Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Sawarak Adventure Part 2 (Pix intensive)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sawarak Adventure Part 2 (Pix intensive)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Following from Sarawak Adventure Part 1...

One of our next stop was a clear water cave which can only be reached by following a river upstream.

A rare shot of the "expedition" team.

Plenty of fishes as usual, including loaches, flying foxes etc, amongst barbs and rasboras..

The fishes seen earlier swim all the way in to the cave. According to our host, there should be some blind cave fishes deep inside too. As the dusk was approaching, we've decided to save this exploration for another trip.

The scenery outside the cave was beautiful in my opinion. And there was plenty of good rocks that were suitable for aquarium aquascaping. All rounded by water erosion. True malayan drifwood was available there too. But their weight was enough for us to just enjoy it there.

One more picture for keepsake, with our host Mike, before we call it another wonderful day in Sarawak.

More to come...

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 14th Dec 2007 at 14:11.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    An another wonderful day in Sarawak..

Somehow, the weather was sunny, as if reflecting our enthusiasm. The drive was very pleasant, with friendly villagers waving along as they return from Church (yup! It was a sunny sunday). Children were also curious as to what we were doing in the river.

There one of the collection point beside a bridge where we stopped. Here, we found Cryptocoryne keei.

This area is actually some some of a makeshift "swimming pool", where there was a platform as well as wooden seats just above the water line. On other days, we can just imagine children swimming and having fun here.

As usual, there were fishes and freshwater shrimps. But our discovery of the Cryptcoryne species overshadowed everthing else.

More to come.....

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As we move on, we were considering exploring black water streams for licorice gouramis and more bettas.

However, the next stream we came across was still a clear water stream.

Here, we manage to find fresh water puffer fish (Carinotetradon salivator)! Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, but I'm sure Mr. Tree has.

And we also got some freshwater shrimps and crabs..

For those interested in a true biotope of barbs and rasboras, here it is!

Not much to look at, no plants, fairly fast flowing and well oxygenated water. So if you want to create a biotope tank, I don't think I'll be to difficult. The fishes are circle in red.

And here is the only thing that followed me home from Sarawak. It's a fairly greedy fella and I need a lid to keep it from jumping out.

More to come....

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Besides catching fish, we also did a bit of sightseeing.

We detoured to Gunung Gading National Park, hoping to see Rafflesia, the world largest flower.

Actually, there were loads of fishes there too.. The next two pictures are enlargements from the above picture, showing the biotope of some of the barbs.

You can actually see the freshwater crab too if you look carefully.

It was indeed our lucky day! Mike, our host, had not been lucky in the past few visit, but we were spot on!

Here it is, admist the rain drizzling down on us and the slippery wooden walkway, we found it just at the side. Could have be easily overlooked if we had not looked out for it.

From here, you can see that the flower is actually bigger than a football.

More to come...

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Basically, the weather changes quickly and it usually rains in the afternoon. Here, our car was parked at the side while we explored the surroundings nearby. Often, we came back caked in mud and dripping wet. Despite this, our gracious host didn't insist that we rode on the top of the car.

The road there were basically dual carriageway and not lighted at night. This restricts our activities to daylight hours only, which is just as well, otherwise, we may just die of exhaustion.

Lundu was another place where we found a lot of fishes, including Betta anabantoides.

As can be seen, it was raining when we were collecting. So rain gear is a must if you are planing for a similar trip.

For those taking pictures, this is how I protect my gear from getting wet. Simple and effective.

And this is Betta anabantoides!

More to come in Sarawak Adventure Part 3..

Kindly leave your comments/discussions in the final part. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 14th Dec 2007 at 14:12.