Country
    Singapore

Eden 501 Users. Fall in!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello people. I would to ask,
    1.how do you arrange your filter medium in the Eden 501.
    2.How many stages of filtration
    3.how is the flow rate
    4.Washing and change sponges or medias.

Picture would explain things a lot easier

Thanks!
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eden 501 Users. Fall in!

I have this filter, good for nano to max 1+ feet tanks with low bioload.

Stages of filter? Its too small to be called stages, it only has 2 compartments. 1 is occupied by the ceramic rings(included), another is occupied by sponge(included).

Flow rate to me is considered low. Good for nano only. Washing the fiter is easy... High build quality but i do not sure whether parts can be found easily in lfs.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm using it for a 1.5ft tank. The flowrate is not very satisfactory. Will decrease quite a bit overtime. Have to do some frequent cleaning, which defeats the purpose of me using canister. haha.

Other points would be same as what bro WongCe mentioned

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1.5ft tank is abit large for the Eden 501... it works better for 1ft or smaller tanks.

I've found that putting a pre-filter sponge guard on the intake pipe helps to prolong the time between canister cleaning, because all the dirt and detritus gets trapped in the sponge guard, so alot less go into the canister. The pre-filter sponge guard effectively acts a mechanical filter.

All you need to do is just take off the sponge and wash it if required, much easier and quicker than constantly opening the canister to clear out clogs.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guys, I actually have this filter i just want to know how do you guys arrange the medias.

Like Sponge>CR>Sponge>Finer Sponge>

OR

Sponge>Sponge>CR>CR>CR>Sponge

Something like that.
    Not touching on the outgoing compartment. Only the compartment at the incoming.

This way. I would know if the flow is strong or weak and how good is the filtration and i could maybe follow your arrangements.

I currently have coarse sponge>coarse sponge>Black pearl+CR(Not stock)>Thick fine sponge.
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For my unit, i initially did the following configuration:

Input > Coarse sponge (i just cut a large sheet of sponge into shape and fit into the top section of the input chamber) > Bio-media (i use Seachem Matrix) > Thick Fine Sponge > Output... the flow didn't change much as the coarse sponge probably still lets water through easily.

I guess the flow will start to slow noticeably if you were to add more fine sponges or pack even more media in the compartments.

Eventually i put a pre-filter sponge guard on the intake (to protect shrimplets), then i removed the coarse sponge inside and added more bio-media.

Btw, after the tank was cycled, i also added a 100ml pack of Seachem Purigen in too (at the base of the filter compartment, just after the bio-media), very effective in absorbing harmful organic waste and compounds.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    For my unit, i initially did the following configuration:

Input > Coarse sponge (i just cut a large sheet of sponge into shape and fit into the top section of the input chamber) > Bio-media (i use Seachem Matrix) > Thick Fine Sponge > Output... the flow didn't change much as the coarse sponge probably still lets water through easily.

I guess the flow will start to slow noticeably if you were to add more fine sponges or pack even more media in the compartments.

Eventually i put a pre-filter sponge guard on the intake (to protect shrimplets), then i removed the coarse sponge inside and added more bio-media.

Btw, after the tank was cycled, i also added a 100ml pack of Seachem Purigen in too (at the base of the filter compartment, just after the bio-media), very effective in absorbing harmful organic waste and compounds.
    That's interesting, do you use the stock 'lily pipe' or using rain bar? If its rain bar. Does the water shoot far? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Naraki View Post
    That's interesting, do you use the stock 'lily pipe' or using rain bar? If its rain bar. Does the water shoot far? Thanks!
    My set only came with the rainbar system (didn't see any stock "lily pipe"?). I briefly tested it during the initial setup, the current created by the rainbar seems okay for a 1ft tank, though its probably too weak for larger tanks. I guess you could increase the current jet by blocking some holes or decrease the current by enlarging them instead too.

I used 10mm nano glass lily pipes with it though, which creates a more directional flow, so the current created tends to be abit higher. The current was digging a crater into the soil at the opposite end of my 1ft tank, so i had to adjust it lower by installing a single tap on the output hose.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My set only came with the rainbar system (didn't see any stock "lily pipe"?). I briefly tested it during the initial setup, the current created by the rainbar seems okay for a 1ft tank, though its probably too weak for larger tanks. I guess you could increase the current jet by blocking some holes or decrease the current by enlarging them instead too.

I used 10mm nano glass lily pipes with it though, which creates a more directional flow, so the current created tends to be abit higher. The current was digging a crater into the soil at the opposite end of my 1ft tank, so i had to adjust it lower by installing a single tap on the output hose.
    The stock "Lily pipe" isn't really one. I think calling it "lip of lily pipe" would be more appropriate.

I was also thinking of getting a lily pipe for better overall flow. Where did you get yours? Price range?

Currently trying out the rainbar for experimenting. I've read somewhere that shrimps breed during rainy season whereby the cooler water sinks below warm water. Trying to imitate the rain droplets produced by the jets and having a fan hitting the droplets.

Your idea of increasing the pressure by blocking and reducing by enlarging is good. I'm going to drill more holes of different sizes to create more "droplets" and also at the same time more surface agitation to avoid surface oil buildup.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I bought my ANS 10mm nano lily pipes from Seaview, comes with both the lily pipe output and intake as a packaged set for S$50.

Here is a photo of my setup from a while back:

In this example, i installed an Eheim single tap in the output hose to control the flow rate, and also installed a gUSH stainless steel guard on the intake, helps prevent shrimplets from getting sucked into the canister and acts as a pre-filter too.

Yeah, you can raise the stock rainbar above the water level to simulate rain drops on the water surface, that will also generate alot of good surface agitation too... with fan it'll be even cooler.

The only thing is it might get abit noisy with all the splashing and trickling sounds... on the other hand, it could be quite soothing to some people too, like a mini indoor fountain.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I bought my ANS 10mm nano lily pipes from Seaview, comes with both the lily pipe output and intake as a packaged set for S$50.

In this example, i installed an Eheim single tap in the output hose to control the flow rate, and also installed a gUSH stainless steel guard on the intake, helps prevent shrimplets from getting sucked into the canister and acts as a pre-filter too.

Yeah, you can raise the stock rainbar above the water level to simulate rain drops on the water surface, that will also generate alot of good surface agitation too... with fan it'll be even cooler.

The only thing is it might get abit noisy with all the splashing and trickling sounds... on the other hand, it could be quite soothing to some people too, like a mini indoor fountain.
    Alright. Thank you for the input!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What does the gUSH guard look like when installed? Got any pic?
    For me, I have coarse sponge -> CR -> fine wool -> Matrix. 2nd compartment has just the stock sponge. I also put some fine wool to line the divider between 2 compartments so as to prevent unfiltered waste from directly flowing over to the 2nd compartment.

Needless to say, with all the wool here and there my flow rate drops very quickly. Previously I had a coarse sponge on the intake pipe, flow rate was still pretty good. Might put another piece on to try and see if it helps.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by benlee View Post
    What does the gUSH guard look like when installed? Got any pic?
    Here is how i installed it:

The gUSH mesh guard doesn't come in 10mm size, so i used rubber o-rings to adapt the 13mm version to fit the 10mm glass intake.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have one of Eden as a secondary filter on my 1ft nano tank. There is another hangover filter as a primary filter.

As for the Eden connection is glass inlet > original corse sponge > bag of matrix 2nd compartment > small fine wool > 10mm lily pipe.

Maintenance just rinse the matrix bag every month and change the fine wool.

Anyway, I am not using Eden now.