Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My new LED Lamp Bar on a planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My T5HO lights were dying on me. They were old and not performing as brightly as it should. I decided to change the T5 tube. Upon making the change, I found that 1 of the 4 ballasts died, but decided to change them anyway thinking that the 3 left should last me for some time still. After 2 weesk, another ballast bites the dust. It then hit me. Should I change the complete fixture, (which i have so much problems with) or look for LED lamp (with a slightly higher initial but lower operation cost) . After looking around, I decided to purchase a LED lamp.

I carefully choose a specific power output, lumens and colour temperature that I believe would suit my needs for a planted tank.

The lamp I have is small and neat on top of my tank.

I did close monitoring of the performance of the LED lamp. Looking at the colour, plants growth and the water temperature. Result have been more than satisfactory.

Plants are bubbling and new shoots are growing. Temp is on a constantly at 29C and with the moss doing great to my surprise. I had never manage to grow them when using T5HO (where temp on water surface is warm)

I have a attached a couple of pictures for all to see.

Your comments are appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My new LED Lamp Bar on a planted tank

Care to share what brand is your led light?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cool! Can show the FTS with the LED fixtures?
    What moss is that?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I actually looked at Sirius and BeamWorks. After doing some investigations on the specs and reading the various forums, i felt that they were too broad, not bright enough (low lumens output) or wrong colour temp for me.

As such, I started to sourcing around other possibilities outsides Singapore and found a source in China that provide LED Lamp for aquariums. Together with a few of my friends, we made a MO to the supplier to get the LED bar for us. As of this moment, this cannot be found in Singapore yet.

If you and other AQ members are interested, i can arrange for an MO.

Sateman, as the length of the bar is 120cm, I rest it directly over my tank glass wall. No added fixture, just place my my hood on top of it. The whole bar is made of aluminium and is water proof (IP68 standard) and not worrying even it touched or dropped into the tank. I fill up water up to the very top. So I am happy with this possibility.

I have attached pictures on I placed the LED bar.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, sounds like an interesting LED.
    Are you doing any CO2 injection for the plants to pearl and bubble like this?

By the way, note that for MO, you would require admin approval before doing an interest check.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ise_mass_order

I didn't have a very joyful experience when buying LEDs from China vendors, so I'll urge you to be careful with an MO.
    I once ordered a big batch of T8 LED tubes for my ex-company and they came 1-2mm too long, and could not fit into the standard T8 light sets. We had to send the entire batch back at our own cost. They were also underpowered and dim.

Last year, I also order one tube from Aliexpress (beware!), and its was supposed to be a 15W, with 2 rows of diodes, I got an 11W with only 1 row of diodes. Vendor had the cheek to tell me its "the same" and that he never had the 15W in stock in the first place. I asked him why he advertise the 15W if he didn't have it at all, and lodged a complain to have him take down the false ad. Nothing happened, and the ad is still there today.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Is that BGA I see? I concur with Don. It pays to be cautious when dealing with sellers from China. What is the power consumption of this LED set?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Erm, don't have good experience with delivery of china goods... a colleague's item took 3 months to deliver.
    After that it was my turn to experience china post.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How many watt for each of the LED? I believe those by beamworks is not suitable for plants as each of the LED is only 0.06 watt. Very interested in this, how to contact you? Can't pm you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Hi, sounds like an interesting LED.
    Are you doing any CO2 injection for the plants to pearl and bubble like this?

By the way, note that for MO, you would require admin approval before doing an interest check.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ise_mass_order

I didn't have a very joyful experience when buying LEDs from China vendors, so I'll urge you to be careful with an MO.
    I once ordered a big batch of T8 LED tubes for my ex-company and they came 1-2mm too long, and could not fit into the standard T8 light sets. We had to send the entire batch back at our own cost. They were also underpowered and dim.

Last year, I also order one tube from Aliexpress (beware!), and its was supposed to be a 15W, with 2 rows of diodes, I got an 11W with only 1 row of diodes. Vendor had the cheek to tell me its "the same" and that he never had the 15W in stock in the first place. I asked him why he advertise the 15W if he didn't have it at all, and lodged a complain to have him take down the false ad. Nothing happened, and the ad is still there today.
    Bro, thanks for the advise. I understand the MO condition. If there are enough initial interest, I will surely comply to the MO rules in the AQ forums.

