4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 2 ft Paludarium journal

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    nice, did i see a mushroom ? by the way how many type of moss you using on the wall ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    nice, did i see a mushroom ? by the way how many type of moss you using on the wall ?
    Yes, I think it came with the wild mosses I gathered...

I think about 4? mainly taiwan moss, with some christmas moss, java moss and also riccia and fissidens.

The taiwan moss seems to be browning, not sure why.

Some apple mosses are also starting to grow on the wall too.

I plant whatever moss I can find in the tank.. trying to see which one grows best in the tank condition.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Froggy update and random shots

Froggy posing for the camera... interesting creature. Wish we could keep dart frogs in Singapore but unfortunately it is banned.

Froggy stoning...

Also added some more nana petite to the walls

Random shots

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla83 View Post
    Yes, I think it came with the wild mosses I gathered...

I think about 4? mainly taiwan moss, with some christmas moss, java moss and also riccia and fissidens.

The taiwan moss seems to be browning, not sure why.

Some apple mosses are also starting to grow on the wall too.

I plant whatever moss I can find in the tank.. trying to see which one grows best in the tank condition.

browning could be heat issue or initial dryness , quite surpise the riccia can stick to the wall

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A really interesting way to set it up!
    I can't wait to see more updates from you...

Great job!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

May I ask if it's possible to show how you connect your pump to the drip bars? For your 2 feet, how much liters per hour are you working at to ensure it is dripping (instead of shooting out)? And also, what's the minimum lift power to your tank height?

I'm really interested to start a semi-dry, but clueless on how to set the pump up?

Feedback Score
    -1 (33%)
    Country
    Singapore

May I asked what kind of felt you buy? Is it a hard felt that can stand up right without support? Also any other creative way to make the background wall uneven like bark?

Intend yo yo make one and following your thread closely

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mark.s View Post
    A really interesting way to set it up!
    I can't wait to see more updates from you...

Great job!
    Thank you for your encouragement mark.s! Waiting for my plants to grow bigger now, and also experimenting with keeping frogs... Will definitely post more photos in future One of my frogs actually managed to sneak out of the tank (I didn't seal the top properly). I discovered that it died and dried up outside my tank Now I am only left with one small frog

Quote Originally Posted by atolylica View Post
    May I ask if it's possible to show how you connect your pump to the drip bars? For your 2 feet, how much liters per hour are you working at to ensure it is dripping (instead of shooting out)? And also, what's the minimum lift power to your tank height?

I'm really interested to start a semi-dry, but clueless on how to set the pump up?

I drew a quick diagram of how I connect the pipes in the tank.. the blue parts are connectors...
    As you can see, I used many elbow connectors which are not necessary if I can find a 3-way connector. But somehow, I am unable to find a 3 way connector with the correct size so I make do with many elbow connectors instead... lol

The pump I used should be 650 l/hr if I didn't remember wrongly... I didn't do much calculations, it is just trial & error for me. But I did checked that the lift height specified is more than the tank height when looking for the pump. In my case, the water actually shoots out quite strongly, but no issue as the water is aimed to the felt which absorbs the water, which means there is no splashing. Also, the water flow had also been reduced at the moment, due to some algae growth in the pipe. There is still good flow, just not as strong.

I think depends on your set-up, if you just require one drip wall, it is pretty straightforward. But if 3 walls, you just need more piping

Look forward to seeing your tank too

Quote Originally Posted by polyho View Post
    May I asked what kind of felt you buy? Is it a hard felt that can stand up right without support? Also any other creative way to make the background wall uneven like bark?

Intend yo yo make one and following your thread closely
    Yes, I bought the hard felt, quite stiff and rigid type. I sewed two layers of felt together, and there are slits cut in one layer of felt to allow the insertion of plants... Got the idea from those green walls pouches in the example photo below... just that I did it at a much smaller scale...

I think if you use felt, you could try making different sized pouches and fill it with peat.. but if you want it to look natural, you could just use cork bark for the background or mold your own styrofoam with peat moss silicon-ed on, it looks much more natural even without plants on it. Look forward to seeing your tank too

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

very nice setup and pictures

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by leezard78 View Post
    very nice setup and pictures
    Thank you leezard78

Some updates... the leaves of all the Buceps I added seems to wilt and dry off, not sure why..

