Images
    Country
    Singapore

DIY 4 X T5HO 2 feet light sets with fans

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, those who remember me asking for advice on which light set to buy in May, I am now back to report that I have still not found one that fits my requirements within budget. Therefore the next option would naturally be DIY for me. The light sets were done some time ago, but left to gather dust while I DIY other stuff, and mainly, while I clear up my room for space to accommodate my fish tank. Now things have more or less fallen in place and thus I have decided to share my work.

I was looking for 4 T5HO light tubes set that could be timed to alternate 2 lights and 4 lights to on and off at different times. I wanted inbuilt fans to cool the eballasts. I wanted individual parabolic reflectors for each light tube.

As my tank’s width is only 30cm, I had a hard time fitting 4 reflectors in and leaving enough space for other stuff. Each reflector will need 5.5 cm, leaving only 8 cm for the eballast if I have the light tubes by the sides as most other DIY light sets are designed. The followings are CAD done (not to scale) to visualise the 2 most space saving designs I came up with.

Light set designs.jpg

Design 1 looks unique, but problems of instability and light blockage at the sides may cause problems . Design 2 wastes trunking space, but at least they are separate units so that I can remove or repair one while the other is working .

The next restriction is the available trunking sizes commercially available. To fit all in one trunking, the minimum trunking width will have to be 9”, which I have failed to find. 2 X 5” will take up too much space. Therefore, I have decided to use 4 inch trunkings and let the reflectors protrude a little. Decided to spray paint the casing black.

Black Trunking Light Set.jpg

Bought my 4” by 2” trunkings from Warenest Hardware Trading at Bt Batok, contact number: 63162339. Measured and cut to length, folded the sides up and glued, leaving enough space to slot in the covers with attached fans. Made a mistake the first time, and realised I could not slot in the covers when the eballast and fans were attached, and there were no way I could slot in the cover before I attach the electronics, therefore thrown the 1st set of casing away in despair. Learnt my lesson and left enough space from the start. Holes for screws and fans were drilled and cut.

Trunkings cut.jpg

Next step was to use masking tapes to block out where I do not want paint, and spray paint the rest of the area. Sand the surface smooth in water before drying it and spray painting. Made many mistakes with uneven spray paints which I shall not mention here . Below are the results of the casing after spray painting in many thin coats of metallic black. Nice shiny metallic effect!!

Metallic Black Casing.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gemo82; 31st Jul 2008 at 04:08. Reason: Resize picture attachments

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Next was to connect the waterproof endcaps to the eballast and screw them on. Connection diagram on the eballast was helpful and was pretty easy to follow even for a 1st timer like me . Eballasts, waterproof end caps and parabolic reflectors can be bought from DeLightings or Aquamarin. I bought different items from both to compare price and quality, and they are pretty much the same to me except convenience (I live in the West) .

A DC fan is attached with bolts to the cover of the light casing. Wires were connected using screw-in connectors as I do not own a soldering tool. An AC to DC adaptor was connected at the other end. The fans were placed such that they blow air out of the casings. Fans, fan covers, adaptors etc can be bought from Sim Lim tower.

Connections.jpg

The next part was where I realised I made a big mistake the previous time and redid everything from scratch. So you can bet my relief when the cover slotted into the casing nicely!!

Light sets top and bottom.JPG

Light tubes.JPG

Fitting the reflectors was a breeze. However, do take caution handling the reflectors as the edges are RAZOR sharp!! Cut my fingers while I was wiping finger prints off them, and I merely gently “touched” along the edges…

With reflectors.JPG
    Last edited by gemo82; 31st Jul 2008 at 04:12. Reason: Resize picture attachments

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

And LET THERE BE LIGHT!! (And WIND!!)

And LET THERE BE LIGHT!! (And WIND!!)

Let there be light 1.JPG

Let there be light 2.JPG
    Last edited by gemo82; 31st Jul 2008 at 04:13. Reason: Resize picture attachments

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very nice work

3D modeling, you must be very free

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very nicely done wish i had the ability to DIY haha...i'm a total klutz when it comes to DIY. I got my set with 2 switches and a fanset made by DElightings. In future when I gather the courage, I shall attempt to follow in your footsteps to DIY something like that!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am indeed quite free, thus passing time by doing some DIY for what I need. 3D modelling is for me to see if the dimensions fit, and to visualise if it looked weird. Since I got the program..haha...

DElightings's work very professional. Tempted to get one from them initially, but the cost is too high for me. But they used premium stuff like German eballasts etc. And the casing is aluminium. They delivered the DIY parts to me promptly also, good service. 2 switches cannot automate with timers also right? Unless got built in timers.

When I upgrade my tank nest time, maybe I can try to DIY with dimmer. Then I can automate sun rise and sun set better....haha...

I DIYed the tank's canopy also, but now I am not sure if I can upload all the photos to start another thread. Will post when I am free...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i got 2 switches with 2 plugs, so i have my outer 2 lights on 1 switch/plug and the inner 2 lights on the other switch/plug. my fan's on a 3rd plug. Got DElightings to addin the fan for me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Must be quite a fortune you invested for the lights. Care to share your lighting schedule, how you alternate the lights?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Re: DIY 4 X T5HO 2 feet light sets with fans

Hi Bro,

Care to share your total DIY Price? Especially on the E ballast + lighting tube and etc?

I would love to DIY too, but haha, the eballast + tube is super expensive in Malaysia for OS..M brand, approx sgd50 per set. really drive me crazy on their price. however, if i take more than 20 set, then it should be cheaper. But haha, i only need 6 set.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure if they do deliver to Malaysia though. Price isn't that cheap compared to ready-made ones, but at least I am sure of the quality of the electronic components I use, and I can customise it the way I want.

I'll state the cost I spent on DIY, including spray painting etc if you want when I am free, but I do not think its relevant to you in Malaysia. The cost of the crucial components can be found in the websites cited by bro hii above.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi Bro,

Thanks!