Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sighting request: Where can I find Boraras brigittae?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sighting request: Where can I find Boraras brigittae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am looking for mosquito rasbora. Where can I get them? I cannot find them in most of the LFS. Are they those red one?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 22nd Jul 2008 at 13:16. Reason: Split posts

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I got my mosquito rasbora at Seaview at 100 per pack. I think they are also called exclamation point rasboras or similar due to the exclamation point marking on their bodies. Scientific name should be Boraras brigittae if I'm not wrong. No red on them though. Luminous orange above the black line on their bodies. Found a picture to explain what I mean...

http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/a...rigittae_x.jpg

If they are what you wanted and you need quite a few, can get from Seaview. Most LFS do not stock or have limited stock for these guys. Last time there they have another pack. Can call them before you go.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the info, but I am looking for the red one.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 22nd Jul 2008 at 13:16. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    1. Mosquito rasbora is a common name. Common names may be sometimes used interchangeably with other different fishes by the LFS. Be aware of that.

2. Mosquito rasbora is generally referring to Boraras brigittae. Exclamation point rasbora is generally referring to Boraras uropthalmoides.

Many aquarist are confused with them, thus be aware that pictures on the Internet may be identified incorrectly. http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/a...rigittae_x.jpg is most definitely B. uropthalmoides.

(For the correct pictures, you can search through AQ's photo gallery)

3. What you are looking for is probably B. brigittae. Look through the sighting reports in the Aquatalk forum. Some well known LFS stock them quite frequently, so you can check with these LFS.

Otherwise, wait for reports from fellow aquarists here.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This?

Biotope has them.

ck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    polyart and C328 sometime have them as well.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    1. Mosquito rasbora is a common name. Common names may be sometimes used interchangeably with other different fishes by the LFS. Be aware of that.

2. Mosquito rasbora is generally referring to Boraras brigittae. Exclamation point rasbora is generally referring to Boraras uropthalmoides.

Many aquarist are confused with them, thus be aware that pictures on the Internet may be identified incorrectly. http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/a...rigittae_x.jpg is most definitely B. uropthalmoides.

(For the correct pictures, you can search through AQ's photo gallery)

3. What you are looking for is probably B. brigittae. Look through the sighting reports in the Aquatalk forum. Some well known LFS stock them quite frequently, so you can check with these LFS.

Otherwise, wait for reports from fellow aquarists here.
    I finally found them at Wuhu. Got the remaining 16pcs from them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just saw some at c328 if you need more

Feedback Score
    I remember seeing them at Y618 as well.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The 16pcs I got look exactly like what ck yeo's picture. I will top up more if they are those red like flame one.

Bro illumnae, those that you chanced upon at C328, are they very red?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by diki View Post
    I got my mosquito rasbora at Seaview at 100 per pack. I think they are also called exclamation point rasboras or similar due to the exclamation point marking on their bodies. Scientific name should be Boraras brigittae if I'm not wrong. No red on them though. Luminous orange above the black line on their bodies. Found a picture to explain what I mean...

http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/a...rigittae_x.jpg

If they are what you wanted and you need quite a few, can get from Seaview. Most LFS do not stock or have limited stock for these guys. Last time there they have another pack. Can call them before you go.
    Sorry for the mispresented information. Have to agree with Quixotic, especially seeing the picture of Boraras brigittae triggers my memory. But even on Boraras brigittae, what is red??? Anyway, congrats to hann on your findings.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hann View Post
    The 16pcs I got look exactly like what ck yeo's picture. I will top up more if they are those red like flame one.

Bro illumnae, those that you chanced upon at C328, are they very red?
    If your water condition is not good the fish would not show their beautiful colour. Especially in LFS.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    If your water condition is not good the fish would not show their beautiful colour. Especially in LFS.
    Initially when brought home, they looked abit colourless. Today, the colour is exactly the same as the picture, but they kena ich. Sibeh sian, dunno wat to do now. Inside my tank got shrimps and cardinal tetras. Notice that the ich is only among the brigittae

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Initially when brought home, they looked abit colourless. Today, the colour is exactly the same as the picture, but they kena ich. Sibeh sian, dunno wat to do now. Inside my tank got shrimps and cardinal tetras. Notice that the ich is only among the brigittae
    Quarantine them and give medicine. Protozin is very effective with ich but may kill snails and shrimps.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Take note of your borara stock, cardinals can attack your boraras.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Am interested in getting them to house with my shrimps in m 1-feet tank. Anyone can tell me what's the price like for a piece of Boraras Brigittae & which LFS offers the best price? [Not buying in bulk as getting for 1-feet cube; minimum how man pieces advisable?]

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice403 View Post
    Am interested in getting them to house with my shrimps in m 1-feet tank. Anyone can tell me what's the price like for a piece of Boraras Brigittae & which LFS offers the best price? [Not buying in bulk as getting for 1-feet cube; minimum how man pieces advisable?]

Thanks!
    I bought it at a gold coin per piece. Really very nice fish I would say, quite worth it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Can try WuHu, slightly less than a gold coin if not wrong. 1ft can keep up to 10 or more but beware of the ammonia and bio load, depend on how many shrimps in your tank.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought it at a gold coin per piece. Really very nice fish I would say, quite worth it.
    Hi hann, thanks for the info, mind sharing where you bought yours? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by d2sign View Post
    Can try WuHu, slightly less than a gold coin if not wrong. 1ft can keep up to 10 or more but beware of the ammonia and bio load, depend on how many shrimps in your tank.
    Hi sign, do you have WuHu's address? [Are you referring to this?]

Wu Hu Shui Zu (TB Ben, Ben's)

Blk 71 Seng Poh Road
    #01-39
    Singapore 160071
    Any idea if they open on Sun & from what time?

May not be getting too many pieces as have quite a number of shrimps already in my 1-feet tank..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    [QUOTE=beetlejuice403;367729]Hi hann, thanks for the info, mind sharing where you bought yours? Thanks!

I got mine from Wuhu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast