Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Sexing of Rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sexing of Rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello Guys,

Is there any expert out that can give us a informative description of how to differentiate the female Rams from the male Rams... I think it will be of great benefit to potential Rams-keeper out there.
    ᶆἇvԑṙịɔѳ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a sure fire way of telling the females is the centre spot, if it has spangles in the spot it's a female. when i used to breed them i could tell the sexes when they were just over a cm long

mick

What does it mean by having spangles on the spot?
    Last edited by benny; 10th Oct 2007 at 11:11. Reason: formatting and URL link
    ᶆἇvԑṙịɔѳ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Where the rams are concerned, the spangles refer to the blue spots appearing in the black spots. The black spot of the male tends to be "more pure", i.e. more black; while the female has the blue spots in the black.

Spangles are any bright decorative bits. The US national anthem is called "The Star-Spangled Banner" after an old flag and referring to the stars on it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For variant like this where there is no obvious spangles how to differentiate the female and male?

(Edit: Picture removed as no credits were given to the original owner/site)
    Last edited by Quixotic; 18th Oct 2007 at 10:21.
    ᶆἇvԑṙịɔѳ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    There is more than one way of sexing them. Have you tried searching for "Mikrogeophagus ramirezi" and read through the threads?

For good measure, read this...
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=33152

P.S. The fish that you are showing looks like the Gold variant.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The photo you've posted looks like a male to me, due to the longer finnages. Do you have the female or other piece? Easier to compare side by side.
    God will make a way, where there seems to be no way

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am quite interested in getting a pair of gold rams but they are less difficult to differenttiate than blue rams....

Can Rams be compatable as tank mate for apisto?
    ᶆἇvԑṙịɔѳ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    nope. Please do not try to keep rams with apistos.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    One other thing, mavarick, can you kindly credit the website where you took the picture from? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by joopsg View Post
    nope. Please do not try to keep rams with apistos.
    But if i provide them with lots of cover. Or if I put just a feamle ram or a female apisto. Will that be okay?
    ᶆἇvԑṙịɔѳ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One thing you need to understand, mavarick, is that cichlids are not as gregarious as say tetras. they tend to be territorial and aggressive to others of the same or similar species. this is why many people here have already warned you against keeping more than 1 pair of apistos in your tank or apistos with rams.

but that being said, it's ultimately your tank and your decision. you have already been told many times what not to do, but what you decide to do at the end of the day is your choice. just be forewarned that while it might happen that your fish survive in that tank, chances are they won't be very happy. if you can live with that, then go ahead i guess.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    female rams have shorter finnage and a red belly during spawning mood.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    cichlids are not as gregarious as say tetras. they tend to be territorial and aggressive to others of the same or similar species. (a)

forewarned that while it might happen that your fish survive in that tank, chances are they won't be very happy. if you can live with that, then go ahead i guess.
    Ha. Ha. I am exploring probability of a mix...

I had read some where online that rams are generally okaycommunity creatures except during breeding. Unlike Flowerhorn or apisto they are not so agressive. Even if they fight. Most of the time. It is a 'bluff'. Which mean none of them will recieve damage.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=1084

I had also heard of an all male tank of apistogramma which is quite succesful. http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=32673

I also read on this thread recently also:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ht=Apisto+Rams
    ᶆἇvԑṙịɔѳ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i believe the threads you linked are qualified. for example, in your last link, the post that mentioned it was possible also qualified it saying that problems will occur when a pair breeds and the other species ventures into its territories

the all male tank was successful because, as its name suggests, it's an all male tank and not 2 pairs. no breeding will occur in an all male tank...furthermore, that tank contains 4-5 pieces of male apistos of different breeds...it's a balance that needs to be achieved whereby no 1 fish gets bullied too much and the aggression is spread evenly. notice taygu's last post in that thread? the timid one suffered. anyway, an all male tank wasn't what you were asking about was it, i thought you wanted pairs?

finally, yes rams are gregarious, but keeping apistos with rams....well the rams may be gregarious but the apistos aren't...so that leaves you with the rams being bullied. that's why joopsg kindly advised you not to keep rams with apistos. i believe in a 3ft tank you will be able to keep more than 2 rams....but mixing apistos into the equation is a different matter altogether.

anyhow, like i've mentioned...it's your tank, your fish and your decision. we can only comment on what we think is best for your fish. try going for a ram comm tank or an all male apisto tank (not gonna be easy to get just males) if you like rams/apistos and want more than 1 pair of fish in your tank? it seems like the best solution to what you're looking for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    just curious. why do you want to keep apistogramma with rams? They are very territorial when breeding.

All male apisto tank works because no need to flare to get attention to spawn.
    Henry aka joopsg
    Current tank: 1 4 tier 3ft fish rack
    Livestock: WC Ivanacara Adoketa, WC Apistogramma Kelleri 'Red Cheeks', A , WC Apistogramma Mendezi, WC Apistogramma Cruziero, WC Apistogramma Elizabethae and WC Biotoecus Operularis.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mavarick,

i find that you simply got to be more decisive as to which kind of fish you really want to keep and stick with it. this way you'll make the job of others who are trying to help and advise you much easier. if you really want to try certain mixes hoping to achieve something new, i wish you and your future fishes all the best. i'm not saying that what you're doing is wrong, but i just want to ask what is it that you are trying to achieve? i have seen tanks which housed vjietas males, german rams, cory cats and plecos together before which turned out well if you do not mind mild aggression here and there. it all boils down to how happy and comfortable you want your fishes to be. if you really wish to try out different types of fishes, the option of getting more tanks will always be the best.
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha. I had decided to keep both.. Rams in my 1st tank and apisto in my second tank... 4rams, 2 plecos cand 2 apistos in total.
    ᶆἇvԑṙịɔѳ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    both 3 ft? if you're planning to spawn them plecos would be a problem. but if not, got lots of potential to set up a nice tank.
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Both same size de. I think should be 2.5 feet to be exact. The demension is bigger than a standard 2 feet but smaller than a 3feet.
    Last edited by mavarick; 14th Oct 2007 at 02:25.
    ᶆἇvԑṙịɔѳ