The source that I got from is from the manufacturer themselves. I actually determine the specs that I need and they produce to my requirements. Unlike those that you get from aliexpress where I believe they are bulk manufactured and may not know the specs detail.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Is that BGA I see? I concur with Don. It pays to be cautious when dealing with sellers from China. What is the power consumption of this LED set?
    They are not BGA. They are power LEDs leaded type that you see. Not the SMD 5050, 3528 or 3014 (Size of the LED SMD type). I have 44 LED per tube and output 44W at 117 Lumens/W which equates to 5148 lumens per tube and have slow light decay properties.

My source is realiable and have shipped what I wanted within a short time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=tryo;666338]How many watt for each of the LED? I believe those by beamworks is not suitable for plants as each of the LED is only 0.06 watt. Very interested in this, how to contact you? Can't pm you?

From my investigations of the Beamworks and Sirius (Aquazonic), they are using the SMD type of LED. They combine the LED with White and blue and make it a little more blueish, and less bright. I believe that is what most people felt when they purchase the LED lamp from these 2 brands. The one that I have is all White LED so it is much more brighter.

I still do not for PM access yet as I am new to AQ.

You can whatsapp me at 97433540. We can talk as well. I can share my experience using LED with you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My Red Tiger Lotus looks much better (Redder) with my LED lights than the T5 that I had before.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm interested. Care to share what is the estimated cost for each fixture of 120cm LEDs including shipment handling? Does it come complete with transformer and cabling for plug and play? I'm considering to switch to strong LED for my 4x2x2 planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Marlinsons View Post
    They are not BGA. They are power LEDs leaded type that you see. Not the SMD 5050, 3528 or 3014 (Size of the LED SMD type). I have 44 LED per tube and output 44W at 117 Lumens/W which equates to 5148 lumens per tube and have slow light decay properties.

My source is realiable and have shipped what I wanted within a short time.
    I think you misunderstood what I meant on the BGA. In this pic: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...0&d=1333788575 there are visible green patches on the gravel, which I thought was BGA.

44W seems pretty reasonable since some FL/PL lights are around that wattage but I wonder what would the cost savings be on electrical bills.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

LED light decay is much slower than CFL/PL. Typically CFL light decay is like 50% after 6 months and meaning a 5000lumens will become 2500lumens within 1/2 year. As such you are always recommeded to replace your tubes by then. If not you will notice that the plants will not do as well and plants that require more light will surface to the top more quickly (signs of leak of light intensity).

For LED, the light decay is much slower. They will decay is between 5%~10% only after 1 year. Meaning you do not need to change the LED as often and yet it will maintain the light intensity output for a so much longer time.
    Before the using LED, I needed 4x T5HO tube and output a total of 216W for my 4 foot tank. Now I only need 88W from the 2 bars. So I save in principle 128W. If I switch on for 10hrs / day. I will save 128x10x30 = 38400Wh or 38.4kwh savings per month. which will translate to 38.4 x 28.78cents = $11.05 savings per month. Total savings $132 per year. That is quite a lot of money to save.

Now I have more $$ for my aquarium hobby.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

is LED better than T5 lamp for plants?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm interested. Care to share what is the estimated cost for each fixture of 120cm LEDs including shipment handling? Does it come complete with transformer and cabling for plug and play? I'm considering to switch to strong LED for my 4x2x2 planted tank.
    Tony, the total cost of my 120cm light bar cost $150. Include shipping and handling charges to Singapore. Total lead time from order confirmation, manufacturing and shipping via DHL in total takes 2.5 weeks. Which I think is quite acceptable.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tony, the total cost of my 120cm light bar cost $150. Include shipping and handling charges to Singapore. Total lead time from order confirmation, manufacturing and shipping via DHL in total takes 2.5 weeks. Which I think is quite acceptable.
    And this bar is plug and play. Just need to plug to the mains and the bar will light up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by yoyouyi View Post
    is LED better than T5 lamp for plants?
    T5 produces a lot of wavelength and some of the are burned up as waste heat. LED can be very specific of the wavelength that you need and can focus on plant growth with have very little heat loss thus savings energy.

I have chosen the pure white midday light. To me it is good enought for my planted tank. If you want better plant growing tank, you can specify and mix the red and blue light spectrum to focus on plant growth together with the white LED. So the tank will have a be little greenish. (mixing of red and blue lights). This can be customizable if you decide to do that or to any requirement that you may want.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Marlinsons for the quick reply. I will keep a look out for your MO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast