, light 1/10 solution of bleach also works fine for some.
    Last edited by felix_fx2; 28th Apr 2013 at 01:25. Reason: grammer

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    @Urban, you do a simple experiment. Take a cup of lapis sand & a cup of ada, lay them out on a table evenly beside one another. Time how long it takes to dry. there is some differences but it's not huge.
    i only discover this when i had 2 tanks in DSM outside in the hot sun.... and oh yah.... how's your tank doing....
    Yeah, lapis sand granules seem quite large (similar to larger granules of ADA soil) so there are gaps in-between each granule for capillary action from water in the lower substrate layers, hence still staying moist.

My HC carpet tank is still running, not much changes as its a low tech tank so it is mainly "maintenance" growth (new growth just enough to replace old growth), currently being overrun by shrimps though so have to start transferring them out to other tanks. Will post an update on it over the next few weeks.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Re: Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC) - Dry Start Method Journal!

Just to add to this thread, there is an informative plant article at the Tropica website about Hemianthus Callitrichoides and its habitat:

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plant-articles/hemianthus-callitrichoides.aspx

Here is an interesting excerpt...

".. Hemianthus callitrichoides (048B) was recovered by Tropica's founder Holger Windeløv during the dry season in a rocky river not far from Las Pozas about 90 km east of Havana in Cuba. Here, it was rooted in gravel between large rocks about 50 cm above the current water level of the river. The plant appeared as a dense pad shaped population very resistant to the heavy drag forces of the water which would have flooded and submerged the group of plants to about 1 meter depth during the rainy season...."

This article indicates that HC is already naturally adapted to transition regularly between both emersed and submerged (during the dry and raining seasons) in its native habitat.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Re: Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC) - Dry Start Method Journal!

Just to add to this thread, there is an informative plant article at the Tropica website about Hemianthus Callitrichoides and its habitat:

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plant-articles/hemianthus-callitrichoides.aspx

Here is an interesting excerpt...

".. Hemianthus callitrichoides (048B) was recovered by Tropica's founder Holger Windeløv during the dry season in a rocky river not far from Las Pozas about 90 km east of Havana in Cuba. Here, it was rooted in gravel between large rocks about 50 cm above the current water level of the river. The plant appeared as a dense pad shaped population very resistant to the heavy drag forces of the water which would have flooded and submerged the group of plants to about 1 meter depth during the rainy season...."

This article indicates that HC is both an emergent and submersed plant, so it is already designed to transition regularly between both emersed and submerged (during the dry and raining seasons) in its native habitat.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am thinking to try once again without the use of root monster since I am testing on the efficency of vermicompost. I will thin down the lapis sand such that when I plant my HC it will be nearer to the fertilizer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i have read that article too , another important point they mention is Hemianthus callitrichoides has its optimum temperature around 25 ºC but it thrives well from 20 to 28 ºC , yet many growers mention its able to withstand as long its under 30 C

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am thinking to try once again without the use of root monster since I am testing on the efficency of vermicompost. I will thin down the lapis sand such that when I plant my HC it will be nearer to the fertilizer.
    I have started my second attempt to grow HC. I planted it on the 2 May and now it is barely 1 week away. 80% of my HC seems to have melted away. I am starting to wonder if it is because my ambient temperature is too hot which result in the failure...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have started my second attempt to grow HC. I planted it on the 2 May and now it is barely 1 week away. 80% of my HC seems to have melted away. I am starting to wonder if it is because my ambient temperature is too hot which result in the failure...
    Hmmm... i think it shouldn't be affected that much by temperature, HC can be grown outdoors under the direct sun too, so it should be able to adapt to various temperatures.

I've checked diana walstad's DSM article again and it seems she used a mix of mineral soil, organic potting soil and fertilizer tabs, though she planted the HC directly into the soil mix (without any additional inert layer on top):

http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

Maybe as an add-on experiment, you could also try doing a small sample HC DSM with ADA aqua soil... just put 2-3cm layer of aqua soil in a small plastic tray with some HC and position a strong light over it (or place it under the sun), mist it regularly and see there is any difference.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Hmmm... i think it shouldn't be affected that much by temperature, HC can be grown outdoors under the direct sun too, so it should be able to adapt to various temperatures.

I've checked diana walstad's DSM article again and it seems she used a mix of mineral soil, organic potting soil and fertilizer tabs, though she planted the HC directly into the soil mix (without any additional inert layer on top):

http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

Maybe as an add-on experiment, you could also try doing a small sample HC DSM with ADA aqua soil... just put 2-3cm layer of aqua soil in a small plastic tray with some HC and position a strong light over it (or place it under the sun), mist it regularly and see there is any difference.
    Ya, I plan to do that if I fail again this time round.

I am looking for some aquasoil in powder form. Do you know where I can get some?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

you can check with fishy biz, NA. not sure about the rest but Y618 maybe have but better to call and check.

btw, patrick do you live near me.. got some on tao huay tab... already emersed grown. you want?

Semi-Active currently

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast