Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Sick Ram, is it camallanus worms?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sick Ram, is it camallanus worms?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I noticed that one of my Ram was acting strange and "laying" at the bottom of the tank.

I isolated it and thought it was nitrate position as my nitrate levels are still high. So, i gave it treatment with some salt and fresh water in the hospital tank

Today, I notice that there is something colorless hanging out of it anus for sometime. Than it was "gone" in a couple of hours. Now, I see something like a red string hanging out.

Is it a camallanus worms infection?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ren_hao/10727432034/

What should I do? What med should I get?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Sick Ram, is it camallanus worms?

I cannot make out what is at the anus, but just observe it. If it moves or begins to wriggle then it is a Camallanus infestation.

You will require fenbendazole/flubendazole/levamisole, provided you can find these medications. Praziquantel may work against this worm, but the 3 mentioned drugs will be more effective. There are dewormers meant for birds, which will contain one of the 3 drugs. Praziquantel is found in products like Prazi-Gold etc and API's General Cure.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Sick Ram, is it camallanus worms?

It does nt seems to be camallanus worm. Later in the day, the area near the gills started to turn a little red.

i went down to the LFS, uncle was recommending salt n heater. But when he knew my tank was tiny n I have been using salt for 2 days, he got me a box of Furan-2

now on day 3 of 8 days treatment. The redness is gone. But the ram still can't search for food on its own. I have to bring food to its mouth for it to eat.
    it is also lifting itself off the bottom of the tank, which I think is good news