Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Which LFS still selling live daphnia aka boon??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which LFS still selling live daphnia aka boon??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Earthworms survive not on organic matter, but on the bacteria in the rotting matter. Since they only attack the bacteria, they will no hue any food that is not rotting. This is something only few composters are aware of, and they keep piling their wormeries with heaps of fresh food scrap and expecting all the the earthworms to come chomping on them immediately. As compost invariably consists of a lot of bacteria, earthworms will enjoy them. As earthworms gobble up bacteria in the ground soil, they at the same time ingest a lot of soil through their gut.
    OIC.. Interesting.. So in short they ingest the soil/organic waste and absorb the nutrients from the bacteria? Thanks for the enlightenment. =D

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, its just a matter of the amount of time and effort that you are willing to invest in culturing and harvesting these live foods.

Usually the simpler the process the longer you can sustain the interest in keeping them.

Btw, i did also try adding a small sponge filter (the XinYou brand one with directional spout) attached to the side of the 10 liter culture tank. The air flow was tuned low enough to just create a gentle ripple on the water surface. It helped to further reduce the oily film and smell build up over time, without affecting the worms population growth.
    OIC.. Absolutely agree. XD I'm kinda lazy so thinking of making a culture kinda 'setup and forgot' instead of frequent maintenance. I thinking of giving the ecoculturing a try if I am free as I recalled I accidentally have lots of the deros in my walstad tank. Probably it filled up the whole substrate. Also there's usually a few lumps in at the top corners of the tank.

Oh.. ^_^ Glad that filter can solve the smell problem and won't affect the growth. But that filter kinda tall and I got no space to setup another tank for deros. Do you think those small bottom sponge filter will do the job with low flow?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@BernC
    If you are using a low/short sponge filter, you can attach a piece of plastic piping to it so that the rising bubbles will not cause too much turbulence in the tank. The length can be such that it is almost touching the surface thus creating effective surface agitation for good oxygenation. Good oxygenation and good feeding = abundant derosworms.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bern C View Post
    Oh.. ^_^ Glad that filter can solve the smell problem and won't affect the growth. But that filter kinda tall and I got no space to setup another tank for deros. Do you think those small bottom sponge filter will do the job with low flow?
    The small sponge filter i use is this type:

Photo from Google Images.

Its around palm sized so can fit into most small tanks or containers. I just position and extend the spout so that its halfway above the water to generate the gentle surface ripples.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@BernC
    If you are using a low/short sponge filter, you can attach a piece of plastic piping to it so that the rising bubbles will not cause too much turbulence in the tank. The length can be such that it is almost touching the surface thus creating effective surface agitation for good oxygenation. Good oxygenation and good feeding = abundant derosworms.
    That is a good idea... It's like a small fountain and the bottom of the tank will not be affected by the strong flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The small sponge filter i use is this type:

Photo from Google Images.

Its around palm sized so can fit into most small tanks or containers. I just position and extend the spout so that its halfway above the water to generate the gentle surface ripples.
    Yeah.. I got one of them too. XD But currently got no space for another 2g tank. I can only start a small culture and wait till I have space to setup one with air filtration.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah.. I got one of them too. XD But currently got no space for another 2g tank. I can only start a small culture and wait till I have space to setup one with air filtration.
    Good thinking, bro Bern. All those who intend to continue keeping fish as a hobby should make the effort to have their own microfex culture, due to the unattrativeness of tubifex. Microfex is far superior to tubifex both in terms of ease of cultivation and safety of fish.

As moina boons need too much hassle and they too easily succumb to crashing, it is not worth all the trouble to culture them. Magna or russian reds are not suited to this climate, so should not waste time on it. Microfex worms alone will be enough to provide for our fishes' live food needs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good thinking, bro Bern. All those who intend to continue keeping fish as a hobby should make the effort to have their own microfex culture, due to the unattrativeness of tubifex. Microfex is far superior to tubifex both in terms of ease of cultivation and safety of fish.

As moina boons need too much hassle and they too easily succumb to crashing, it is not worth all the trouble to culture them. Magna or russian reds are not suited to this climate, so should not waste time on it. Microfex worms alone will be enough to provide for our fishes' live food needs.
    Yeah.. agree. But my main focus will still be on Moina & Daphnia. Deros will be a side culture. I still feel that Moina & Daphnia still worth culturing due to their prolificacy compare to dero.
    XD I might wanna take the challenge of culturing Russian Red & Magna in the future. I wanna see if they are able to adapt our climate through a slow period of adaptation. Or probably hatching them from resting eggs might be the key so I am focusing on experimenting hatching Pulex resting eggs. @_@ Hopefully I will get a fruitful result.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah.. agree. But my main focus will still be on Moina & Daphnia. Deros will be a side culture. I still feel that Moina & Daphnia still worth culturing due to their prolificacy compare to dero.
    XD I might wanna take the challenge of culturing Russian Red & Magna in the future. I wanna see if they are able to adapt our climate through a slow period of adaptation. Or probably hatching them from resting eggs might be the key so I am focusing on experimenting hatching Pulex resting eggs. @_@ Hopefully I will get a fruitful result.
    I salute you for your tenacity and positive approach. And I have no doubt about it that with your resourcefulness and continued experimentation, you will somehow find a way to successfully raise a a culture of pulex, or even magna and russian reds. You are presently already doing quite well with moinas.

I certainly would be the first to support your efforts. Like the saying, if there's the will there will be a way. But my previous comments are meant more to remind you about the difficulties to be encountered,

About magnas and russian reds, I think the main problem is the local warm temperature. But I strongly believe that that can be overcome with airconditioning or water cooling measures.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I salute you for your tenacity and positive approach. And I have no doubt about it that with your resourcefulness and continued experimentation, you will somehow find a way to successfully raise a a culture of pulex, or even magna and russian reds. You are presently already doing quite well with moinas.

I certainly would be the first to support your efforts. Like the saying, if there's the will there will be a way. But my previous comments are meant more to remind you about the difficulties to be encountered,

About magnas and russian reds, I think the main problem is the local warm temperature. But I strongly believe that that can be overcome with airconditioning or water cooling measures.
    ^_^ Many thanks for your advice. Yeah... It's not an easy path.. I am still exploring all the possibility. XD Currently I am focusing on my new moina sp. and it's much easier to culture compare to daphnia. I think what's interesting will be russian red, as I still not sure what sp. of Moina is it and its size. It might be a hybrid??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Daphnia connoiseurs delight in the succulent juicy russian reds. They are the ultimate fish delicacy. Hopefully someone can manage to find a way to make them available here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

^_^ I started to see some lights in my first experiment, although almost lose hope. I spotted 2 neonates out of 10 ephippia(1 pulex ephippia contains 2 eggs) today, which is the 9th day. The ephippia I used are actually those that failed to hatch in my previous attempts by following the seller/commercial guide. The result compared to the previous attempts is quite surprising. In my previous attempts, less than 10 neonates hatched out of hundreds of ephippia used, although most neonates were spotted on the 3rd day compared to 9 days in this experiment. In the past, there were a total of 6 attempts but only 3 attempts with neonates hatched while the other 3 with none hatched even after 3 weeks.

Well.. this is my 1st succeeded experiment so can't prove anything. I had my 2nd experiments started on 16/05/16, hopefully some neonates will hatch tomorrow. Will do more experiment to conclude the result.

XD Method used classified.

Last edited by Bern C; 19th May 2016 at 00:32.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@BernC

It's good to see you continuing with the experimentations.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@BernC

It's good to see you continuing with the experimentations.
    ^_^ Thanks. =( No neonate spotted today. Gotta wait and see. @_@

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

^_^ Thanks. =( No neonate spotted today. Gotta wait and see. @_@
    Persistence is the key to progress, a la Thomas Edison. Every step creates a layer of new and valuable experience.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone have the latest list? Preferably close to amk?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimplicity View Post
    Anyone have the latest list? Preferably close to amk?
    Seaview is the nearest I know to AMK. Only weekends, and the earlier the better. Sometimes sold out. And the longer they've been packed the more will have died in the bag.

Also, update of recent boon sightings:
    1. Serangoon North - Blue Paradise, $2 for small bag, intermittent supply (don't always see it)
    2. Pasir Ris - feeder fish shop inside Iwarna fish farm compound, $1 for huge bag, available almost daily
    3. Seaview - $1 for small bag, weekend mornings only
    Last edited by boofeng; 18th Sep 2016 at 19:30. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To add on:
    OTF at pasir ris farmway, Opposite irwana - $1 per bag.

Y618 - $0.50 per bag

Polyart at yishun - I have never bought there before but when I asked the uncle he say they sell at $1 or $2 per bag depends on amount.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

OTF at Pasir Ris Farmway confirmed still selling boon today. But only one pack left at about 5pm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

redhill market sells daphnia too!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A quick question, what do you tell the shop owner you want to buy daphnia? I mean in chinese?