Country
    Singapore

Question What plants should I get?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi!

I had to reset my tank due to overpopulated of snails. Probably they came from the plants I brought previously (did soak with saltwater though!)

So today I got 2 nice wood and thought of doing something nicer. Will put in more effort to do the scape this time round However, I am not too sure what kind of plants I should get since I do not have any co2 or chiller or any other stuffs running in my tank. Any recommendation?

I am using ADA soil and got myself root monster, co2 tablets for the plants.

Plants that I will be reusing are mini fissiden and ...

Sorry I am bad at plants name. They are growing well previously inside the tank.

This is how the tank looks like now. And will tie some mini fissiden to the wood. Right now all the plants are being soaked to get rid of the snails.

Any suggestion is welcome! Thank you!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What plants should I get?

Wow very nice bogwood. Its not easy finding a nice looking tree-like bogwood.

How much did it cost and are there anymore of them?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by butterlim View Post
    Hi!

I had to reset my tank due to overpopulated of snails. Probably they came from the plants I brought previously (did soak with saltwater though!)

So today I got 2 nice wood and thought of doing something nicer. Will put in more effort to do the scape this time round However, I am not too sure what kind of plants I should get since I do not have any co2 or chiller or any other stuffs running in my tank. Any recommendation?

I am using ADA soil and got myself root monster, co2 tablets for the plants.

Plants that I will be reusing are mini fissiden and ...

Sorry I am bad at plants name. They are growing well previously inside the tank.

This is how the tank looks like now. And will tie some mini fissiden to the wood. Right now all the plants are being soaked to get rid of the snails.

Any suggestion is welcome! Thank you!
    DSM Fissidens on bogwood using your current fissidens.Rip if off and use chopper,Chop it finely. Apply to bogwood and press it down on the surface.
    Bacopa can use as carpet, Plant it densely and tightly. Have to trim weekly because they grow very fast.
    OR if you'd like to try.Staurogyne repens

Anyway. Your bioload also too much. I see tetras,mollies,danios. I could count 21 fishes in the second picture. Which for 30cm tank is really overpopulated.

Good luck on your adventure!
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Does the dsm fissiden really work when chopped finely?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, I think its pearl weed, not bacopa. Anyways, nice bog wood. But I think it will look fantastic with spiky moss instead!
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    Hi, I think its pearl weed, not bacopa. Anyways, nice bog wood. But I think it will look fantastic with spiky moss instead!
    have barcopa the picture with fan.
    other one with arrow should be mm. i previously used it before in last scape that i update in aq.

barcopa foreground will be very tiring after 3months, it is a background/midground plant by nature. or maybe naraki seen a picture of someone using barcopa as foreground?
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if you are infested with Pond and/or Ramhorn Snails, all you need to do is to lower your KH and pump up the CO2 and get your PH to sub-5 level and you see them crawling out of your tank voluntarily .....if they don't, their shell will literally melt away.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasliao View Post
    Does the dsm fissiden really work when chopped finely?

Well, That was what the internet teaches. I am currently trying them on coconut shell and lava rock.

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    have barcopa the picture with fan.
    other one with arrow should be mm. i previously used it before in last scape that i update in aq.

barcopa foreground will be very tiring after 3months, it is a background/midground plant by nature. or maybe naraki seen a picture of someone using barcopa as foreground?
    Hehe. I used to have it as my foreground. After 1 month. I simply dig it up and threw it away. It grows like weed. Anyway Butterlim. Since you are not re-using the bacopa. You can skip that. But it was just a suggestion. I suggested bacopa because your tank is very small so doing monthly trimmings will be rather easy. Not like 2ft above tanks need to climb stools/chairs, Use long scissors which might led to backpain, there pain, here pain, every where pain pain.
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

> nicholasliao > I got the blogwood from THAT AQUARIUM (Y61) @ Yishun, it is a two separate pieces. Total cost $12.50. Happened to look like a tree when it is placed together hahaha.

>Naraki > Thank you bro for your suggestion. Probably will try your method for the fissiden. This is really new to me.
    Hope the fissiden won't melt away What if the fissiden could not manage to stick to the blogwood? Should I use string to secure them?
    Yes my Bacopa? pearl weed? grows like crazy! I will be keeping them since they are easy to keep and I really like the colour of it. However my siamese eater keeps pulling them out of the soil.
    Did not know my tank is over populated. It looked really empty to me, I have 14 tretras now, 5 of the danios, 2 silver, and 1 huge siamese eater.
    My tank dimension is: 30x30x35.
    Have been keeping them for a long long time, they grew bigger and fatter especially the siamese eater. Anyone wants to adopt my siamese eater? I am actually afraid of big fish.

> David > I do not have any co2, am using just the tablet form. Can tablets work the same?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Erctheanda > is spiky moss easy to keep?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Erctheanda > is spiky moss easy to keep?
    It will grow slowly without co2 and chiller. But it will grow. Patience when it comes to moss

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure if it will work this way.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=butterlim;739537]
    >Naraki > Thank you bro for your suggestion. Probably will try your method for the fissiden. This is really new to me.
    Hope the fissiden won't melt away What if the fissiden could not manage to stick to the blogwood? Should I use string to secure them?
    Yes my Bacopa? pearl weed? grows like crazy! I will be keeping them since they are easy to keep and I really like the colour of it. However my siamese eater keeps pulling them out of the soil.
    Did not know my tank is over populated. It looked really empty to me, I have 14 tretras now, 5 of the danios, 2 silver, and 1 huge siamese eater.
    My tank dimension is: 30x30x35.
    Have been keeping them for a long long time, they grew bigger and fatter especially the siamese eater. Anyone wants to adopt my siamese eater? I am actually afraid of big fish.

You are welcome. Don't mistaken. The one that grows very fast and on your second picture is Bacopa. They will grow out of the water with adequate lighting and bloom white flowers.
    I've never tried trying fissidens on bogwood. I doubt it will attach itself EASILY because of the smooth surface the wood has. If it doesn't attach itself after 3weeks. You COULD try using fork or knife to make the surface of the bogwood rough.

21 fish + that BIG SAE definitely is overstocked. That is from my point of view.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see, maybe I will try to sand the bogwood to see if it works too.

That plant should be Bacopa, as it bloom white flowers before haha.

By the way just checking, will HC survive in my tank ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see, maybe I will try to sand the bogwood to see if it works too.

That plant should be Bacopa, as it bloom white flowers before haha.

By the way just checking, will HC survive in my tank ?
    It will be very hard. With initial melting phase and hope for the best. Unless you can invest in a Co2 system. 30cm tank 2litres Co2 cylinder. That should suffice for at least 1 year 9hours daily at 1-2bps and not forgetting HO light or Strong LED system

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

hc need high lighting and co2 if possible.

if low tech indoor environment its extremely low growth, for new hobbyist that's like killing you.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see, thanks Naraki and felix for the advice.
    I shall see how it goes along the way. As my space is limited, it is quite impossible for me to get a 2litres Co2 cylinder. Probably I will have to look at those compact size but the price of it is expensive

Right now I just started doing the planting and it is the 3rd day now. Everything looking good and hope it works.
    I had to discard my fissiden away as they started to turn brown after the soaking.

Here's the picture taken today:

Flame moss attached to the bogwood, HC at the bottom, Bacopa at the back and the other one at the corner (which is not looking that good)

I read up Flame moss to be quite easy to keep, hopefully mine can survive in my tank.

I set the lightning switch on for 6 hours with 2 hours as interval. Sprayed water twice a day and let new oxygen in for a few minutes.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The pinkish fitonnia at the base of the bog wood is not aquatic. so it will not survive under water.

Flame moss is a good selection based on the specs. But does it match what you envisage from the bogwood?

if you are trying to make a tree out of it, i suggest willow or spikey moss. flame moss will just grow upwards..

HC without CO2, will take ages to grow. I have tried.. for 2 months, barely see it creep. So when Algae stepped in and said HI, i ported over a CO2 tank and said Bye.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That is bad haha. I just grabbed it as I really like the colour, opps...
    But it is okay as I have a bottle garden and shall bring it over there.

I google around for Flame moss pictures and they look okay to me. If it turned out looking weird, I will have to change it
    Yes, will be getting co2 once everything settles down.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

nice wood there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast