Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: sharing tips for planted tank

sharing tips for planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got these tips from the ever helpful boss of genx yesterday.

1) fertilizing: fertilize (liq) 1 hr after lights are turned on, for 2ft tank, he uses 1cap full of JBL (actually meant for 2-3 weeks dosage!) everday. logic: after 1 hr the plants are photosynthesizing and in need of fert, they will hence suck it in very well. putting fert at any other time esp close to lights out time will mean it won't be utilised by plants and instead algae will use it to flourish.

2) trimming plants: after trimming, no lights for 24 hrs to let plants recover.

3) algae breakout remedy: (desperate times) apply blackwater till black black, off lights for 48 hrs, then on again plus throw in shrimps to clean up. he says confirm no more algae.

4)lighting hrs: no splitting of hrs (ie. 4hrs then off then 4 hrs later in the day), must one stretch on all the way. and he reccs 8 or 9 hrs, 10 hrs max, no more, else algae. if you come back from work and want to see your tank, just switch it on but only for 1 hr max, just to admire your tank.

5)spot algae: otto is the best. he has this "cleanup tank" with 20 plus ottos, which he throws broad leaved plants which kena spot algae into. within 2 days no more spot algae.

hope these tips help me as much as it helps you!! best part is, he was very nice, tells you everything without expecting you to buy anything or push anything to you. other lfs would immediately jump at the chance to push you to buy this and that, like ottos, but he doesn't bother to.
    []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hippo,

No offence, but i feel the 1st point should be qualified. Dumping a heap of liquid fert at the break of day isn't going to beef up the plants if the light and CO2 dun match in intensity. My guess is that if CO2 is in excess of 80 mg/l and 3-4 W per gallon, it may work. But i would hesitate do put in 2-3 weeks dosage daily - 10 ml of Tropica MG every forthnight is already the limit for me.

Haven't heard of his blackwater algae treatment scheme. Probably it shocks the algae with a pH slump, starves them off light, and get the shrimp to do the coup de grace. Question is what about the other plants/fishes? Will try adding more blackwater extract and see if any difference.

point 4 goes again Dennerle's anti-algae advice, but then again few seem to believe it. 10 hours max is a good, but apparently rarely adhered to maximum though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Hoppinghippo,

I wouldn't trust all of the advice too.

Reply 1): I think the logic is not sound nor proven.

Reply 2): No comments, but no proof again. I have been trimming my plants in the morning and followed by lighting for another 8 hrs. Plants are doing very well still.

Reply 3: True for some type of algae. The humic acid in the "blackwater" can help. However, not a long term solution. Need to balance your light, nutrients & CO2.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dropped by GenX just now, spoke to Thomas about the ADA fert as I bought the Special Light and Step 1 previously. What he recommended for me is to dose daily, but spreading out the weekly dose (ie weekly dose divide by 7). He also emphasise to dose 2 hours after lights and CO2 comes on for best effect.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

I think daily dosing is ok cuz after all Amano does that for ALL his tanks. but yes I think it should be reduced to weekly dose divided by 7. But thomas (is that his name?) claims the one capful of JBL daily IS used for his tank and as you can see, no algae outbreak and moss grows well. oh and his advice was more for xmass moss, cuz he was saying the moss can really suck in lots of fert once it starts to photosynthesize. as for the logic, I think it holds as far as the argument of wther one should add fert after a few hrs of light or at any other time, cuz obviously at any other time esp close to lights out time, the plants will not be able to use the fert in the process of photosynthesis but algae being lower lifeform would be able to, hence it'll flourish instead of your plants. but I haven't tried it yet myself cuz also scared of algae outbreak.

As for lights out after trimming, I also donno, always anyhow cut anytime I like too. but in a way, when you trim, you're damaging the plant's stems, I wonder if it's true that the plant needs rest to recover from the shock b4 starting work proper (ie photosynthesizing).

As for lighting time, I"m not sure too cuz dianne walstad advocated at least 12/13 hrs of light a day as her logic was higher order plants can utilise high intensity light better than algae (lower order) so more light also good for plants to outgrow algae. but I had bad spot algae breakout, threw in 3 more ottos (11 now for a 20gal tank) plus reduced light to 9 hrs. and there's quite a bit of difference oredi, but donno if it's only due to the new ottos (or partial h2o change).

as for blackwater, no idea man, but thomas swears by it, says it works all the time for him, maybe the blackwater also cuts out all light to the tank?

to round off, I am not saying whatever thomas said is confirmed correct or SHOULD be followed, but just that it works for him (what the hell, he does have some of the nicest planted tanks amongst LFS afterall!) and maybe some of us here can use some of his advice, or maybe modify it to fit our own thinking and practice. besides it's things like that which make the hobby so much more interesting! the hypothesizing, analysing, testing.........

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    still gen-x tanks are covered by BBA...why not ask him , how can we remove BBA.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys, before u question those tips that hoppinghippo mentioned, I would suggest u try it out and then reply whether it works or not. Noone can claim to be an expert here, including the moderators. If u start to pour cold water over someone for such remarks, very soon everyone is going to keep quiet and this is not going to be good for the forum.

Hoppinghippo, although I maynot agree with all your tips, but I'm willing to experiment and hope to share with u & the rest of the members of my experience.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well Gan also recommends pouring 1 capful of JBL Ferropro (which is loaded with Fe I imagine). However, it would depend on the state of your plant growth and also volume. Tank volume differs widely, especially some tanks are higher and deeper which can contribute to much more volume than you'd expect. Eg a 30cm deep vs 45cm deep tank with the same length and height is 50% more volume.

So think about the principle, do your own maths an give it a try. And then let us KNOW! [:]

BTW, Thomas is the tall lanky guy (with specs), there's another short guy with round face not sure of his name.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, i agree
    if you want to try something, by all means go ahead
    but don't think something is going to turn out the way it will because someone famous or a so-called plant guru says it will
    everyone has a different tank
    if it works for you, best
    if it doesn't, don't curse the person who gave that advice
    cos it worked for him
    doesn't mean it'll work for you tho

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    would like to know where is genx?
    thank
    [:0]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Generation X
    Blk 354 Clementi Ave 2 #01-233 S 120354
    Tel : 776 0166

yeah, totally agree with what DEA pointed out... u r free to use the same method as advised, but its yr call.. no 2 tanks r similar, even in the same house, u have to experiment ard to find the one most suited for u.. there r many ways to fight algae, some uses algae eaters, some do water change, some use chemicals, some apply blackout method.. there r many factors to consider (position of tank, tank chemistry, temp, tank mate, plants, fertilization.. & etc)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi HWCHOY,
    I am using ADA fertilisers for past number of years but always do it only during water change weekly. Be it, step 1, 2 or 3, green brighty lights or shade, Green Gain, ECA..... What he told you is probably what that is written in the ADA fertiliser instructions, I saw it there when got it in English. But again it causes much algae when I first follow it. You can try... everyday dosage but so far for me weekly seems fine.
    BTW, if I am not wrong this Thomsa guy was from Sam Yick but now on his own. And he got the last batch of ADA stuff from Aqua Nautic (Dennerle agent and previously ADA) after I organised a sale with another plant list (plantnutx). but end up myself lots of trouble.....[] so no more lobang for list people[] . On that note maybe I shall revive this har? Check out new topic! heh heh heh
    As for the lights out to combat algae. My hand raised to that[] , I have tried and effect is good. Ya...remember also dump in Yamatos for the period of lights out. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Alan, I now using Green Brighty Step 1 and Special Light. From what I can see in aquagoods.com I really shouldnt be combining both, given that my bioload is not light (15 dwarf pencilfish, 8 dwarf neon rainbowfish, 9 oto, 130 malayan and 1 farlowella). Your comments? Also I am not using any dechlorinator, should I use the Brighty K, or get something for chloramine?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi
    Har...using Step 1 and special light![:0] No...pls stop. you are breeding algae. As far as I have experienced that before. Although ADA recommend it but note....it is in conjuction to MATURE light loving plants. K is better. It is a supplement of potassium which usually lack in our tank and also it contain chlorine neutraliser. Without K, the other two Nitrogen and Phosphorus cannot be effectively absorb. These three are the basic elements for aquatic plants, Potassium, Nitrogen and Phosphorus, deeper explanation then this Aku Tatau[] The two other are not added because they are produce in abundance by fish's poo or pee[] , food food and dead leaves.
    what it does says in the instruction I got is....if potassium is in short supply, plants leaves turn yellow or white and lose resistance to algae. K also stimulates metabolism and roots growth. This ADA K is a extract from natural ash of plant/wood. Note that it will temporary raised the PH of your tank but no prob...plants will soon absorbed them.
    Hope this help
    BTW, where can get more of this? Mine left 70% I got mine from Japan trip.
    Hppy Planting.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Jellydot, very information, thanx much. I am just using Step 1 for the moment as I don't trust putting Special Light at this point. I thought Step 1 already have Potassium?

Was looking around for Brighty K but cannot find leh. GenX also dont have.