Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wink Cheapest Simple Tank - Neo Caridina Shrimp Set-up Guide

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    actually i posted this about a month ago, however it has been deleted.

Firstly understanding Neo Caridina Shrimps
    Recommended Water Parameters
    PH: 6.4 - 7.6
    GH: 4 - 14dGh
    KH: 0 - 10dKH
    TDS: 80 - 200ppm Recommended
    Water temp: 18 - 28°C Recommended(I'm keeping them in 31 degrees btw)

Please follow the steps as im going for cheapest method to keep shrimp safely..
    (of course if you have old stuffs pls use it to be more cheap )

-Firstly Get a tank
    I'm using a old betta breeding 1ft tank(im sure you can get a Brand new crystal cube/nano tank of size 30x30x30 for less than $30 if you know where to look for it). I'm using a 5gallon betta 1ft tank, recommendation is 10gallon(37litres) more water = more stable water parameters.

-Filtration
    Qanvee QS-100A ($9.50 at seaview)
    Sera Siporax Mini small packet $3.50 at seaview

-Air Pump/tubing
    Ocean Free Pump 1000 + Airline Tubing ($6.50+$1)

-Soil
    ANS PLANTA SOIL (RED/PINK PACKET $5.50 x 2)

-Bacteria
    You can buy any brands of bacteria you wish to use, can be liquid can be powder. (i'm using BorneoWild Enlive $25 balance from other tanks), (the cheapest is $5-6 PSB BACTERIA LIQUID FORM per bottle and of course there is BACTER AE brand etc etc more expensive).
    you just need it for start up, see your budget and buy..

-Shrimp Hiding Place
    I've used cactus wood and some old accessories like water valve/water pipes etc u can see in the tank - ( wood $3-4 per piece Fb/Carousell)
    Up to your budget, have some dark spots for them to hide if possible..

-Lighting
    Any LED white light that is cheap, ive chosen TOP AQUA 30cm - $23 after discount around $20?

-Power Timer
    $9 thru online =D

-Plants
    Java Moss and marimo moss ball chosen - $6 total

-Dechlorinator
    Seachem Prime 250ml - $10
    This will never go wrong

-Mineral Stones/Rock/Balls
    there's lots of brands out there, i used mineral rock from Secret Shrimp Society - $8

-Test kits
    Gh/Kh/Ph/Tds Meter/Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite
    Is good to have test kits but if you dont, its fine with this set up...

Now Lets Start..
    Firstly add in Bacteria to the tank, 1 spoonful and spread as the base of the tank, if you're using liquid form then its fine to pour it in too..
    2nd, Add soil and flatten them, shrimps prefer flat surfaces..
    Now add in filter with medias,turn on the air pump.. / you may add in dechlorinated water slowly now
    -1ml treats around 40litres of water for seachem prime.. so do your maths.. few drops is fine..
    -Java moss tied to wood/shrimp hiding place etc etc(use a fishing line or some strings),
    Add in Plants, then place your lights on for 3 or 4 hours daily set on your timer. (more hours = more tend of algae bloom)
    Add in 2-3 Mineral Rock/Stone do not follow the instruction at the back of the packet. You may add in more if required. (it requires to change after 6months)

Wait for 2 weeks..

2 weeks later, use a cup, take out 2-3 cups of cycled water.. now put back and refill them with dechlorinated water. (1 x 250ml new tap water cup i add 1-2 drop of prime)
    You should always dechlorinate them before adding into tank.

Your tank now should have a reading of:
    0 Ammonia
    0 Nitrite
    1-2 Nitrate
    Tds:120 +/-
    Gh 4-5
    Kh 0-1
    Temp: 31 degree celsius
    (Above results is tested After 2 month)
    Go Get your shrimps!!! remember its neocaridina, so Yellow/Golden Top/Red Cherry/Red Rilis all these are fine without chiller.

Climating The Shrimp to tank
    After getting your shrimps; placed them in a bowl.. now slowly drip your tank water to this bowl for 1 drop per sec, or use a dropper every 2-3mins 3ml.. for the next 30mins..
    after 30mins, you may net your shrimps into your tank..

Food:
    i've tried all sorts of foods and wasted lots of money.. from borneo wild to shirakura to benibachii etc etc..
    the best for my results.. Hikari Algae Wafer Mini ($7) , before feed i break into 4 piece and feed a quarter every 2nd day or 3 days..
    It depends on number of shrimps and as well as the more you feed the more your water gets spoilt. They will do just fine..

Algae Cleaners:
    you may add in Otos $1.50 or Yamato Shrimp as algae cleaners too..
    add 1 each will be fine.. you do not want your shrimps to compete food with them..

Total Damage without livestocks/tank/bacteria/wafer food for me: $70.50
    Total Damage Fresh from start-up without livestocks: $150 -this is based on $25 bacteria and $30 crystal tank/$20 LED light you may lower it to cheaper ones if you wish

I've took some golden tops from friend, you will need 8-10 shrimps to establish a breeding community..

See the attach photo

left plants is recently added from old tank.. monte carlo and a long plant dunno what its called (all are low tech plants)

<span style="color: rgb(35, 31, 32); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-align: justify;">

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Cheapest Simple Tank - Neo Caridina Shrimp Set-up Guide

hey I find this really helpful for me as I'm trying to get myself started on this hobby with cherry red shrimps =)

can I ask if these shrimps do fine in tap water treated with de-chlorine solution.. or I need to get those distilled water from super market?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by imtai View Post
    hey I find this really helpful for me as I'm trying to get myself started on this hobby with cherry red shrimps =)

can I ask if these shrimps do fine in tap water treated with de-chlorine solution.. or I need to get those distilled water from super market?

you may use your tap water with seachem prime.. its safe..

Every week or 1.5week 1-2 cup of water change.. you will do just fine..

To Add in more info water parameters:
    Total Dissolve solids may increase due to feeding and less water change..

PH Meter: $10 and below online
    TDS METER: $10 and below online
    Testkits: Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite > Cycle your tank properly u wont even need these i only uses PH and TDS METER(Seldom uses it too =D )

What if your ph went up high? -Add Ketapang(indian almond Leaves/Cholla or cactus wood/Cinnamon Sticks) all these make your tank yellowish/tanin acids. Or every day replace the tank water, till your ph drops...

Ph went down? - with mineral stone(contains calcium and other minerals) in tank, i doubt it will drop below 5.8ph unless your mineral stone/ball is due for replacement.

Tds Went Up? - Do Frequent water change daily.. / Remove tank water and Use Distilled water + Anti Chlorine to top up.. / add activated carbon filter(remember to replace them after a month or 2.)

Tds Went down? Add Mineral Stone should help.. (check if your filter contains Activated Carbon, remove them..) Buy GH+ or GH/KH+(there are many shrimp products out there), if you confident u may add corals chips, it increase your ph as well as tds.. but do not over do it..
    Last edited by p0ip0i; 18th Dec 2016 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow u are really detailed. so insightful =) thanks a million.. I still have yet to source the Size of tank and filter and substrates which I will use for my cherry hahah

Hey p0ip0i

Thanks to this guide (and the one that I read previously), I have started my 13L Nano Shrimp Tank "Greenwood" project.

I hope I have done everything right (with some modifications, of course) and will appreciate any inputs you might have.

Thank you once again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi rezdwan, saw your project.. have fun!!

Setting up a new tank for my friend.. and decided to do a review on all my stuffs.

1. Qanvee Qs-100a Sponge Filter
    2. Seachem Prime
    3. Crystal Glass Tank 30cm x 17 x 21 (10L tank)
    4. Dropper/Pipette 3ml & 1ml
    5. Ocean Free Zero Noise Z-1000 Air Pump - Almost no noise
    6. Sera Siporax Mini Filter Media
    7. UP AQUA PRO LED ET SERIES 30cm - for aquatic plants
    8. ANS PLANTA SOIL GREEN PACKET 3L - for shrimp non-planted tank
    9. MAN-TOU SHRIMP HIDING PLACE - TAOBAO
    10. 2 piece Mineral Rock by Shrimp Secret Society & 3 balls of Borneo Wild BeeBall
    11. 1L Ada Amazonia Soil - Leftovers
    12. Airline Tubing + 2 way Valve

Yellow Coloured Nos. are additives and food supplement reviews
    13. Mosura Graze Food - These are great when you going on overseas, feed one, and the balance white flakes are leftovers which is normal, and it will grow natural food for the shrimps for a period of time. You may see your shrimps frenzy over it.
    14. Hikari Mini Algae Wafer - Great for neo caridina / otos / yamato shrimp / snails - you may see them frenzy over this.
    15. Hikari Crab Cuisine - Food supplement for growth, you may see neo caridina frenzy over this
    16. Genchem Beta-Glucans - Boost immune function / enhances aquatic cells anti bacterial activity. Add 1/5 spoonful a week for tank less than 50 litres. (as this is kind of costly, but $18 last almost a lifetime , there's a way to DIY it, i'll come to that other post.)
    17. BorneoWild Minerax - Not a must to have, but it improves water quality, reduce stress, prevent sickness, encourage activation and growth of bacteria in the water.
    18. BorneoWild Exterminate - Removal of Planaria/snails - It killed all my baby neons as i didnt read, "Recommended to remove all shrimps/snails and fishes before application". Well it did not kill all the pest too..
    19. BorneoWild Enlive - Multi Purpose Culture of more than 100 types bacterial in dormant state, helps to seed bacterial culter safely. Great for start-up tanks
    20. BorneoWild Red Ruby - Speciality food for red cherry shrimps to enhance growth and redness. (Frenzy!!)
    21. BorneoWild Bee Ball - This works all the same for all bee balls/mineral balls/tourmaline balls/Mineral stones.(too exp just for just its brand)
    22. BorneoWild Gold Ingot - Speciality food for Golden/yellow shrimps enhance growth and yellowness. (my golden shrimp doesnt even touch them.)
    23/24. Bottled Crab Cusine & Hikari Algae Wafer as daily food(alt days), bottled separate to remain freshness.

Okay the above is my own personal review of using the products, you may experience better outcome than me. But still its your choice to experiment the products.

Quote Originally Posted by p0ip0i View Post
    hi rezdwan, saw your project.. have fun!!
    Thanks! I will definitely have fun doing this.

Setting up a new tank for my friend.. and decided to do a review on all my stuffs.

1. Qanvee Qs-100a Sponge Filter
    2. Seachem Prime
    3. Crystal Glass Tank 30cm x 17 x 21 (10L tank)
    4. Dropper/Pipette 3ml & 1ml
    5. Ocean Free Zero Noise Z-1000 Air Pump - Almost no noise
    6. Sera Siporax Mini Filter Media
    7. UP AQUA PRO LED ET SERIES 30cm - for aquatic plants
    8. ANS PLANTA SOIL GREEN PACKET 3L - for shrimp non-planted tank
    9. MAN-TOU SHRIMP HIDING PLACE - TAOBAO
    10. 2 piece Mineral Rock by Shrimp Secret Society & 3 balls of Borneo Wild BeeBall
    11. 1L Ada Amazonia Soil - Leftovers
    12. Airline Tubing + 2 way Valve
    Cool! More equipment for you to play with. Your friend is very lucky.

Yellow Coloured Nos. are additives and food supplement reviews
    13. Mosura Graze Food - These are great when you going on overseas, feed one, and the balance white flakes are leftovers which is normal, and it will grow natural food for the shrimps for a period of time. You may see your shrimps frenzy over it.
    14. Hikari Mini Algae Wafer - Great for neo caridina / otos / yamato shrimp / snails - you may see them frenzy over this.
    15. Hikari Crab Cuisine - Food supplement for growth, you may see neo caridina frenzy over this
    16. Genchem Beta-Glucans - Boost immune function / enhances aquatic cells anti bacterial activity. Add 1/5 spoonful a week for tank less than 50 litres. (as this is kind of costly, but $18 last almost a lifetime , there's a way to DIY it, i'll come to that other post.)
    17. BorneoWild Minerax - Not a must to have, but it improves water quality, reduce stress, prevent sickness, encourage activation and growth of bacteria in the water.
    18. BorneoWild Exterminate - Removal of Planaria/snails - It killed all my baby neons as i didnt read, "Recommended to remove all shrimps/snails and fishes before application". Well it did not kill all the pest too..
    19. BorneoWild Enlive - Multi Purpose Culture of more than 100 types bacterial in dormant state, helps to seed bacterial culter safely. Great for start-up tanks
    20. BorneoWild Red Ruby - Speciality food for red cherry shrimps to enhance growth and redness. (Frenzy!!)
    21. BorneoWild Bee Ball - This works all the same for all bee balls/mineral balls/tourmaline balls/Mineral stones.(too exp just for just its brand)
    22. BorneoWild Gold Ingot - Speciality food for Golden/yellow shrimps enhance growth and yellowness. (my golden shrimp doesnt even touch them.)
    23/24. Bottled Crab Cusine & Hikari Algae Wafer as daily food(alt days), bottled separate to remain freshness.

Okay the above is my own personal review of using the products, you may experience better outcome than me. But still its your choice to experiment the products.
    Thanks for this simple review also. Would love to try other products mentioned here for more options.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

can I check with you guys.. adding enlive when starting up the tank would be sufficient for cycling the tank?

soil wise, for neocaridina like cherry, issit possible to use those active substrates like ada amazonia soil? or mus I use a inert substrate?

I see many shrimp keeper using those sponge filters ikea qanvee. but there also also some video I saw on YouTube recommending a HOB filter. what are your consideration when choosing a filter? the tank size?

sorry for asking so much =× thanks in advance !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

THE SECRET POWDER - Boosting your Immune System of Shrimps
    DIY BETA GLUCANS FOR SHRIMPS

Beta Glucans can be coming from fungi/yeast/plants/plants/oats

Firstly you need 100% Oats Wholegrain Original/Old Fashion/ORGANIC (not those flavoured type)(you can get it from ntuc less than $5-10 for a box/can, balance u can eat it of course its healthy~).

2nd, you need to grind them into powder, using this..(you know old ppl sure have this at home).

Now take about 3-4 spoonful of oats and put them in, start pounding and grinding them in circle into powder form..
    After 20-30mins of hardwork, keep them in a container. TA DA~! THIS IS YOUR BETA Glucans!

Do Note: This is highly concentrated, a small pinch to your tank will be sufficient for the week.. More may foul the water..

Oats Concentrations 8-15% of Beta G from shrimp products
    Your Quaker Oats End Product may have 15-30% of Beta G =D

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cool Re: Cheapest Simple Tank - Neo Caridina Shrimp Set-up Guide

can I check with you guys.. adding enlive when starting up the tank would be sufficient for cycling the tank?

soil wise, for neocaridina like cherry, issit possible to use those active substrates like ada amazonia soil? or mus I use a inert substrate?

I see many shrimp keeper using those sponge filters ikea qanvee. but there also also some video I saw on YouTube recommending a HOB filter. what are your consideration when choosing a filter? the tank size?

sorry for asking so much =× thanks in advance !

1) Yes it will be sufficient for cycling the tank, if you feel 2 weeks of cycling isnt safe, as all the shrimp keepers recommend, cycle it for a month then..

2) Yes u can use active substrates, but you may see a spike in algae,pesticides growth in tank which is normal.. (you can just add tiny fishes for 1-2day to clear those pest up..)
    It all downs to the PH you trying to achieve/plants you going to keep. Red cherry's can live in wide range of water parameters, its just a matter of how you climate it. I have a planted tank, TDS of 280, Water temp 31 degrees, Gh 12,Kh 4, Ph 6.4 No water changes only top up since 8 months ago, Filter Sponge Replaced after 3 months.. Media never washed.. Using Amazonia Soil, Plants Ferts kinda alot, Co2. I ever top up Sg Tap Water couple of times directly into it without dechlorinating them, may face about 1-2 shrimp death but its fine as there were about 100 over shrimps in it.. they were my first batch of shrimps kinda cheap ones(Cherry Shrimps) for algae crews.

3) Sponge filters are good for just shrimp based tanks, as it wouldnt disturb the substrates, as well as sucking up shrimplets which you wouldnt want. As for HOB, its more effective in cycling water parameters, however if the water level gets low, the output force of the water flow may disturb the substrate, and the inlet of the HOB filter, you may have to put in a mesh shrimplet guard/sponge to prevent them from being sucked in..
    If its a planted tank then its more recommended to have a HOB or canister as your filter due to the flow/cycle of water around the tank.. If its a shrimp based bare tank with minimum low tech plants, then i would recommend a sponge filter will do better.
    For Tank Size, i will say every 25-30cm wide 1 sponge filter for the water surface movement to prevent mosquitos!! where as if its a HOB or canister, the flowrate is much faster, and you wont face mosquito breeding.. Mosquito larvae breed in stagnant water, otherwise place in some tiny fish, solves all problems! =D

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hey thanks alot poipoi for your speedy response =)

all these post really tempt me into starting it before CNY =× jus worried about my fiancée nagging T.T

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hey thanks alot poipoi for your speedy response =)

all these post really tempt me into starting it before CNY =× jus worried about my fiancée nagging T.T

usually if scared partner nag, show them planted tanks.. =D make sure u do up to it.. shrimp based tank they tend to dont like it so much compared to planted..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

usually if scared partner nag, show them planted tanks.. =D make sure u do up to it.. shrimp based tank they tend to dont like it so much compared to planted..
    isn't it harder to maintain a planted tank? I prefer a low tech setup. less hassle and less hurting to my wallet =(

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup, but the end result still satisfying.. =D

The More You Know, The Simpler It Is..
    Cheapest Simple Tank NeoCaridina Shrimp Set up Guide

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

New tank set up.. using lava rock(picked)
    Amazonia Soil + Ans planta soil..
    plants Monte Carlo + mini fissidens + frogbit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Today using api test for ammonia and nitrite for new tank

Ammonia test - 5ml of tank water + 8 drops of bottle #1 + 8 drops of bottle #2

Nitrite test - 5ml of tank water + 5 drops of nitrite test solution

Today using api test for ammonia and nitrite for new tank

Ammonia test - 5ml of tank water + 8 drops of bottle #1 + 8 drops of bottle #2

Nitrite test - 5ml of tank water + 5 drops of nitrite test solution

Time to get those shrimps!

What shrimps are you planning to get for this tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Updates
    After the 2-3 golden Too shrimps gave birth
    Total shrimplet count 20+

I moved the adults to another tank
    However left 4 pieces inside
    3 died when transfered after 3 days..
    but good news is the one of the mama berried again

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rezdwan View Post
    Time to get those shrimps!

What shrimps are you planning to get for this tank?

5 x prl shrimp inside
    2 berried mama now.. can't wait for the shrimplets to come out

5 x prl shrimp inside
    2 berried mama now.. can't wait for the shrimplets to come out

Hi, p0ip0i.

Long time no see.

Those shrimps are nice! When I saw the metal tube in this tank, I knew it was going to be something different.

The Pure Red Line shrimps are from the Caridina cantonensis species, right?

Hope to see more updates from you soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast