Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

help identify these algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Seems honeymoon's over and I got algae. well 2 sorts of it.

1st (it's not on the glass though it might look like it is):
    http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7613/img0039w.jpg

This one is on the substrate. looks very similar in color to the small spirulina pellets I tried to feed on the discus. Its dark green in color. I could be mistaken that it's the pellets though.
    ------------------------------
    2nd:
    http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6721/img0044nx.jpg
    http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6979/img0041sw.jpg

Possibly brown algae according to this site => http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

It is light/dark brown. seems to be spreading on the substrate and there are patches on the glass.

The link (theplantedtank.co.uk) I mentioned has suggested a treatment of sorts for the brown algae if my guess is right. Should I just follow it? Any ideas for the "dark green" algae?

Thank you very much

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: help identify these algae

it does looks like brown algae...put in some shrimps such as yamatos or malayan shrimp and they will clear it for you in no time...probably you will want to look at your water parameter and do regular WC from now onwards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by marcusth View Post
    it does looks like brown algae...put in some shrimps such as yamatos or malayan shrimp and they will clear it for you in no time...probably you will want to look at your water parameter and do regular WC from now onwards
    Would RCS or glass shrimp suffice? Those are not available in my country.

Also I change my water every week.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It might be BGA looking at the first picture

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    It might be BGA looking at the first picture
    That's my first thought too. If I do lights out for several days, should I be concern with the discus (got 2 adults + 3 young ones in the tank)? Thank you
    Last edited by papelboyl1; 21st Mar 2012 at 13:57.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

it is ok. fishes don't need light. also, black tape the exposed surface. you might kill it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

also, black tape the exposed surface. you might kill it
    Could you please explain? I did a forum search and several threads were mentioned. I read them but I'm still unsure how to black tape the expose area. Thank you very much

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1- Buy black tape from provision shop.
    2- Paste black tape on the fish tank surface that covers the substrate surface area.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

can you link me to a picture of the black tape? I'm somewhat unsure if the adhesive on the tape (I'm thinking it's like masking tape or electrical tape except its black) would stick on a wet surface.

thanks again

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

dude, paste on the exterior surface of the tank

like this:

Last edited by barmby; 21st Mar 2012 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

dude, paste on the exterior surface of the tank
    I assume I'll be puting the tape on the sides of the glass? or do you mean the top? if its the at the top, why not just put something like towel.

sorry for my questions. It's all new to me. thank you

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Paste on affected area

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

I get you now.

I have to say the BGA is not just on the sides but on the top of the substrate as well. I suppose tape cant help that? thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I don't see how covering the stuff from sight solves the problem (brown algae growth).

But I like the way you put a tray underneath the tank. I am also looking around for an aluminium tray which is big enough for my 2ft tank. Then I can customise a drain hole (something like those old window aircon water trays) to prevent flooding the floor in case the tank eventually leaks. I am into fish for the long haul, you see. Any suggestions from fans?
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    I don't see how covering the stuff from sight solves the problem (brown algae growth).

But I like the way you put a tray underneath the tank. I am also looking around for an aluminium tray which is big enough for my 2ft tank. Then I can customise a drain hole (something like those old window aircon water trays) to prevent flooding the floor in case the tank eventually leaks. I am into fish for the long haul, you see. Any suggestions from fans?
    Hi,

Colin mean paste to kill the light source as well as removing it from sight. If it was pasted in the beginning it won't occur as these places are not in reach of our commonly used algae crew.

If you intend to plan a area for keeping and don't mind spending. There are few bros who actually incorporate it during renovation. A slightly lowered area, some even with a drain! But that quite far fetches for most folks, but good to mention in case your getting a flat soon :P
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's a good idea to build a permanent concrete 'tray' on the floor to drain leaking water away. But since it is only a precautionery measure in case of aquarium leaks due to ageing or stressed silicone seal, it may be an overkill to do that. Furthermore, one may need to do home redecoration later on, even in the fish room, or relocate the fish area.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

oh yeah. thanks. plantbrain taught me this method. i have not used it as i am not particular over BGA growing there. Actually, it is one of the sign i look for...it is telling me my nitrate is insufficient : )

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    It's a good idea to build a permanent concrete 'tray' on the floor to drain leaking water away. But since it is only a precautionery measure in case of aquarium leaks due to ageing or stressed silicone seal, it may be an overkill to do that. Furthermore, one may need to do home redecoration later on, even in the fish room, or relocate the fish area.
    Bro, I think the tank quality that matters more too. Those people actually use that to aid their water change. And in the event of leaks the water don't affect the rest of the room. Though for small tanks this become really overkill since I've only seen these type setup for large tank.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For me, even if I have a 4 ft tank, I will still prefer an aluminium tray in preparation for eventual leaks. Since leaks due to seal failure are dripping slow and gradual rather than a gush, a shallow tray should be sufficient say, 1" to 2", since a higher tray will block the view of the bottom. Alternatively, the tray can be under the four legs of the aquarium stand, whereby it will accomplish the same function. But whichever case it is, it is important that the tray bottom be fitted with a drain hole and a small dia. hose leading to a drainage outside the room.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Just a question on blackout. Do I cover my tank in something like blanket or just no lights is enough? Thanks again.

Tank1: 48in x 18in x 28in | filter: 2x2000LPH canister | substrate: DIY substrate | fertilizer: EI+pressurized CO2 | light: 2x54W+2x150W
    Tank2: 24in x 12in x 12in (blackwater and non-planted)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast