Country
    Singapore

Re: Rock Distributor @ 40 Jalan Lekar

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by lantian69 View Post
    Throw liao. Dun wanna take the risk. I think larva rocks & dragon stones should be quite neutral. Anyone here tried before?
    From my own experience, all rocks will change the water parameters over time... the difference is how fast and how much it changes. The quantity/mass of rocks used vs the water volume, the buffering efficiency of the active substrate, along with frequency of water changes also affects the rate of parameter change too.

I have tanks with lava rocks which gradually increase in pH too, but the changes happen slowly over the course of a few months, so the livestock are okay. What matters is the parameter changes are gradual, as most fishes and shrimps can adapt to those changes over time.

Though if you keep super sensitive fishes or expensive shrimps which cannot tolerate even the slightest changes in water parameters, then you'll just have to avoid rocks altogether. Case in point, most high-end CRS shrimp breeder tanks are almost devoid of any rocks or hardscape which may affect the water chemistry, as they just can't take that risk with such expensive livestock.

The only rocks which don't affect parameters are those fake plastic/resin rocks, those are confirmed 100% inert.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA !!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jiajuen900 View Post
    You could bring some vinegar and pour it over the rock 😂 The acid in the vinegar would react with the Calcium Oxides. If it reacts you should see bubbles of gas.
    So if there are bubbles, mean not suitable for tank scape?

By by the way note they are closed on Sundays. Went last Sunday and didn't get to see anything!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I guess as UA mentioned, all rocks will affect the chemistry of the water to some extent as majority of them are not inert.

However, some rocks are more reactive and would cause the chemistry of the water to change faster than others. Such rocks would cause water chemistry to change rapidly so they would not be as safe for livestock.

So in that sense, yes, if there are bubbles that appear when we pour vinegar on rocks, that would mean that the rocks are far more reactive and are less safe for livestock and should not be used.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

not really true, almost any (beside radio active ) rocks can be use, just need to choose the right live stock, that is all.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would trust bro Shadow's advice on this rather than my own
    A lot more knowledge and experience.

Although I would still like to think that the less reactive rocks would give you more choices on fauna
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jiajuen900 View Post
    Although I would still like to think that the less reactive rocks would give you more choices on fauna
    That is true
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, I bought some rocks from NA (Thomson LFS) recently. When first placed in cycling tank, it was grayish white. Now after 1.5 weeks, it has changed to grayish yellow/light brown with slight whites.

Is it normal for rocks to change colour this fast? Or should I remove and do the vinegar test? It is only a planted tank cycling now so I am uncertain if I'm "poisoning" the water.

I assumed buying from a LFS would mean its safe to place in tank items. I did scrub the rocks prior to introducing to the aquarium.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Eh... algae? Diatoms? Rocks do change colour slightly... but of course no dramatic changes ...
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by reeshee View Post
    Hi, I bought some rocks from NA (Thomson LFS) recently. When first placed in cycling tank, it was grayish white. Now after 1.5 weeks, it has changed to grayish yellow/light brown with slight whites.

Is it normal for rocks to change colour this fast? Or should I remove and do the vinegar test? It is only a planted tank cycling now so I am uncertain if I'm "poisoning" the water.

I assumed buying from a LFS would mean its safe to place in tank items. I did scrub the rocks prior to introducing to the aquarium.
    Most likely its just algae or diatoms growing on the rocks, they usually create a sort of yellowish/brownish tint to the lighter colored parts of the rock.

You can try using a brush to scrub those areas, see if the algae can be cleaned off. Alternatively, once the tank is cycled you can introduce algae eaters like otocinclus or shrimps and they will help you clean it.

Only way to know if the rocks are affecting parameters in your particular tank setup is to test the water regularly and track it over time.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Phillipians View Post
    Eh... algae? Diatoms? Rocks do change colour slightly... but of course no dramatic changes ...
    Ohh diatoms.. possible. I'll go home and examine the rocks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Most likely its just algae or diatoms growing on the rocks, they usually create a sort of yellowish/brownish tint to the lighter colored parts of the rock.

You can try using a brush to scrub those areas, see if the algae can be cleaned off. Alternatively, once the tank is cycled you can introduce algae eaters like otocinclus or shrimps and they will help you clean it.

Only way to know if the rocks are affecting parameters in your particular tank setup is to test the water regularly and track it over time.
    That's sounds like a brilliant idea! Food for my future livestock hehe.. I'll check and see if I am able to clean off the "stains" if yes, ill leave them be till tank is cycled thanks guys for replying!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just a note. The place is not open on Sundays.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    Just a note. The place is not open on Sundays.
    Hope you called and didn't find out the hard way

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by reeshee View Post
    Hope you called and didn't find out the hard way
    Oh. I found out the hard way.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    Oh. I found out the hard way.
    You should read what I posted above....precisely I found out the hard way and wanted others not to experience same!! Was told they open 8-6 pm Monday-sat. Anyway hope you "Jalandhar Jalandhar" other shops close by.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Er meant "jalan jalan"...problem with ipad is they auto correct for you for words they can't recognise!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

20141016_1509361.jpg

Anyone know what kind of rocks is this? Is it lava rock?
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm... never come across. Maybe some Bros here can help? U there now?
    Last edited by lantian69; 16th Oct 2014 at 15:50.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lantian69 View Post
    Hmmm... never come across. Maybe some Bros here can help? U there now?
    I did not go there, just hijack this tread to ask whether are this lava rocks. I got a box of these from a landscaping company.
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's definitely not lava rocks but I m not sure what they are either. Did you pick it off from somewhere or was it bought as it seems like there is quite a bit of dirt/dust on it
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast