Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plant is not green ;o(

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I started a simple tank with some plants a few months back. The plants are growing well except for a particular one that has a dull-brownish green colour. Is there something that I am not doing correctly?

Can someone help? The lights and carbon dioxide is running 24/7.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Plant is not green ;o(

what is yout tank temperature? there seen to be too many fishes.
    and the moss seen to be converting from emmerse to submerse, as from the picture, there some new grow. Hope it the start.
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Here are some advice, hope you go through them.
    1. do not leave your CO2 and lights on 24/7, follow a 8 hour ( i recommend 6 in your case) photo period. Turn on your CO2 when your lights are on.
    2. Reduce the number of fishes. I do hope you have a filter thats good enough to go through all the waste your fish produce in that tank.
    3. whats the depth of the soil? If its more than 3 inches in the front, you probably want to reduce the depth to about 2 inches.

Regards.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

no need 24/7 your lights, the plant after 8-10 hours will not photosynthesize. (and your wasting electricity)
    if you do not have a timer, time to get one. You can connect the lights to it so can on/off with help from timer.

if the co2 has a electrical solenoid valve, you can also attach it. Else just leave it as it is for the time being.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It may not be the light. Try rinsing the moss in clean water - it may be covered in debris. The moss looks healthy IMO. I assume its java moss? If yes, these tend to adopt the brownish appearance as they get debris on them easily.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Seem like temperature problem.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    no need 24/7 your lights, the plant after 8-10 hours will not photosynthesize. (and your wasting electricity)
    if you do not have a timer, time to get one. You can connect the lights to it so can on/off with help from timer.

if the co2 has a electrical solenoid valve, you can also attach it. Else just leave it as it is for the time being.
    Thanks! I have started the 8-hr 'turn-on' period. Don't have a solenoid valve so do I have to turn the CO2 off when the lights are off?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sammajor View Post
    Seem like temperature problem.
    Hi Sammajor, the other plants are doing well except for the moss. What is the ideal temperature for the moss? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ramenking; 11th Jun 2013 at 21:00. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    Hi,

Here are some advice, hope you go through them.
    1. do not leave your CO2 and lights on 24/7, follow a 8 hour ( i recommend 6 in your case) photo period. Turn on your CO2 when your lights are on.
    2. Reduce the number of fishes. I do hope you have a filter thats good enough to go through all the waste your fish produce in that tank.
    3. whats the depth of the soil? If its more than 3 inches in the front, you probably want to reduce the depth to about 2 inches.

Regards.
    Hi Erctheanda
    Yes, I started the 8-hr cycle. My filter is an external canister filter and it is half the size of my tank. Kind of big I think...;o)
    What's the effect of the depth of the soil from 3-inches to 2-inches.

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ramenking View Post
    Thanks! I have started the 8-hr 'turn-on' period. Don't have a solenoid valve so do I have to turn the CO2 off when the lights are off?
    if you can off the co2, it would be a waste & for those high bps pose risk for fish.

you can address it as photoperiod(photosynthesis period)

Sent from my GT-N7105
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Erctheanda
    Yes, I started the 8-hr cycle. My filter is an external canister filter and it is half the size of my tank. Kind of big I think...;o)

Thanks in advance!
    No big deal. just that you might see pockets of air in too deep soil as anaerobic reactions will occur and gases will be accumulated over time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just to add, for your tank size and shape, a thick substrate in the front tends to make the tank look smaller and shorter... and there is abit less water volume for the fishes too.

If you reduce the substrate thickness in the front (since the main plant in the tank is just moss on wood, not rooted anyways), the tank will probably look more proportionate in scale.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Just to add, for your tank size and shape, a thick substrate in the front tends to make the tank look smaller and shorter... and there is abit less water volume for the fishes too.

If you reduce the substrate thickness in the front (since the main plant in the tank is just moss on wood, not rooted anyways), the tank will probably look more proportionate in scale.
    Thank you for your tips. I just read your blog and your work is inspiring. Please keep up the good work for the benefit of newbies like us. ;o)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    It may not be the light. Try rinsing the moss in clean water - it may be covered in debris. The moss looks healthy IMO. I assume its java moss? If yes, these tend to adopt the brownish appearance as they get debris on them easily.
    I agree with diazman. I also have java moss growing in my tank and some looks brown and are growing well. They do trap debris and after you clean, they could be green again. If the stem is green, the debris could be trap on the tiny hairs. But if the stem is dark brown, probably they are dead. Bright green stems = healthy moss.
    3ft Planted Tank Specs.
    1.5ft Reef Tank
    3.5ft Reef tank