Added 4 more plants, Bacopa, Glossostigma, and 2 wild plants from the reservoir

Bacopa caroliniana

Glossostigma elatinoides

Unknown plant 1 - could anyone help to ID?

Unknown plant 2 (bottom right of pic) - could anyone help to ID?

The Pleurothallis I added last time finally start growing 2 new leaves

Moss updates
    This wild moss is spreading very fast in the tank

This wild liverwort? is also doing well

Frog updates
    This 2nd frog with green stripe has grow quite a bit, but it is so timid and shy, always hiding. Had a hard time taking photos of it.
    Missed the other frog that died that likes to pose for the camera.

Random shots of the tank

Happy Chinese New Year to all in advance !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm just inspired to setup one of my own, just awesome sight. i like the transition from the groundworks all the way up to the growing stage. I have some questions about the "watering" part.

The rain bar is not exactly pouring out water like the "Over head filter" kind of flow right ?

Mind if you could take a video water pump in action ?

Truly awsome setup man.Good job!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

its' beautiful. recent FTS?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Amazing how your wild moss can grow! Mine just stay at its size and never grow onwards perhaps you can teach me how? :-)
    I keep sulawesi shrimps, tetras, birds, exotic pets, herptiles and monster fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by CP View Post
    Very nice!
    Thank you CP

Quote Originally Posted by Ipit View Post
    I'm just inspired to setup one of my own, just awesome sight. i like the transition from the groundworks all the way up to the growing stage. I have some questions about the "watering" part.

The rain bar is not exactly pouring out water like the "Over head filter" kind of flow right ?

Mind if you could take a video water pump in action ?

Truly awsome setup man.Good job!
    Yes Ipit, the rain bar shoots water towards the back into the felt, so there is minimal splashing of water, just dripping...

In the beginning when setting up the tank, I had wanted to do a small waterfall.. but somehow ended up with this version.

Took a short video for you to see the water flow click on the image. (No sound because you can hear people talking)

Look forward to seeing your tank!

Quote Originally Posted by leezard78 View Post
    its' beautiful. recent FTS?
    Thank you leezard78.. Yes recent photos within a week of posting I think.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethc View Post
    Amazing how your wild moss can grow! Mine just stay at its size and never grow onwards perhaps you can teach me how? :-)
    I think just happened that this certain moss likes the tank conditions in my tank, there are some moss that seems to disappear, like the taiwan moss that I pasted on the walls initially. I am just like trial and error which moss/plant can survive better in my tank.

But I think the important thing is constant moisture, and also the temperature and air circulation.. I did made a small diy swamp cooler and directed the outlet into the tank.. it helped to lower the temperature by 0.5-1 degrees compared to room temperature, at the same time circulating the air, as well as supply humid air.

I saw your tank, nice layout. I think instead of the rainbar, you could use a water mister? To make more damp surfaces to provide more surfaces for the moss to grow. Think like cloud forest kind of environment. But also need lower temperatures and air circulation, if not you would encourage mold to grow.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Awesome progress bro! May I know where you got your "wild mosses" from? The light green ones growing on the diagonal driftwoods look amazing. I can't seem to find this moss anywhere. Do you know it's name, or where you bought, or where you acquired them from if from the wild? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

what diet you feed that field frog?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Donut the Donkey View Post
    Awesome progress bro! May I know where you got your "wild mosses" from? The light green ones growing on the diagonal driftwoods look amazing. I can't seem to find this moss anywhere. Do you know it's name, or where you bought, or where you acquired them from if from the wild? Thanks.
    Hi Donut, those long erect ones are actually flame moss, got it from c328 last time… the growth seems to be very slow currently…

Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    what diet you feed that field frog?
    Hi limz_777, i now feed the frog exclusively on small crickets, 1 cricket per day

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

not easy to find small crickets , you breeding them ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

coming out very beautifully! the moss are well grown, like.
    I keep sulawesi shrimps, tetras, birds, exotic pets, herptiles and monster fishes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast