Country
    Singapore

Is this Green dust Algae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

My tank is about 2 months old and I am having a lot of green dust algae growing on my substrate. How should I get rid of them?

My tank is a 2ft tank and my lights are 2 X 24 W which is on for 4 hours then break for 2 hours then 4 hours again. I am also using pressurized CO2 which is on an hour before the lights are on and off 1 hours before the lights turn off.

DSC_0187 copy.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is this Green dust Algae?

I think you are having Green Beard Algae instead of Green Dust Algae:

http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.co...ard-algae.html

Looks like the initial stages. If you leave it this way it will eventually carpet the bottom. Some people like it, some people don't. I have this too but it doesn't bother me. Read the link for ways to control it.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Stormhawk,

Thanks for the ID and the link you provided!

I am rather OK with it. Will be better if it spreads more evenly in my tank because it is in patches now. Nonetheless thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If grown "correctly" it's actually quite attractive. I don't find it a nuisance, in fact I like it a lot.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

With algae, I guess you need to be very careful. It will closely creep to your rocks, bw and plants before you know it. And if you want to get rid of it then, it will become such a major overhaul for the tanks, filter and plants.

Everything need to be scrubbed down, clean and get off.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Marlinsons View Post
    With algae, I guess you need to be very careful. It will closely creep to your rocks, bw and plants before you know it. And if you want to get rid of it then, it will become such a major overhaul for the tanks, filter and plants.

Everything need to be scrubbed down, clean and get off.
    Take it easy Marlinsons, some degree of algae is normal... The key is balance, use algae crew like shrimps, sae, molly,platy,snails.. they will help to keep algae in control.

Green Algae crawling onto rocks,DW and soil can help to create a very natural look. I support Stormhawk... haha i like the green lawn feel...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You know what, a little algae actually has a good side.

Why I say this, give the hobbyist a algae-guage. Now keep it to minimum and if it flourish something is darn wrong
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I guess each has their own preference. I rather keep it free of algae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A tank will never be fully free of algae. Even in nature, algae is part and parcel of an aquatic ecosystem. A hobbyist can go to great lengths to eradicate algae, but it will always be there. I find it easier to accept their presence. In fact, in certain cases, some species of fish prefer an algae filled tank, than a planted one.

Not too long ago, I had a massive BBA attack because I don't regularly change my water. But once I added in fast growing stem plants to my tank, the BBA receded. Along with hair algae and whatever else you can think of. But, I actually encouraged the GBA to take over some pieces of exposed coconut shells. It actually makes them look more attractive than just a piece of husk.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sometime you want to have algae, especially green spot, it will make rocks or woods look older
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    A tank will never be fully free of algae. Even in nature, algae is part and parcel of an aquatic ecosystem. A hobbyist can go to great lengths to eradicate algae, but it will always be there. I find it easier to accept their presence. In fact, in certain cases, some species of fish prefer an algae filled tank, than a planted one.

Not too long ago, I had a massive BBA attack because I don't regularly change my water. But once I added in fast growing stem plants to my tank, the BBA receded. Along with hair algae and whatever else you can think of. But, I actually encouraged the GBA to take over some pieces of exposed coconut shells. It actually makes them look more attractive than just a piece of husk.
    LIKE +1

Too bad we do not have a like system like FB... wahaha

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My stand is I must have plenty of green water Algae in my fish tanks. Humans hate the sight of water tinted green with Algae, but I think fish luv it!. And that's why I luv it too, lol. But of course I cannot stand hair Algae and other malignant Algae at all.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Its almost impossible to be algae free, haha, you will get them no matter you like it or not. Its like saying you don't want to get sick.. but you still get sick..Haha..

Small amount of algae is ok, you will grow sick of combating it after sometime... i concentrate on growing plant, lazy to kill algae, the algae will slowly dissapear... haha.. maybe its the power of the mollys and malayan shrimps....

Stormhawk, you have nice algae on rocks/DW to show us? hehe... come come lets poison marlinsons....

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    Its almost impossible to be algae free, haha, you will get them no matter you like it or not. Its like saying you don't want to get sick.. but you still get sick..Haha..

Small amount of algae is ok, you will grow sick of combating it after sometime... i concentrate on growing plant, lazy to kill algae, the algae will slowly dissapear... haha.. maybe its the power of the mollys and malayan shrimps....

Stormhawk, you have nice algae on rocks/DW to show us? hehe... come come lets poison marlinsons....

Ahhhhhh.... Help....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ahhhhhh.... Help....

You should get a good laugh of my "hateful algae" picture. It's minor case of bba.
    If you look at one of my tanks, the rocks all covered with GSA.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lol, ha ha, I think that is a rather biased view. A tank with algae is hardly sick. Rather, on the contrary, the presence of green water algae shows that the tank is in a healthy state. After all, the algae developed because the tank's eco-system is balancing itself out. In this sense, the absence of algae is an indication that the tank is in a temporary unbalanced state.
    Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mo more more more please.... I give up I will accept algae in mybeautiful tank... Waaaaaahhh...

Thanks guys, I am cured!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

GBA the only algae on a welcome list to my tank too

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

But you can control the intensity of the algae by altering the internal 'parameters' of the tank. For instance, more and longer duration of light will increase algae growth, less will decrease it, not forgetting that algae are plants too. But malignant algae needs to be physically removed like wild weeds in a garden. This is what maintenance is all about. But for those who desire clear tanks, more maintenance work is required.
    Mo more more more please.... I give up I will accept algae in mybeautiful tank... Waaaaaahhh...

Thanks guys, I am cured!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Lol, ha ha, I think that is a rather biased view. A tank with algae is hardly sick. Rather, on the contrary, the presence of green water algae shows that the tank is in a healthy state. After all, the algae developed because the tank's eco-system is balancing itself out. In this sense, the absence of algae is an indication that the tank is in a temporary unbalanced state.
    Agreed, but algae like GBA really looks nice, Green water is a bit hard to accept for me though, so it very much depend on individual taste......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    GBA the only algae on a welcome list to my tank too
    Like +1 haha, we should create a separate thread for GBA lovers...haha

Link to my Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast