Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Single side or both side viewing tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Single side or both side viewing tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

Need advice for the above mention for a 6x2x2ft. The pros and cons beside you have one more surface to clean.

1. Any extra equipment to take note beside CO2, filter and light?
    2. Equipment setup- will it be more complicated?
    3. Water circulation? Need to us additional filter?
    4. Any other input or cautions for setup, etc?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Single side or both side viewing tank?

[quote:8e9bda01f2="Heuer"]Hi folks,

Need advice for the above mention for a 6x2x2ft. The pros and cons beside you have one more surface to clean.

1. Any extra equipment to take note beside CO2, filter and light?
    2. Equipment setup- will it be more complicated?
    3. Water circulation? Need to us additional filter?
    4. Any other input or cautions for setup, etc?

Thanks[/quote:8e9bda01f2]

whether one sided or two.. those questions above should be about the same as a single sided tank. What's different is only the aquascaping

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Things to consider:
    • Your filtration plumbing will be slightly different... now the intakes and outlets hang at the ends of the tank instead of the back.
    • Don't waste the advantage of having access to the tank from both the 'front' and 'back'. One reason for the 2ft heigth limit is reach... can't reach the bottom back of the tank if the tank is any taller. If you access from both sides I think you can afford to go up to 3ft tall before reach becomes an issue. If you are having the top of the tank enclose in a cabinet, make sure you build in access from the back as well. (I know someone with a really tall tank, and only access from the back. Now he has a very hard time cleaning the inside of the front glass. And when scaping, he has to run from room to room to see his placements because the tank is built into a wall between rooms.)
    • If you are having the sides enclosed, think thru the set up and maintainance process and see if the design hampers your setup and maintainance... I know ppl who later cursed their carpenters because they have a very hard time trying to run the cables and hoses thru the side covers. (I cursed my designer because the cabinets are too low for me to put any cannister filter inside.)
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Vinz,

Thanks for the input. as for your first point, i can foresee that. that is why i mention is circulation a problem. If the intake and outlet hose from the filter is on the same side (eg left side), wouldn't right side of the tank be poorly circulated. will using 2 filters a better choice to solve this problem.

As for point 2, this will not be a problem as i intent to use MH but will 3 ft too high for MH to punch thru and i am only 1.65m. I intend to use this tank as a divider in my living room.

i don't really understand point 3. care to explain further in detail.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c70b99082b="Heuer"]
    I intend to use this tank as a divider in my living room.
    [/quote:c70b99082b]

I take it that you have a balcony and you want some daylight to filter in. I had similar ideas w you when I was planning my tank. Kick-wise, the longer and the taller the better. But you need to consider how much natural light you want to have in your balcony unless you don't mind sitting in a dim/ gloomy living room, or having your living rm lights on the entire day.

Another issue is loading. This is not to scare you, but let's just say different people have different tolerance. Just be aware, a 3 ft ht would significantly increase N/m2 loading. I personally would not sit comfortable w anything more than 2 ft high, given the length of 6 ft.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Multiple filters may not be necessary, It depends on how strong the first one is. You can always run the hoses to either end, either inside or outside.

Depends on your layout too. Are you going to have a triangular layout? high on one end and slope down to the other? Or a valley layout? Or mound layout? It will affect you hide the filter plumbing and other equipment.

For my own 6ft tank, I split the filter output into 2, one at each end.

Of course running long hoses will effect the flow rate somewhat. And also the aesthetics and ease of maintainance factor.

For point 2, I meant reach by hand not the light... for maintainance and planting. Light reach issues can always be resolved by using less light demanding plants at the foreground. With a tall tank, you'll find it harder to maintain foreground anyway, so you'll want something that won't grow too fast... like some short cryptos or moss.

Get a short ladder or sturdy stool for maintainance purposes.

For such a large tank, most ppl will aim for more low maintainance plants like rossettes and less fast growing stemmed plants.

For pt 3, say for tank like this:
    Code:
    +---+---------------------+---+
    |   |                     |   |
    | A |        Tank         | A |
    |   +---------------------+   |
    |   +----+----+ +----+----+   |
    |   |    |    | |    |    |   |
    |   +----+----+ +----+----+   |
    +-----------------------------+
    The two sections marked A are part of the cabinet. The filters and electrical connections will be inside the cabinet at the bottom portion. The wires and hoses will have to be run through the insides of sections A to reach the tank top. Sometimes the A sections are made too narrow, or the access holes are too small and it becomes very difficult to run the hoses and wires. Don't forget the hoses have to removed occassionally for cleaning. The best is to have the A sections made with removable panels or doors so that you get better access into them.

As for load bearing... HDB flat owners have to get a permit from HDB before installing tanks larger then 4ft. I haven't done the application before, but my impression is that it's not impossible to get. HDB simply wants to be satisfied that you will install a sufficiently strong frame to hold up the tank and spread the load (as oppose to the skinny 4 or 6 legged iron stands commonly sold) and that the tank is placed in a strong load bearing portion of the flat (usually near or on a support beam/wall/structure).

One guy got thru the application with 2 rectangular steel frames... one to hold the tank, and the other to rest on the floor, and 10 legs between the 2 frames. The cabinet was built around the frame.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys,

Thanks for the info.

Mike, i don't have balcony in my house. i just want to use this tank as a divider so that people outside my main door can't really see what is inside my house.

I don't intent to build a full height carbinet to house this tank. Therefore, Vinz, if i don't misinterpret your diagram wrongly, what you drew is custom build carbinet that is able to hide the hose and wiring.

What i intent to do is just a bare tanks supported by a solid carbinet with MH right on top.

Lastly, how much does HDB charge for applying and certifying the permit if u have the answer off hand. if not, i can find out from them.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:a55b59a69d="vinz"]As for load bearing... HDB flat owners have to get a permit from HDB before installing tanks larger then 4ft. ....[/quote:a55b59a69d]

Vinz, this is news to me! Was thinking of having a 5ft x 2 x 2 for quite a while. Didn't know of such a HDB requirement., i.e. a permit.
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:
    http://www.freewebs.com/cbong/index.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:b7ff83f839="Heuer"]...

I don't intent to build a full height carbinet to house this tank. Therefore, Vinz, if i don't misinterpret your diagram wrongly, what you drew is custom build carbinet that is able to hide the hose and wiring.
    [/quote:b7ff83f839]
    If you "don't misinterpret wrongly", you will be wrong. :P :P :P

Yeah, that's what my diagram meant.

Lastly, how much does HDB charge for applying and certifying the permit if u have the answer off hand. if not, i can find out from them.

Cheers!!
    I have no idea. Anyway, there is a webpage about it with details about how to apply on the HDB website. I did a quick look-see and found it. http://www.hdb.gov.sg, click "Renovation and Maintainance" then scroll down and click on "Fish Tank".

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:00c7d7dd="cbong"][quote:00c7d7dd="vinz"]As for load bearing... HDB flat owners have to get a permit from HDB before installing tanks larger then 4ft. ....[/quote:00c7d7dd]

Vinz, this is news to me! Was thinking of having a 5ft x 2 x 2 for quite a while. Didn't know of such a HDB requirement., i.e. a permit. [/quote:00c7d7dd]

Hi
    Recently sent in my application for installing a 5x2x2. With info on weight, placement etc etc. Just give estimate will do. Approved liao.

Here's a direct url -> http://www.hdb.gov.sg/__482566bc0026...5?OpenDocument