Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: "Passionately Curious"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    For cleaning of outflow lily pipe I did not have to move the reactor.. I only unscrew the hose connector for lily pipe on the reactor.. the hose comes off easily.. I'm using the Grey transparent hose which is softer then eheim hose..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post
    Actually after my last experience.. I found the disconnecting from the check valve is not as simple too because of the hose barb.. presently when I need to disconnect/move the reactor.. I disconnect the bubble counter instead.. this worked better for me.. I move the bubble counter and reactor as 1

Oh I see. Ya hor. That would be very useful option for me. Thanks bro. I am so itchy hands to clean that pipe and hoses already.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Try to get and install a push-in connector along your Co2 hose line, it will make disconnecting it for maintenance much easier. Just push the blue ring collar to disconnect, and push in the tube to connect. Eliminates the chances of breaking the reactor's fragile Co2 input port. Can buy at pneumatic hardware shops and some LFS.

The connector looks like this:

Photo from Google Images.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Try to get and install a push-in connector along your Co2 hose line, it will make disconnecting it for maintenance much easier. Just push the blue ring collar to disconnect, and push in the tube to connect. Eliminates the chances of breaking the reactor's fragile Co2 input port. Can buy at pneumatic hardware shops and some LFS.

Thanks UA. I will check with the LFS to see if they have it. May I know where did you get yours?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Thanks UA. I will check with the LFS to see if they have it. May I know where did you get yours?
    I got mine from a company called Teck Siong Huat Hardware, here is their website:

http://tecksionghuat.com/?wpcproduct...sh-in-fittings
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I got mine from a company called Teck Siong Huat Hardware, here is their website:

Thanks a lot, UA! I will check it out!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi UA, what is the size that use for CO2 tubing? And also, can we use it for the filter hose with bigger size? That would be convenient to clean the lily pipe as well, I guess.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is this also a one way check valve?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

this is not a check valve .. it is only a quick release valve.
    one thing to remind all is that the more gadgets you have, the more risk for a leak
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaticlover View Post

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Hi UA, what is the size that use for CO2 tubing? And also, can we use it for the filter hose with bigger size? That would be convenient to clean the lily pipe as well, I guess.
    The push-in connectors i use are M6 size, suitable for 6mm OD Co2 tubing. Make sure to install the connector before the check-valve, so that water does not touch the connector.

These connectors are designed to be used only for gas applications though, so can't be used with aquarium hoses which are filled with water. The water will corrode the connector parts.

For aquarium hoses, you'll have to use other connectors designed for water applications, ie. barbed connectors, click connectors (similar to those gardening hose types) or double taps etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaticlover View Post
    Its only a connector, not check-valve.

But there is also another push-in version with one-way check-valve feature too (can see it in my posted link's parts list), though as mentioned earlier these connectors are meant to be used with gas only applications. If water gets into it, will damage the parts.

If you want to prevent aquarium water backflowing into a Co2 system (or air pump), then have to use aquarium spec check-valves.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 17th May 2016 at 12:37.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

The push-in connectors i use are M6 size, suitable for 6mm OD Co2 tubing. Make sure to install the connector before the check-valve, so that water does not touch the connector.

These connectors are designed to be used only for gas applications though, so can't be used with aquarium hoses which are filled with water. The water will corrode the connector parts.

For aquarium hoses, you'll have to use other connectors designed for water applications, ie. barbed connectors, click connectors (similar to those gardening hose types) or double taps etc.

Its only a connector, not check-valve.

But there is also another push-in version with one-way check-valve feature too (can see it in my posted link's parts list), though as mentioned earlier these connectors are meant to be used with gas only applications. If water gets into it, will damage the parts.

If you want to prevent aquarium water backflowing into a Co2 system (or air pump), then have to use aquarium spec check-valves.
    Hi UA. Thanks for your guidance. I tried to look for the CO2 quick fitting connector at some LFS but they do not have it. Might need to check the hardware company that you refer to at Ubi then.

BTW, I have found the Hose Mender can serve the as quick connector for the hose. I might try to use it near the lily pipes for quick disconnect for cleaning. Anyone has use it before?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Jacky the hose mended might not be a good choice for service purpose. It has no tap to shut water flow from filter or siphon effect from tank. When u remove the hose it will get messy

Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A simple single tap or ball valve joint would be a better choice. Personally I would chose a eheim single tap for this application since the double taps are a bit too chunky

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I agreed with you bro exo. Thank you.
    It will be quite messy when doing disconnection work then. What I was thinking of the steps might be:
    - Turn off the inlet valve from filter
    - Turn off the outlet valve from filter
    - Disconnect the lily pipes and using the suction cups to keeps the other part stay straight.
    - Prepare a bucket with towel to clean the mess. Haha!

That what I imagine to happen. Lol. Double tap still best.

This single tap from Ista might work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If I were to install the taps for service purpose the steps I would take is:
    1) shut down filter
    2) shut all taps (or individual taps which hose is affected)
    3) release hose or connector(for double taps)
    4) remove hose from glassware
    5) clean
    6) assemble in opposite sequence
    Yes the ista would work. But I'll go for eheim ones for a little more money for piece of mind.. like what fireblade warns and I agree.. more parts more chance of leaks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post
    If I were to install the taps for service purpose the steps I would take is:
    1) shut down filter
    2) shut all taps (or individual taps which hose is affected)
    3) release hose or connector(for double taps)
    4) remove hose from glassware
    5) clean
    6) assemble in opposite sequence
    Yes the ista would work. But I'll go for eheim ones for a little more money for piece of mind.. like what fireblade warns and I agree.. more parts more chance of leaks

Yup. Thinks we can create some method statement for each procedure for reference. Haha! That is interesting! Thanks exo!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, if you are already using canister filters with inbuilt taps (any of the pro series eheim models), then no need to install additional connectors and taps... just shut off the existing inbuilt taps and disconnect. Drain out the excess water from the hoses into a bucket. Take apart the pipe, hoses and taps and clean them with flexible pipe brush. Then reassemble and resume filter operation.

Btw, you can't really avoid not removing the lily pipes from the hose because no matter how well you clean it, if the hose is still attached, some of the mulm and dirt will still be trapped at the joined parts. Its always best to take apart everything to clean properly, then assemble them back again.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Yeah, if you are already using canister filters with inbuilt taps (any of the pro series eheim models), then no need to install additional connectors and taps... just shut off the existing inbuilt taps and disconnect. Drain out the excess water from the hoses into a bucket. Take apart the pipe, hoses and taps and clean them with flexible pipe brush. Then reassemble and resume filter operation.

Btw, you can't really avoid not removing the lily pipes from the hose because no matter how well you clean it, if the hose is still attached, some of the mulm and dirt will still be trapped at the joined parts. Its always best to take apart everything to clean properly, then assemble them back again.
    Thanks UA. I will do that with extra care.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I managed to clean the pipe and the hoses yesterday, finally. :P Kind of sweating for the first time doing it. However, it was easier than I thought.
    Just step by step disconnected everything and cleaned one by one with the long twisting brush.

Since I have not got the push-on connector on CO2 tube yet, I just took apart the whole CO2 bubble counter (as per bro exo's advice) so that the whole thing can be go for cleaning.

It took about 25 mins to clean and reinstate back the hoses and pipes. So I decided to clean the filter the other day. :P
    Cleaning the filter should be easier and faster. Should check some video on Youtube on "how to" today. I will put one bag of Seachem Purigen in this time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Seachem purigen.. exactly water I wanted too... but freaking ex I'm... so I decided to hold it off for awhile