Country
    Singapore

Suggestion for 2ft tank (60L)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bros,

Any suggestion on canister filter for 2ft tank?

Thought of DIY 1, cant find any small pump that can be use for extracting & pumping water........
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The smallest lowest capacity canister filter I've seen is the Eheim Ecco 2231. That should fit your 2 footer.

OTOH, if you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank in the future, you can go with a high capacity filter and partially close the filter outlet valve to control the flow.

For small filters/pumps, look for the Eden series. There are also a number of copies of the Eden series appearing in the market in the last few months. I'll still get an Eden though.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I use a 2224 for my 2ft, which provides a fairly, but not overly, strong current. It may seem too strong at first but after a while, natural clogging will temper the current. You can use a submerged rainbar if you want to spread out the current outflow.

This 2224 was actually purchased 2nd hand in 2001 after the original owner had used for a few years. It continued to work with absolutely no problems until this weekend, when the filter head sprang a leak (and just a small one, not the type which wets the whole floor). So I took it to Qian Hu, where the repair centre guy found it was due to a cracked rubber liner (the big liner linking the filter head to the canister body). So I just replaced this (about $10) and it's now working fine.

I don't know much about other filter brands, but surely this is what you call paying for quality that lasts.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bros,

Thanks for the feedback.

Wow, wouldn't 2224 be overpower, 700L/hr?
    For a 2ft tank, it is only abt 60L......

As for 2231, can't find it under eheim???

Any recommendation if I want to DIY. what pump to use? Please see pictures. Any comment, should I DIY or just buy readily canister......?

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...040&idx=27

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...041&idx=26
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:f257213b="fleekk"]Please see pictures. Any comment, should I DIY or just buy readily canister......?

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...040&idx=27

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...041&idx=26[/quote:f257213b]
    Hi 'fleekk',
    The two pics caught my curiousity. What is it supposed to be? A DIY COČ generator or something like filter canister? What's that black thingie inside?

For the elbow and piping, what material was used to bond/seal them to the acrylic canister? I was gonna discard one of these hazed flip-lock container but your idea inspired me. Looks like a good candidate for COČ generator. Thanks!!

If you're gonna in with this hobby for a while, get a Eheim, period. Flow rate can always be reduced or re-directed.

Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I DIY once and it was a bad experience. I did it with Horlick bottles and had 5 of them in line. The bad thing about my DIY canisters is they always leak at the inlet/outlet nozzle joints. Don't let my experience discourage you from trying because my design was poor and I never have a flair for building things.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro,

It is a DIY canister filter for smaller tank, you can use silicon to seal all the holes in the container, fill it up with ceramic rings and you are ready to plug & play. But I am still searching for the right pump to intake & pump out the water........ Any pump to recommend?

I find it too costly to get a eheim canister just for a 2ft tank........& to cumbersome/space occuying for a internal filter......that where DIY come about.
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anybody remembers this design http://www.arofanatics.com/members/l...bers/limsteel/?

Maybe if this guy is still around can update us how his design is working?
    Zulkifli