Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: The Hastatus Century Club

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    If you watch till the end of the video, he just removes the bottle quickly from the tank. I guess he probably dumps the cloudy water into his sink.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I was wondering.. What kinds of lighting is everyone else employing over their C. Hastatus tanks? I really like those "downward pointing root system" looking tanks with what I presume are directed beams of either MH or LED lights shining into a dark tank (similar to the video shown below).

Does anybody have any experience in setting up a light system to replicate that effect?
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vannel View Post
    I was wondering.. What kinds of lighting is everyone else employing over their C. Hastatus tanks? I really like those "downward pointing root system" looking tanks with what I presume are directed beams of either MH or LED lights shining into a dark tank (similar to the video shown below).

Does anybody have any experience in setting up a light system to replicate that effect?
    If you want "shimmering" effect, spot lighting is required, i.e. LEDs & Metal halide lamps. If you want to try out the effect, can borrow a LED light set from me.

How significant you want the spot lighting effect to be, can be adjusted by the height of the light set above the water.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yep! Actually, I was wondering about the so-called spot lighting for LEDs. Correct me if I am wrong, but, I doubt the ones commonly sold in our LFS are considered "spot lighting" since they have a fair amount of length and the spread of the light is not exactly confined to a small area. Which brand and model of LED lights are you using in your tank, ralliart12?

Also, does anyone know of a programmable (photoperiod and dimmer) LED lightset..? I have plans on doing up a C. Hastatus showcase tank at home and would appreciate suggestions on lighting, tank dimensions, etc.. These cories are a dwarf species and nothing short of a sizeable shoal will be required for them to be "seen" as the highlight of the tank. I'd hate if visitors end up going.. "Eh! What you keeping in your tank ah? Like nothing inside one leh!"..
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You can use a rail with individual spot lights shining on a different part of the tank. Programmable LED lightsets.. I think you'll have more luck asking the lighting shops. Perhaps Inwares may have a solution for your needs.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: The Hastatus Century Club

Yep! Actually, I was wondering about the so-called spot lighting for LEDs. Correct me if I am wrong, but, I doubt the ones commonly sold in our LFS are considered "spot lighting" since they have a fair amount of length and the spread of the light is not exactly confined to a small area...
    If I interpret this idea correctly, spot lighting doesn't really confine examples to "1 point of light source"; I will tend to believe it can be "multiple points of light source", but each point must be a "point", e.g. a bulb, & not a "spread-ed" light source, i.e. a florescent tube. But you raised a good point, i.e. those LED light sets commonly seen in LFS have too many diodes cramped within a certain area & the effect behaves as if like a single "tube" of light. To elaborate this, I will say, each diode has a cone of light source, when cones are far apart, i.e. 1-2" apart, depending on the optics of applied per diode, e.g. 40-deg, 60-deg, 80-deg, totally no optics, they will have pronounced "spotlight" effect (N.B. "spotlight effect" is an observed effect; while "spot lighting" is a type of lighting). An example of spotlight effect is as below:

10211RippleWideTest.jpg

When the diodes are far apart enough, and/or their optics are narrow enough, and/or their height from the water are high enough, you will also get "spotlighting" effect. So the point you raised is valid, but I believe, as I mentioned in my prior post, you can try playing with the height of the light set above water to see if we can generate the different type of effect.

If you are really, really interested in this aspect of LED, check out this page:

ReefLEDLights (scroll down & search for "60deg Optics")

...Which brand and model of LED lights are you using in your tank, ralliart12?...
    I am using 2 sets of “UP Aqua Pro-LED-A-16”, whose artist rendering you can view here:

link

I feel it is overpriced because the fixture is way worse than it looks from the artist rendering.

I will say for your Hastatus tank, assuming you are growing no plants, or low-light plants, perhaps you can try the "Ecoxotic Aluminium LED Arm", as showncase at:

The Aquatic Gazette

...Also, does anyone know of a programmable (photoperiod and dimmer) LED lightset..?...
    Have, quite a few, but how much you are willing to spend? If you wish to emulate cloud cover passing along the length of the tank also can, i.e. Mazarra (the so-called Maxspect G3), there are quite a lot out there with photo-period & dimmer control. The one I ordered for my house tank can do:

1. begin the day, (e.g. wake-up phase) with 0% white led light, 2% blue led light, and 50% moonlight, for approximately a period of 1 hr.

2. You may then want your aquarium to start entering more of a dawn phase, whereas you introduce 30% white led light, increase the blue led light to 10%, and moonlight to 30%

3. You may continue on like this, with a variety of different lighting phases throughout the beginning part of the day, then you'll start entering into a more normal daytime phase, which may be along the lines of 100% white led light, 40% blue led light, and 0% moon light.

4. For your Dusk effect, Sun Down, you may want to repeat the exact opposite of the above, with the moonlight being the only leds left on throughout the night.

But most LED light sets with photo-period & dimmer, can probably do this.

...I have plans on doing up a C. Hastatus showcase tank at home and would appreciate suggestions on lighting, tank dimensions, etc....
    If you are going for Amazon biotope feel, I feel that getting the correct colour temperature is more important than intensity. In addition, previously on this forum, I saw another user using a pair of directional spot light (real spot lights) to shine into the sides of his tank diagonally to create shadows. It's also very nice. Or you can consider this type of LED as well:

orphek-PR25.jpg

...I'd hate if visitors end up going.. "Eh! What you keeping in your tank ah? Like nothing inside one leh!"..
    For me, if they do not bother to observe with more interest, the effect put into your tank, it's their loss

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    I will say for your Hastatus tank, assuming you are growing no plants, or low-light plants, perhaps you can try the "Ecoxotic Aluminium LED Arm", as showncase at:

The Aquatic Gazette
    I've read about this light unit some time ago when JadeIceGreen posted on the nano corydoras setup for 5 C. Sterbai. Problem with this unit is the arm, which only fits up to 6mm glass. That could eventually become a problem. Also, the arm only allows for a single angle and comes in a strip form, which means the unit will unfortunately not be ideal for what I have in mind.

Have, quite a few, but how much you are willing to spend? If you wish to emulate cloud cover passing along the length of the tank also can, i.e. Mazarra (the so-called Maxspect G3), there are quite a lot out there with photo-period & dimmer control.
    That's a little overkill as well for me. Anyway, same issue with the lighting unit being a more suited for a spread to cover the whole tank, rather than to achieve the lighting effect in the previous video I posted.

If you are going for Amazon biotope feel, I feel that getting the correct colour temperature is more important than intensity. In addition, previously on this forum, I saw another user using a pair of directional spot light (real spot lights) to shine into the sides of his tank diagonally to create shadows. It's also very nice. Or you can consider this type of LED as well:

orphek-PR25.jpg
    Now this, is what I am looking for. All that's really missing is an arm that is non-intrusive to the design of the aquarium. Since this bulb is made to be fitted into a standard E27 socket, I wonder if anyone has seen an aquarium light ballast that'll hold this bulb.. Alternatively, I've also googled and came up with this:

http://www.kessil.com/products/a150_...rium_light.php

.. which is a very well designed led spot light that seems to be what I'm looking for. Anyone seen this on sale in SG and know the price for it..?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This you can get them from Inwares or dealextreme. Problem is finding a suitable light holder for your tank.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tobi; 18th Feb 2012 at 21:19. Reason: misquote

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think Hikari first bites is a good option. Easy to feed too. For my apisto and betta fries, I mix first bites in water and feed it to them using a dropper. It's better for fries that like to hang out at the bottom.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

...In addition, previously on this forum, I saw another user using a pair of directional spot light (real spot lights) to shine into the sides of his tank diagonally to create shadows. It's also very nice...
    Found it!:

Link: My 2nd GEX tank

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

...Anyway, same issue with the lighting unit being a more suited for a spread to cover the whole tank, rather than to achieve the lighting effect in the previous video I posted...
    I do not really understand this sentence; care to re-phrase?

...All that's really missing is an arm that is non-intrusive to the design of the aquarium...
    Perhaps you will like to custom-make a stainless steel stand? Last I've heard, they are not that expensive.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The Maxspect G3 is mounted on top of a tank, much like the usual light sets being sold. It looks like its meant to light up the whole aquarium evenly, and the LED distribution is quite spread out, thereby minimising the amount of shadows cast on the bottom of the tank. That's quite different from what I am looking to achieve. Comparatively, the PAR38 LED bulb fits what I need alot more. 2 of these bulbs mounted and pointing downwards at an angle should suffice to replicate the Sun's rays.

If the articles written on many cory websites are anything to go by, then, a natural C. Hastatus biotope would have relatively still water and should boast plenty of natural plant cover. Given this, I have in my mind a picture much like how pictures are taken with light rays penetrating through the canopy of leaves, except, replicated underwater.

Anyway, I'm not a pro at DIY and the end product would probably be quite lacklustre. I think I would rather leave it to the experts. Haha.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It has been some time since anyone updated their C. Hastatus progress.. Has everyone already moved on to the other fancy cories being offered by JZX..?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dennis, mine are doing ok. Would have been much better had not for the heat wave that wiped out approximately half of my young scooters. Last ballpark figure was close to 400 fry but for now, managed to raise only about 200. All of them happy going to school and having fun, like all little kids do.

Dang... that dream of 800 hastatus in a 4-footer is gonna be a while more...
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Has everyone already moved on to the other fancy cories...
    Nope, not everybody. I'm still working on the C. eques, napoensis but the Super schwartzi did look tempting though.

I don't have much tank space (or tubs that holds water) but I'll definitely make room for any gracilis or cochui or xinguensis or ...
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That must have been some heatwave Ronnie. So far, mine has been doing great without any need for a fan/chiller to maintain the temperature. They seem to be able to take temperatures up to 30 or 31 without any mass casualties here in my room. I've only recently upgraded my tank to a 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 to properly house all the C. Hastatus and they are still laying eggs all over. I should think I'd be able to hold about 200-300 of them in my current tank easy.

With regards to the other 3 dwarf cories.. I'm darn sure you would find plenty of space for them if you could only get some viable pairs. I'm quite sure I would be able to setup a chilled tank for them if ever the chance arises..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What I want to see is Ronnie back in action with C. oiapoquensis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ecalyte! How come you are selling off your C. Hastatus..? Are they not doing well in your 1ft cube?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Ya... I really cant keep up with trying to keep the pH low with regular water changes..

Too many seiryu rocks.. Fighting a losing battle..

Anyone here wanna take up the sale?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ohh. Why the need to keep the PH low? Hmm. I would adopt them, but the price is still a little prohibitive.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast