Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap and good (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cheap and good (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Not all dwarf cichlids are expensive. Some how or another, a lot of folks seem to have the impression that Dwarf Cichlids are expensive, drawing from their pass experiences/contacts with rare apistogrammas.

Here's a species of dwarf cichlid that's great for beginners to start out with and are commonly available in the shops for just a few bucks.

Male specimen

Female specimen

However, do take note that there are some selectively bred long fins species and balloon species. Somehow, I prefer the fish as it is and not the fancy aquarium strains.

From what I can see, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi seem to be relatively easy to spawn too. Anyone care to share their experience?

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 15th Jan 2006 at 04:08.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i've started off with rams when i first got hooked on planted tanks, they are easy to keep, tolerant to a range of water conditions too......very nice behaviour, they do squabble among themself but they are not agressive at all, they make excelllent community fishes to keep!!

They do spawn very easily but raising the fries is not always the case due to certain reasons......i jus bought 1 male and 2 females from biotope on thursday and yesterday (sat) the pair spawned in the corner of my 2 feet planted tank.....so far they are taking turns to guard the eggs, chasing off any fish or shrimps trying to go near the eggs.....shall see wat happens next???
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are there any differences between the Holland ones and the German ones?
    Or is it just called as Holland and German due to their breeding places?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Cacatuoides
    i've started off with rams when i first got hooked on planted tanks, they are easy to keep, tolerant to a range of water conditions too......very nice behaviour, they do squabble among themself but they are not agressive at all, they make excelllent community fishes to keep!!

They do spawn very easily but raising the fries is not always the case due to certain reasons......i jus bought 1 male and 2 females from biotope on thursday and yesterday (sat) the pair spawned in the corner of my 2 feet planted tank.....so far they are taking turns to guard the eggs, chasing off any fish or shrimps trying to go near the eggs.....shall see wat happens next???
    Bro Cacatuoides, you have your rams and shrimps together?
    Dun your rams disturb your shrimps at all?
    Cos even since I had mine, my shrimp population drop drastically, and I caught the culprit red-handed!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hmm... Looks like mine are those selective bred as they have a noticable shorter body and longer fins. One of them has black bands on the pectoral fin, which puzzles me as it doesn't seem to be present on any Googled images I have seen. Pardon the pcture quality.

Attachment 1901
    Last edited by Quixotic; 25th Nov 2008 at 01:22.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mind if I ask a few questions?
    Things that I 've read about them say that they need water temps to be in the 22°C - 26°C range. Is this true?
    How fussy are they about the types of food being fed to them?
    Will they leave shrimps alone?
    I've not really been able to find this information online, unless I'm looking in the wrong places...
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm, just my cents ya....

my rams dun give a damn to the shrimps at all, only gave chase during breeding season when the shrimps go near the eggs......rams mouth are too small to feast on the little shrimps i guess, maybe your rams like to chase your shrimps out of the tank tts why your shrimp pop is getting lower?

rams can tolerate temp from 29 to 27 but they dun realli tolerate a sudden change of temp n environment, better to aclimatise them properly b4 releasing them into ya tank....

as for food, they feed on pellets, flakes, algae wafer, frozen stuff like daphnia, BW, BS, etc...

in conclusion, ever since i started off with rams, i have fallen deeply in love with them till now.....just finish setting up another tank just for these beautiful fellows.....will update pic once i come back from duty on tues nite?? meanwhile you guys enjoy!!

cheers,
    Eman
    Aquatic Dreams

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, Eman. That was very much appreciated.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One question.

I have 3 rams and all of them have that red belly. My Rams have spawned once and I assumed that the 2 rams guarding the eggs are the pair that spawned (they ate the eggs after a few days), so I removed them to another tank on their own. But even since, they have started fighting non-stop for 2 weeks now...

Is this normal behaviour?
    When spawning, does the male have a tube from its belly? Because I saw 2 of them with tubes stuck to their bellies when I discover the eggs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Benny... okay..change my opinion.. not QUITE nice.. but very nice.
    i no space liao leh.....haiz..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine was a bit different. My rams spawned, but only the female was guarding the eggs, chased away the male and any other fishes... but haha the next 2 days, the eggs were wiped out. Suspect my corys where the ones that wiped them out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very nice speciment and photos benny!!! Check out the pinkish belly of the femal ram ... dats one way to id a female one

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gee... I am so tempted now... Can I ask for help in selecting a male and about 3 females from fellow forumers? Dun think I can tell the difference in the shops... If anyone is going to C328, Ben's etc that has rams (normal body shaped ones), after work and wanna help, can PM me? Thanks!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    C328 only have the balloon and long-fin strain...
    Saw it last Friday...
    Not sure about Ben's...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... Might go down to Ben's tomorrow after work to look see the rams... Anyone wanna join and help?

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    hi justikanz, a sure fire way of telling the females is the centre spot,
    if it has spangles in the spot it's a female.
    when i used to breed them i could tell the sexes when they were just over a cm long, thats only if no one meets you at bens.
    mick

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh... From the picture, I actually don't see a lot of difference... Lets hope I get help tomorrow... Haha... Thanks, Mick!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Thomas.. i'lll come tomorrow if you want.. i need to check out somethings there to make sure i have all my tanks ready fo CNY>>

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... I am not sure of the time I can be there... Cos I am thinking of going to Biotope too... Confirm tomorrow lah... Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The ones at Ben's are balloon versions when i was there last week......IMO Biotope has one of the nicest rams around in the market and the price is reasonable too....

I have shifted my 2 pairs of rams to a tank of their own tonite.....lets see if there's any sparks flying soon.....will update again.....
    Aquatic Dreams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast