Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Why my newly refilled CO2 guage always showing only max 500 psi...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Why my newly refilled CO2 guage always showing only max 500 psi...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Any kind soul able to adjust me on my problem....

I bought a new 3L CO2 cylinder with ANS regulator. At less than 4 weeks, at about 4 bps, my cylinder empties.
    Feel that it is used up way too fast. Did a refill and upon connecting back the regulator, noticed that the incoming psi is only 500, which I read that a full cylinder should be around 1000 psi...

Any idea if what I am facing is normal? if no, any solution to it?

Thanks a million!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why my newly refilled CO2 guage always showing only max 500 psi...

Quote Originally Posted by adidasvintage View Post
    Hi all,

Any kind soul able to adjust me on my problem....

I bought a new 3L CO2 cylinder with ANS regulator. At less than 4 weeks, at about 4 bps, my cylinder empties.
    Feel that it is used up way too fast. Did a refill and upon connecting back the regulator, noticed that the incoming psi is only 500, which I read that a full cylinder should be around 1000 psi...

Any idea if what I am facing is normal? if no, any solution to it?

Thanks a million!
    for leak problems:
    did you hear any leaking(hissing) sound between your regulator/solenoid and the cylinder?
    does the joint between the regulator/solenoid feel very cold?

if any of the answer is yes for above, it might means your connection is not tight. there should be a rubber between the regulator connector and the co2 cylinder, you can also use pvc tape to go around the connector adaptor
    Fishy Tank Results Algae Vs Dodofish 2 : 0

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My 2L can last for close to 4 months with solenoid switched on for 7 hours daily. For a 3L cylinder, 4 weeks is too short.

Try to use a sponge soaked with some hand wash soap and check the joint. Most likely there is a leakage somewhere.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

if your gauge is good, then your cylinder is not filled with liquid CO2. it has gaseous CO2 only.
    As long as there is liquid CO2, the cylinder pressure will be about 1000psi, depending on ambient temperature.
    the proper way of checking, whether your cylinder is properly filled with CO2, is to weigh it when it is empty and when it if filled. in your case, the weight difference should be ~3kg.

bring it back to the shop and ask them to check.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Noted on steps to check for leaks. Thanks for all the advises.

Checked that the screw nut between the regulator and the cylinder and all related parts are not cold and no hissing sound.

Will check again for leaks with soapy water again.(last check, no bubbling effect).
    Any suggestion to narrow down the problem between the regulator or the cylinder?

If my lfs is only refilling my cylinder with gaseous CO2, and this is his only type of service.... Any recommendation for CO2 refill in the east of of SG(prefer bedok).

Aside to my problem,
    Intending to get a backup 5L or 10L cylinder to narrow down the problems. Any rec lfs? I believe best is either NA or C328, all not in the east. Any idea on the cost?
    Also planning to get the Intense CO2 regulator from GC. Any one using it currently? Any feedback?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm using 3kg cylinder with ANS solenoid regulator as well. By default it leaks in a few places, between regulator and cylinder, between brass bubble counter and needle valve body and joints between the CO2 tubing. Make sure you put a few rounds of PTFE tape on every joint that you made and some vaseline on all the airhose joints. There is an article in another forum that i read shows how one can troubleshoot CO2 leakages in new setups.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Equipment:-
    Classica Bow Front, Fluval 306 Canister + DIY PVC/EHEIM piping,Aquazonic 5W UVC,Green Element Plant EVO Quad 24" 6500K,DIY dimmable Dawn/Dusk LED strip,ANS CO2 regulator with solenoid + UP Aqua Super Diffuser,Boyu FS-55 fan w/ DIY Digital Thermostat
    Creating an underwater nirvana & loving it!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can get your cylinder refilled at Bioplast at boonkeng mrt. Bring your regulator along, uncle may help to troubleshoot leakages as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Equipment:-
    Classica Bow Front, Fluval 306 Canister + DIY PVC/EHEIM piping,Aquazonic 5W UVC,Green Element Plant EVO Quad 24" 6500K,DIY dimmable Dawn/Dusk LED strip,ANS CO2 regulator with solenoid + UP Aqua Super Diffuser,Boyu FS-55 fan w/ DIY Digital Thermostat
    Creating an underwater nirvana & loving it!