4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Lightbulb Platinum Rummy Nose Tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just to share a possible "new" variant of rummy nose tetra that seems to be appearing at various LFS recently, i bought a few batches of them from different LFS over the past few weeks to gradually stock up my tanks.

Here is a photo of them (best i could get with smartphone camera, they swim too fast to photograph):

The photo doesn't really show the full extent of their colors, but as you can see, their bodies have a much more intense silverish/blue shine to the scales. At some of the LFS that i bought them from, there were "normal" rummy nose tetras for sale in nearby tanks and i could see the big difference in their body colors. The normal rummy nose tetras have their usual whitish/silver body color, but way less shiny than the platinum ones. The difference can be seen even from just a few meters away.

They were labeled as "Platinum rummy nose tetra" or "Rummy nose sp platinum", and cost between $2-$3 each (more expensive than normal rummy nose tetras which are usually around 80 cents to $1.20 each)

I've been searching the internet trying to find more information on this particular variant and it seems no one has posted anything about them yet. This is the first time i've seen these particular fishes appear at any LFS.

One of the reasons why i was never too keen on rummy nose tetras is because while they have bright red noses and excellent schooling ability, the rest of their body tends to look abit bland and dull... but these platinum variants look absolutely amazing.

For those who have come across this variant or seen them at a LFS, do you think they are specially line-bred to achieve their exceptionally shiny body color? Or are they a new wild caught naturally occurring species?

If any of you are keen to check them out for yourselves, Aquatic Avenue and OTF still have stock of them (Fishy Business used to stock them but all already sold out). Aquatic Avenue currently has a school of them swimming in their large aquascaped display tank so you can observe their colors in a planted tank environment.

Anyways, i do hope this variant is a regular import as they are quickly becoming my most favorite fishes... red nose + shiny platinum body + perfect schooling ability, best combination!
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 11th Feb 2015 at 17:37.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Platinum Rummy Nose Tetra

Hmm, now there are 4 types of rummy nose currently available. Update this thread if you managed to get some info. I am interested to know if this is a new species or man made.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, i'm still searching for more info on them... at this point in time, i'm leaning more towards the selective line-breeding theory, since there have also already been selectively bred "golden" versions appearing in the market for a while.

I'm guessing breeders probably selected the ones with the strongest and brightest body color and refined the strain over multiple generations, eventually getting the shiny platinum look.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

these platinum rummy nose indeed is much nicer than the common one.
    Anyone else spotted these beside AA and otf have it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Fishy business has them too

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seudzar View Post
    Fishy business has them too
    Arrived today? Was there yesterday but didnt saw it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you never seen it, means it sold off

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, that would be a great addition to a tank!

Do you guys have problem acclimatising rummy noses to your tank? Last I bought, lost 12 from the batch to the current 8.

Would wanna learn what's wrong if I were to add in the more expensive cousin.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess you just have to make sure the tank is fully cycled and all the parameters are stable, and the tank volume and filter has to be able to handle the bio-load too.

Whenever you get a new batch of fishes, do a slow drip acclimation on them (1-2 hours is sufficient) before introducing them into the tank. That usually works well to minimize transfer stress.

Buying fishes from a LFS with good retail tank conditions makes a huge difference too, if the fishes are pale, skinny or show signs of illness (or if you see dead fishes in the tank), then better not buy from there... it'll be much better to get them from another LFS which has fishes that are all well-fed, healthy and active.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

UA, did you by any chance get your recent (few days ago or last week) batch of platinum rummy nose tetras from East Ocean around 6 plus to 7pm?
    saw someone asking the shop keeper lady about that and net most of them in the tank, the person also mentioned he got a few others from other shop ...
    actually thinking of getting a few the next day but it was all gone...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    UA, did you by any chance get your recent (few days ago or last week) batch of platinum rummy nose tetras from East Ocean around 6 plus to 7pm?
    *camping for answer*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    saw someone asking the shop keeper lady about that and net most of them in the tank, the person also mentioned he got a few others from other shop ...
    actually thinking of getting a few the next day but it was all gone...
    I didn't get mine from East Ocean, i guess it was someone else.

Btw, seems there are people who will grab entire tank-fulls of them at one go when shipments come in, a few shops i went to said buyers will just come in and buy up all the fishes, thats like entire batches of 50+ in a tank.

Looks like there are many aquarists stocking huge schools of platinum rummy nose tetras in their tanks!
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

oh ok
    thought I finally see how you look like...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I didn't get mine from East Ocean, i guess it was someone else.
    *grumble grumble*

Guess I got to continue staking out at C328.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    *grumble grumble*

Guess I got to continue staking out at C328.
    Yeah, C328 is still the best place to spot me... especially on friday evenings at peak hour, i'll be the one elbowing your ribs and stepping on your foot every 5 seconds.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I guess you just have to make sure the tank is fully cycled and all the parameters are stable, and the tank volume and filter has to be able to handle the bio-load too.

Whenever you get a new batch of fishes, do a slow drip acclimation on them (1-2 hours is sufficient) before introducing them into the tank. That usually works well to minimize transfer stress.

Buying fishes from a LFS with good retail tank conditions makes a huge difference too, if the fishes are pale, skinny or show signs of illness (or if you see dead fishes in the tank), then better not buy from there... it'll be much better to get them from another LFS which has fishes that are all well-fed, healthy and active.
    Well I guess the only thing I didn't do is to drip - acclimatise them. Didn't expect them to be so sensitive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice version of rummy. Maybe i consider this for my RCS+betta+minnows combination instead

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, i saw KS Aquatic @ Yishun got this over the weekend when i bought my boraras brigittae.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    By the way, i saw KS Aquatic @ Yishun got this over the weekend when i bought my boraras brigittae.
    Curious where is KS Aquatic??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Really glad to see that the platinum rummy nose tetras are becoming a regular import from suppliers... was worried they were just one-off rare shipments.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast