Country
    Singapore

Pregnant Killifish? Advice needed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I recently purchase 1 male and 2 female killifish at C328. I am not sure of the exact species but it seems to me that one of the female killifish is pregnant. She is currently living a community tank that have other inhabitants that will most probably eat the eggs/fry if present. So here is the million dollar question
    "Should i move the pregnant fish to another tank?" .
    The reason for the question is that i am not sure if the egg is fertilized before it is laid or after it is laid. I do have another tank which is for frys and there are 30 plus small lampeye frys currently living in the tank with cherry shrimp. Whats the odds that the pregnant fish will eat the small frys in the other tank. Attached is the photos. Please HELP me. thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Pregnant Killifish? Advice needed

"Should i move the pregnant fish to another tank?"
    The killies you've shown here are Annuals, meaning that they lay their eggs and die shortly after. Also, you wouldn't see fry in the tank for sure. Annual killie breeders normally lay some peat on the tank bottom or preferably, in a small tub, which makes peat collection a lot easier, rather than having to siphon them out from the tank. The peat should be left for 1 - 2 weeks and collected later. There should be some eggs in there and if you have really good eyes, you can even spot them, simply by shining a torch over the semi-dried peat. The eggs would be glistening under the light.

Pack the peat in small plastic bags or containers and store it away. Check the eggs every month or so, and when the eggs start to eye-up, it's time to get your fingers' wet again.

As for the full details, I'm too lazy to write it all out but I believe you can find a lot of information on the internet.

it seems to me that one of the female killifish is pregnant.
    Killies are not livebearers and they will not get pregnant. They are egg-laying tooth carps and so, will only produce eggs.

Whats the odds that the pregnant fish will eat the small frys in the other tank.
    Almost all the time. Anything that fits a fish's mouth is considered dinner.
    Last edited by Shi Xuan; 30th Jun 2013 at 00:35.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Pregnant Killifish? Advice needed

Ok, thanks a lot