Country
    Singapore

Re: 2 ft Paludarium journal

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    any picture of the swamp cooler ? thinking of diy one too ,weather this month really damn hot , how long can the cooling effect last for ?

Hi limz_777, picture of my diy swamp cooler... my design is not really efficient, a better design is probably the one in the link below.
    For my design, I just put water and throw some wet cloth in the box. The surface area for the water evaporation is not maximized.
    The cooling effect lasts as long as the media in the box is wet, usually I top up water once a week. The coolness is not very much, probably 1 degrees, but you can feel the cooler air when placing your hand at the air outlet I think the air from the swamp cooler is great for moss since it is cool and moist.

Note: You need a powerful fan and also good air sealing, if not the air output will be quite low. Also, The diameter of the inlet and outlet should ideally be quite similar, if not the fan has to work much harder. (Initially, my cooler only has 1 pipe, and the fan not strong enough to push the air, which result in very little output. The air output is higher after I added another outlet)

https://robotfun.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/swampcooler/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cool setup. Hope I can do one also. Thank you so much for sharing. Very informative.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Any updates on your tank? How about a fts?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
    Any updates on your tank? How about a fts?
    Hi Cardinal Tetra, yes it's been quite some time since the last update... didn't make any major changes, just let the tank grow by itself.

So here's a some photos which I just took today of my tank

Recently, the coco fibre mat have started to disintegrate, so I did some patching and also some trimming of the plants.

Currently, the most vigorous growing plant is the Hydrocotyle, which completely covers the centre portion of the foreground, and sending runners everywhere. The plants in the foreground are completely covered by the Hydrocotyle and disappears under the leaves.

The centre background still does not get as thickly covered in moss as I wished. Will prefer the moss to grow densely like it is on the left side wall.

Latest FTS - added some philodendrons and fittonia to test if it can grow well in the tank

The Hydrocotyle manages to grow up the driftwood and over it...

I like this leafy liverwort, but currently it only grows in a few small patches in the tank.

Not too much grow on the centre driftwood... the black patches on the wood are actually blue-green algae

The Crypt is still doing well, recently noticed that it sent out some inflorescence, which had already wilted away

Anubias nana still growing, though the big ones kind of died away, not sure why.

Lastly, a photo of froggie, which is still always hiding and extremely hard to take photos of.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can shift the light towards the back so that more light can be reached to the center background moss?
    I keep sulawesi shrimps, tetras, birds, exotic pets, herptiles and monster fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Appreciate the update, hope to learn more from your setup.
    Perhaps you can add red or pinkish plants to break the green colour, just a suggestion.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kennethc View Post
    Maybe you can shift the light towards the back so that more light can be reached to the center background moss?
    Yes, I will try that now

Appreciate the update, hope to learn more from your setup.
    Perhaps you can add red or pinkish plants to break the green colour, just a suggestion.
    Yes, no problem, will look for reddish plants, but I can only think of fittonia now. Maybe I will try growing some water plants emersed again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

nice work !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice! What are those mosses that you have on the wall? I'm building a riparium/paladurium, unsure what type of moss to use for the driftwood wall.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ke77eth View Post
    nice work !
    Thank you Ke77eth!

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Nice! What are those mosses that you have on the wall? I'm building a riparium/paladurium, unsure what type of moss to use for the driftwood wall.
    Thank you Ingen! I think those are Philonotis hastata. This moss spreads very fast and usually also grown as foreground cover under bonsai.
    I think you could try a few different mosses on your driftwood, to see which one grows best. Initially for my tank, I pasted aquatic mosses on the felt wall, but I think all of them disappeared.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for sharing. Any idea where I can get some? Would like to give it a try

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for sharing. Any idea where I can get some? Would like to give it a try
    I think got the moss wild from some nature trails, but i can't remember. I saw this moss in plant nurseries too growing on the ground.

You just have to observe carefully the mosses on the ground.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You mean its those common moss on the ground along the footpath?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You mean its those common moss on the ground along the footpath?
    Yes, it can sometimes be found on rocks along footpaths, but it's more commonly found in potted plants in nurseries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Normally on tree barks got de . Just pluck off the whole thing 😂

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Loving crypts <3

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Any updates? I really like your setup, it gives a lush and wild overgrown moss land that looks so natural. Where do you usually get your mosses from?
    Where do you stay? Would like to see your tank in person if possible.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, pardon me if the question being ask may i know what kind of moss grow at the diftwood do you tie them or simply attact them or are those moss as you mention is commonly found in potted plants in nurseries.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Any updates? I really like your setup, it gives a lush and wild overgrown moss land that looks so natural. Where do you usually get your mosses from?
    Where do you stay? Would like to see your tank in person if possible.
    Hi Cardinal Tetra, thank you very much for your compliments. I picked the mosses from nature parks .

I stay in the west, but not comfortable with visits to see the tank as the tank is in my bedroom.

Will try to post updates whenever I can though.

Latest tank shot...
    Added 2 stem plants from C328 in the left-back portion of the tank. I think I found a plant that likes the tank conditions finally, as the growth is very vigorous. Also tried adding a mini-orchid that I got from hortpark bazaar... I hanged the mounts in mid-air, so the mount does not stay wet, which almost killed my previous mini orchid. Also, I deepened the front portion of the water area by removing some substrate, so the water portion appears deeper. Also added some Selaginella erythropus from C328 too, to add some red plants as suggested by Cardinal Tetra. It's not that red, but it did break the monotony of the green colour a little

Left angle shot

Right angle shot... also trimmed off the over-grown Hydrocotyle in the centre portion to make room for the Selaginella.

Closer look

Closer look on the 2 plants in the left back portion

Close-up on the mini orchid - Schoenorchis fragrans. Very cute mini-orchid.

Managed to catch froggy on camera..
    Froggy shot 1

Froggy shot 2

I think I liked mini-orchids... will look for more to add in the tank.

Also thinking of setting up an aboreal vivarium soon, using an exo-terra tank (but it's too expensive and can't find the right size that I want, so I think I'll DIY from a 2 feet tank)
    Eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-oBqw4X_Ww
    Will keep it dry this time though... will start a new thread for this tank when I have time to set up a new tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tarzanboy View Post
    Hi, pardon me if the question being ask may i know what kind of moss grow at the diftwood do you tie them or simply attact them or are those moss as you mention is commonly found in potted plants in nurseries.
    Hi tarzanboy, for the left driftwood, it is now occupied by a type of liverwort that I found on the floor in a plant nursery... for the right driftwood, it is mostly occupied by flame moss bought from C328, and also some wild moss.

I did not tie the moss, I just pasted it on the driftwood. You can also provide a media for the moss to grow, pasting some wet sphagnum moss on the wood first (those dried sphagnum moss that people use for planting orchids).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank brother for your information i setting a vivarium soon by year end moving house soon, may i know that where you purchase your mini orchid i went to world farm yesterday but could not find any any advise.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast