4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nerite snail anywhere in Singapore

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As per thread title, I've tried the usual suspects like C328, Y618, K and K at Tampines. None of them seem to have nerite snails in stock. Called CRShaven this afternoon and they do have it in stock, but they only open on Monday.

Would appreciate it if anyone has any leads. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Nerite snail anywhere in Singapore

east ocean had few days ago may still have.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mkt View Post
    east ocean had few days ago may still have.
    Went down this afternoon, indeed they have Horned Nerites and 4 of them are being acclimatized right now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How do you acclimatized them? I had bought 3 from EO but have been three days now and barely any movement. Last I checked when I took one out and touch the back(the soft part of the snail) there was movement.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Use the drip method for acclimatizing your Nerites. They do not really like acidic conditions too much. Anything below 6.5 their shells will start to dissolve. Occasionally, they are not doing too well at the LFS and being snails, will die if the water conditions get bad. If you did the acclimatization process correctly, they should be actively crawling around within the first hour after introduction to the tank. If you don't see them moving for the past few days and the shell remains stationary, then something is wrong somewhere. Pick up the shell and look at the "door". If it goes in deep into the shell then it's highly stressed out and will probably die or already dead within.

Last but not least, be gentle with the Nerites. They do not appreciate being yanked off surfaces roughly. C328 almost always has a number of them in a puny glass tank at the Betta rack and they seldom seem to sell out instantly.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've drip acclimatized them, but one of them doesn't seem all that well, the rest are actively foraging around the entire tank. My pH is around 6.4 with CO2 on towards the end of the lighting period, I've switched to dosing CaNO3 from KNO3 right now, hopefully the calcium in there can help the snails grow tougher shells.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

6.4 is still ok for them but I'd suggest bringing it up to 6.8 or better still, 7. I believe these snails originally came from estuarine habitats so fluctuating water conditions shouldn't be too bad for them but not a constant acid range. I remember Ronwill aka Ronnie, used to feed his snails with calcium tabs. Expensive, but it works, since his snails had excellent shells. Then again those were Red Ramshorns but it's worth a try for the Nerites too.

IMO, most fragile Nerite must be the Horned ones, Clithon corona.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What's a good way you'd recommend to bring the pH up? I do have Co2 constantly being injected into the tank. I was thinking of dosing some baking soda.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In my snail tank I have this mineral rock from Green Chapter. I believe it is montmorillonite clay. It's fairly good for the snails since it releases minerals back into the water column but slowly raises your GH and pH I think. Should be less troublesome than baking soda as it erodes slowly in the tank so the change is gradual. That way, your livestock have time to adapt. I had 5 or 6 large Blue Apple Snails in the tank, that I raised from small specimens purchased at GC until they finally dropped dead after about a year.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The shells of my Horned Nerite always get "pitted" in my ADA Amazonia substrate tank, i.e. pH regularly hit as low as 5.3.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bringing up an old thread .....just came back from That Aquarium in Changi Road. Lots of different snails on sale. Including feeder snails for puffers