Country
    Singapore

Beginner: planted nano tank with eventual shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all!

I actually ended up in this forum because I was researching betta fish keeping... realised I have no space to house them and then was really attracted to the greenery of a planted tank.

Bought a 30 x 18 x 24 cm (12.9l) gUSH tank.. its empty and full of whispered promises on a shelf in my room. A bit of excess silicon arnd the edges but it seems well joined otherwise (should I be concerned)?

Really really new to this and was told monte carlos are the most forgiving plant. I like their look as well and plan to have a carpet over a stepped hardscape a la East Ocean's 30cm tank vid: https://youtu.be/dmPT4KQ4OuA.

Maybe add a ceramic thingy thingy for livestock to hide in at some point. Very scared of using wood.

I notice they use ANS Planta Soil. Questions:
    -Is there a big diff between that and ADA or Borneowild?
    -Is ANS Planta soil fine for shrimps?
    -Should I expect any parasites down the line from any of the soils?
    Asking abt ANS cos Seaview sells the smaller packs and I live closer to them.

Next is I've been scouring the forums and the tech side of things is killing me. Seems to get more confusing the more I read!

Filters:
    Hang on or cannister??? For such a small set up I feel like a hang on back would be really obstrusive (wanna keep as clean a look as possible).
    The set I was recommended was a Totto w compartments (too huge for my liking and can't hide it).
    I saw this as well
    would something like this be sufficient.. or something like this with the filter replaced with biomedia? Or should I just go the cannister route?

CO2:
    My tank is so small I am wondering if this is necessary in the long run. Also don't want to gas livestock once I add them. Was thinking of the disposable cannisters hooked to a bell jar (gUSH is really pretty) for the initial cycling and growth of carpet... and subsequently to stop co2 when I intro the shrimps.

On that vein.. I read conflicting thoughts on liquid carbon products like Excel Flourish and their effect on the shrimp.

Thanks for reading through this, and any advice appreciated!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Beginner: planted nano tank with eventual shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by schwip View Post
    Hi all!

I actually ended up in this forum because I was researching betta fish keeping... realised I have no space to house them and then was really attracted to the greenery of a planted tank.

Bought a 30 x 18 x 24 cm (12.9l) gUSH tank.. its empty and full of whispered promises on a shelf in my room. A bit of excess silicon arnd the edges but it seems well joined otherwise (should I be concerned)?

Really really new to this and was told monte carlos are the most forgiving plant. I like their look as well and plan to have a carpet over a stepped hardscape a la East Ocean's 30cm tank vid: https://youtu.be/dmPT4KQ4OuA.

Maybe add a ceramic thingy thingy for livestock to hide in at some point. Very scared of using wood.

I notice they use ANS Planta Soil. Questions:
    -Is there a big diff between that and ADA or Borneowild?
    -Is ANS Planta soil fine for shrimps?
    -Should I expect any parasites down the line from any of the soils?
    Asking abt ANS cos Seaview sells the smaller packs and I live closer to them.
    hi schwip,

Welcome to the world of planted tanks! Here are some thoughts you may wish to consider as you start your journey:

1. Excess silicon around your tank is ok. Nothing to be concerned at the moment. If you are really worried, just filled it up with water and let it sit for about 15 to 20min. If it is not well-make, it will leak almost immediately. This will save you some pain before you start the actual planting.

2. As for monte carlos, while it is true that it is forgiving but only once it has adapted to the tank conditions. It will require a fair bit of maintenance (ie pruning) once it starts growing... the pruning and cleaning the bits of monte carlos that had been cut is the more irritating work for me. Anyway, I have not used it since I prefer spending less time on maintenance.

3. Using wood for live stock to hide in is very common. It is more a personal taste whether you prefer ceramic or wood.

4. I don't have experience with borneowild with shrimps. I have great success on using ADA soil with cherry shrimps. Sorry, can't help you for ANS planta soil with shrimps.

5. Parasites (worms) occurs if you overfeed. All soils contains bacteria and not all bacteria are bad. In fact, your tank will cycle faster with soil such as ADA/Borneo etc.

6. The downside of using tank in a small tank is that overtime small pocket of ammonia will build up if the layer of soil is too thick (like more than 2 inches) and you don't have plants (with roots) in the soil that can aerate the soil and minimize the problem. So when you disturb the soil to rescape, you will cause a sudden ammonia spike. You can reduce this problem by doing regular siphoning of the soil during water changes. Just remember to do regular filter changes after each siphon as your filter wool will clogged up.

7. As for the filter that you are displaying... depends on how many fishes you put in there... if it is just shrimps.. more than enough provided you do regular maintenance of the filter wool (maybe once a month). Personally, I prefer to 'over-filter' - ie getting a bigger size filter.

8. CO2. I have dosed CO2 (pressurised) and Excel Flourish in my tank with amano shrimps (giant-sized type that you get at C32. But my tank is a bit bigger than yours and the amano shrimps are hardier than cherry. The key is not to over-dose. Just dose slightly less than what is prescribed, your shrimp should be ok. The other way is to dilute the Excel flourish first with water before adding into your tank. In terms of value for money, getting those permanent 1-litre co2 tank is the way to go... BUT at this stage, I suggest you stick to just Excel Flourish or disposable CO2 until you are sure about your passion for keeping planted tank with shrimps. The good thing about using Flourish is that you don't need a timer on your lighting when you are gassing your co2. Unfortunately, I have not used disposable co2 before so not sure if you need a normal co2 regulator with solenoid to control it.

9. Another big factor is the water temperature. For shrimps and plants, an ideal water temperature would be around 24 to 25 degrees celsius. But 28 degree cel is doable for cherry shrimps... but probably not for CRS.

10. Lighting. No need to spend too much on lighting. Too much lighting (ie too bright) with long duration (ie more than 8 hours) will definite grow algae very well.

11. Do consider adding 1 oto. It helps alot by eating up the brown slime algae that is typical in new tank. But unfortunately, otos are delicate creatures that die easily if they are not acclimatize properly before adding into the tank.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Filters:
    Hang on or cannister??? For such a small set up I feel like a hang on back would be really obstrusive (wanna keep as clean a look as possible).
    The set I was recommended was a Totto w compartments (too huge for my liking and can't hide it).
    I saw this as well

would something like this be sufficient.. or something like this with the filter replaced with biomedia? Or should I just go the cannister route?
    A hang-on filter like the one in your photo should be sufficient for a small 30cm tank... but if you are concerned about aesthetics and want to maintain a clean minimalist look (and also have better filtration), you could consider a small canister filter.

Not sure if you have seen my previous threads, but i posted up one on my 13 liter nano tank setup a few years ago. The tank dimensions are exactly the same as yours. It uses an Eden 501 canister filter matched with a pair of gUSH 9/12 glass lily pipes (have to use 9/12 so that it stays in scale, 12/16 glass pipes will look too large for the small tank). The canister filter is hidden behind some file folders.

Here is the link for reference: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...itre-Nano-Tank!

A better look at what the canister filter looks like and how its connected beside the tank: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...403#post716403

Hopefully that can give you an idea on how a minimalist nano tank equipment setup could look like.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    A hang-on filter like the one in your photo should be sufficient for a small 30cm tank... but if you are concerned about aesthetics and want to maintain a clean minimalist look (and also have better filtration), you could consider a small canister filter.

Not sure if you have seen my previous threads, but i posted up one on my 13 liter nano tank setup a few years ago. The tank dimensions are exactly the same as yours. It uses an Eden 501 canister filter matched with a pair of gUSH 9/12 glass lily pipes (have to use 9/12 so that it stays in scale, 12/16 glass pipes will look too large for the small tank). The canister filter is hidden behind some file folders.

Here is the link for reference: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...itre-Nano-Tank!

A better look at what the canister filter looks like and how its connected beside the tank: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...403#post716403

Hopefully that can give you an idea on how a minimalist nano tank equipment setup could look like.
    Dude yes!!! It was your blog post on the same tank that inspired me. I didnt manage to locate the threat though, so thanks!! I will look through it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thread*

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SGDiscus View Post
    hi schwip,

Welcome to the world of planted tanks! Here are some thoughts you may wish to consider as you start your journey:

1. Excess silicon around your tank is ok. Nothing to be concerned at the moment. If you are really worried, just filled it up with water and let it sit for about 15 to 20min. If it is not well-make, it will leak almost immediately. This will save you some pain before you start the actual planting.

2. As for monte carlos, while it is true that it is forgiving but only once it has adapted to the tank conditions. It will require a fair bit of maintenance (ie pruning) once it starts growing... the pruning and cleaning the bits of monte carlos that had been cut is the more irritating work for me. Anyway, I have not used it since I prefer spending less time on maintenance.

3. Using wood for live stock to hide in is very common. It is more a personal taste whether you prefer ceramic or wood.

4. I don't have experience with borneowild with shrimps. I have great success on using ADA soil with cherry shrimps. Sorry, can't help you for ANS planta soil with shrimps.

5. Parasites (worms) occurs if you overfeed. All soils contains bacteria and not all bacteria are bad. In fact, your tank will cycle faster with soil such as ADA/Borneo etc.

6. The downside of using tank in a small tank is that overtime small pocket of ammonia will build up if the layer of soil is too thick (like more than 2 inches) and you don't have plants (with roots) in the soil that can aerate the soil and minimize the problem. So when you disturb the soil to rescape, you will cause a sudden ammonia spike. You can reduce this problem by doing regular siphoning of the soil during water changes. Just remember to do regular filter changes after each siphon as your filter wool will clogged up.

7. As for the filter that you are displaying... depends on how many fishes you put in there... if it is just shrimps.. more than enough provided you do regular maintenance of the filter wool (maybe once a month). Personally, I prefer to 'over-filter' - ie getting a bigger size filter.

8. CO2. I have dosed CO2 (pressurised) and Excel Flourish in my tank with amano shrimps (giant-sized type that you get at C32. But my tank is a bit bigger than yours and the amano shrimps are hardier than cherry. The key is not to over-dose. Just dose slightly less than what is prescribed, your shrimp should be ok. The other way is to dilute the Excel flourish first with water before adding into your tank. In terms of value for money, getting those permanent 1-litre co2 tank is the way to go... BUT at this stage, I suggest you stick to just Excel Flourish or disposable CO2 until you are sure about your passion for keeping planted tank with shrimps. The good thing about using Flourish is that you don't need a timer on your lighting when you are gassing your co2. Unfortunately, I have not used disposable co2 before so not sure if you need a normal co2 regulator with solenoid to control it.

9. Another big factor is the water temperature. For shrimps and plants, an ideal water temperature would be around 24 to 25 degrees celsius. But 28 degree cel is doable for cherry shrimps... but probably not for CRS.

10. Lighting. No need to spend too much on lighting. Too much lighting (ie too bright) with long duration (ie more than 8 hours) will definite grow algae very well.

11. Do consider adding 1 oto. It helps alot by eating up the brown slime algae that is typical in new tank. But unfortunately, otos are delicate creatures that die easily if they are not acclimatize properly before adding into the tank.

Good luck!
    Thank youu!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SGDiscus View Post
    hi schwip,

Good luck!
    Thank you!

Regarding the wood.. is there a way to limit the growth of the white fungus that tends to come with it? Or any recommendations for places which sell wood which might be less prone to disintergration? That's my main concern when it comes to using it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@UrbanAquaria
    Re your cannister, does it fit within a mag holder? And is there a special reason your tubing was crossed in the picture? XD. My shelf is a small Ivar shelf that is about 50x30. Also.. do cannisters have to be same level as the tank or does it not matter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you!

Regarding the wood.. is there a way to limit the growth of the white fungus that tends to come with it? Or any recommendations for places which sell wood which might be less prone to disintergration? That's my main concern when it comes to using it.

You can soak the wood in boiling water for about 30min. Alternatively, if the pieces are too big to boil over your stove (like mine), you can put them in a big container and pour boiling water to cover the whole piece. Do not put boiling water into your fish tank as you risk ruining the silicon seals!

This method will not guarantee that you kill all the fungi spores on the wood but it will help minimize. There is also the possibility of underwater fungi spores that comes from the water of aquarium that you buy your fishes/plants/shrimps from. I have only dealt with fungi on my drift wood once.... which was a long time ago. I remember scrubbing it and then leaving it alone. I think the shrimps/fishes did the rest.

In my current set-up, I recently had toadstool growing on one part of my drift wood that was emerged out of water after 3 months in my tank. It just sprouted overnight. I left it alone as it looked kinda cool and then wilted a few days later.

I think you can find drift woods in most of the established aquariums. One small tip - bring a small measuring tape so that you are sure that they can fit into your small tank. I would also look for drift wood that feels really dense and heavy... at least better chance that it will sink right away when you put it into your tank. Otherwise you will have to go through the trouble of putting a weight/rock on it to let it soak up the water.

If you buy driftwood from the aquariums, you will less likely find driftwood that will disintegrate.

Some people prefers rocks in their tanks in place of drift wood for another kind of look. You can google phrases like 'hardscape tanks' etc. I would also soak my rocks using boiling water as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@SGDiscus
    I see... actually a while back I tried and failed to keep cherries in a tiny betta box type set up.

Had placed cholla wood (I think) from secret shrimp society in there and it spawned the white fungus till I think it actually affected the shrimp. Water changes couldnt save the tank and yeh..RIP shrimps ): It also kept disintegrating. I didnt boil it as thought an initial soak would be sufficient. Bad call!

Will definitely remember this if I consider putting some wood in, and to boiling the rocks too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

White mold or fungus that grow on wood are usually due to the rotting organic nutrient rich material on the wood surface providing food for the fungus/mold to consume and grow. Its the same effect like if there is uneaten food in an aquarium and white fuzzy fungus/mold starts to grow on it. The fungus/mold is naturally present in all aquariums, so they may still appear even if you boil the wood (it still a good idea to boil the wood before usage to kill other pest/critters though).

Its normal to see that effect on newly soaked wood. Usually the fungus/mold will gradually disappear on its own, or shrimps will clear it up for you over time. So far i have not had any issues with shrimps dying due to fungus/mold on wood, on the contrary its actually a rich source of food for the shrimps.

Nowadays there are even "snowflake" shrimp food made of soybean shells that are designed promote the growth of mycelia fungus (the same type of fungus on wood) for shrimps to eat.

As for wood that doesn't disintegrate as quickly, go for those branchy hard wood varieties (ie. root-like bog wood, manzanita branches), rather than the blocky soft wood types (ie. those that tend to flake off bits when you handle them, like malayan driftwood or cholla wood). The branchy hard wood varieties stay in shape for very long time and don't flake of bits.

@UrbanAquaria
    Re your cannister, does it fit within a mag holder? And is there a special reason your tubing was crossed in the picture? XD. My shelf is a small Ivar shelf that is about 50x30. Also.. do cannisters have to be same level as the tank or does it not matter?
    Yeah, the Eden 501 canister filter can fit into a holder, in fact there is an optional accessory pack sold separately that includes plastic hooks to mount the filter on the tank glass. I've also seen people use stainless steel mesh baskets to hold it too. That being said, some people are scared the weight of the canister filter hooking on the aquarium glass may crack or damage the glass, so most people tend to position it on a solid surface next to or under the tank.

No particular reason for the crossing of hoses in the photo, its just how i like to position the canister filter in relation to the tank, the hoses cross because i prefer to view the outflow pipe at the front side of the tank. With hoses you can position it any way you want and they can be connected accordingly.

Canister filters can be placed beside or under the tank. But do note that if you place a canister filter beside a tank, you have to make sure that the tank's water level is still higher than that of the canister filter, this is to prevent potential back siphoning of water when the filter is off which could result in air gap in the impeller system.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Its normal to see that effect on newly soaked wood. Usually the fungus/mold will gradually disappear on its own, or shrimps will clear it up for you over time. So far i have not had any issues with shrimps dying due to fungus/mold on wood, on the contrary its actually a rich source of food for the shrimps.
    [...]

As for wood that doesn't disintegrate as quickly, go for those branchy hard wood varieties (ie. root-like bog wood, manzanita branches), rather than the blocky soft wood types (ie. those that tend to flake off bits when you handle them, like malayan driftwood or cholla wood). The branchy hard wood varieties stay in shape for very long time and don't flake of bits.
    Ah thanks, will look out for those kinds of wood. When it happened in my tank the shrimp were totally gorging on it but it really polluted the water and got on them... and frankly I think it smotheres
    D them to death . My mistake to start with such a small box in the first place. But this advice makes me more open to the possibility of wood.

Yeah, the Eden 501 canister filter can fit into a holder, in fact there is an optional accessory pack sold separately that includes plastic hooks to mount the filter on the tank glass. I've also seen people use stainless steel mesh baskets to hold it too...
    Ah ok! Btw was there a reason you got the ANS set for intake and outflow? Are the gUSH ones too big for a 9/12?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see... actually a while back I tried and failed to keep cherries in a tiny betta box type set up.

Had placed cholla wood (I think) from secret shrimp society in there and it spawned the white fungus till I think it actually affected the shrimp. Water changes couldnt save the tank and yeh..RIP shrimps ): It also kept disintegrating. I didnt boil it as thought an initial soak would be sufficient. Bad call!

Will definitely remember this if I consider putting some wood in, and to boiling the rocks too.
    The cherry shrimps dying were probably more due to the small water volume and the fluctuating parameters from water changes in the small tank, rather than the cholla wood.

Cholla wood is indeed a very soft wood which tends to rot away very quickly (can sometimes be over the span of months, instead of years). The rotting process is also further accelerated when you boil it. The plus side is the rotting material generates alot of food for micro-fauna that consume and grow on it, which in turn feed the shrimps. Hence shrimp keepers like to use them in their tanks as shelters and food source. The minus side is you will eventually see "skeletons" of cholla wood in the tank after a while and have to replace them more frequently.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ah ok! Btw was there a reason you got the ANS set for intake and outflow? Are the gUSH ones too big for a 9/12?
    Its mainly because i couldn't find the gUSH 9/12 version of the glass pipes at that time (i think it was out of stock or something), so i got the ANS 9/12 version instead.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi! Been lurking around. Not sure if my tank would be of any help. its running on a cheap dolphin hob filter, aquazonic clipon light for easy flipping up of light for maintenance, small fan and co2 with solenoid regulator.

Tank looks like crap cos i don't maintain much. But there are 8 ember tetras and a dozen cherry shrimps inside and 2 snails.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The cherry shrimps dying were probably more due to the small water volume and the fluctuating parameters from water changes in the small tank, rather than the cholla wood.
    Yuhh ): Hopefully with this 13l I will get it right. I'm going slow and researching slow. Keep visiting various aquariums just to get an idea of how the equipment looks.

Btw where to find Eden filters? Seaview doesnt seem to stock right now. They have Eheim aquacompact 40 but I realised the pump is part of the top portion of the system? Sibei dua looking.

Also is this the right plc to ask or shud I start another thread: noticed you used up-aqua Z series lights but that was a few yrs ago. At that point how many bulbs was that?

They have an ET series now with about 10 bulbs (5.5w) and I'm wondering if that would be better for me since I don't think I would plan co2 injection (but would use liquid carbon). Z series has like 15 bulbs or something now... price diff at Seaview is about $18 between them with Y series in the middle. Of course on a purely aesthetics basis Z series looks sleeker hahhahah. But I don't want to overheat my tank or end up promoting too much algae that the shrimps can't clear.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by CzTio View Post
    hi! Been lurking around. Not sure if my tank would be of any help. its running on a cheap dolphin hob filter, aquazonic clipon light for easy flipping up of light for maintenance, small fan and co2 with solenoid regulator.

Tank looks like crap cos i don't maintain much. But there are 8 ember tetras and a dozen cherry shrimps inside and 2 snails.
    How is the light working for you? Clip on means at the back of the tank and not across? Does your fan result in a lot of top up required? Your filter looks nicely camoflauged the flora but I don't plan on many tall plants myself... hrmmm...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How is the light working for you? Clip on means at the back of the tank and not across? Does your fan result in a lot of top up required? Your filter looks nicely camoflauged the flora but I don't plan on many tall plants myself... hrmmm...
    Just see the equipment ok? Ignore the plants as i said i did minimal maintainance on it.

Lights is clip on back, but still running length wise of tank. just need to flip the lights up when i want to do anything e.g. popup, water change etc...

Yes, with the fan, need to topup the water daily. Max is 2 days and the water level become very low.

i was using a shiruba xb303 canister before this hob. Flow was too strong out of the box. So i just changed to this cheap HOF for ease of maintainance and gentler flow.

Sorry for the dirty fan pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by CzTio View Post
    Just see the equipment ok? Ignore the plants as i said i did minimal maintainance on it.

Lights is clip on back, but still running length wise of tank. just need to flip the lights up when i want to do anything e.g. popup, water change etc...

Yes, with the fan, need to topup the water daily. Max is 2 days and the water level become very low.

i was using a shiruba xb303 canister before this hob. Flow was too strong out of the box. So i just changed to this cheap HOF for ease of maintainance and gentler flow.

Sorry for the dirty fan pic.
    Oooh thks for visual! Did you try using tap with the shiruba to control flow or was it still too heavy? I saw those at Seaview... was thinking of it as alternative to Eden if I really can't find. Was it noisy?

Btw with fan are you able to maintain consistent temp?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oooh thks for visual! Did you try using tap with the shiruba to control flow or was it still too heavy? I saw those at Seaview... was thinking of it as alternative to Eden if I really can't find. Was it noisy?

Btw with fan are you able to maintain consistent temp?
    With the shiruba canister, need to downsize the hose to be able to use the ANS nano inlet and outlet. Because i had too little space to play with, the short hose would be too stiff to be able to position the lily pipe and inlet. I've bought the tap and believe should be able to turn down the flow, but got lazy and bought the $8 dolphin filter and used it instead.

About the fan, temp will depend on the weather. e.g. now its 27c on my thermometer. On hot days, will still hit 29-30c. Wouldn't trust the fan if you want to keep expensive shrimps. Cherries are doing great in the tank and breeding.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast