Country
    Singapore

buying a suitable digital camera

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I might be posted overseas for a few months by my office. I would like to buy a digital camera which is compact enough to bring to travel around to take photographs of my new work place / living conditions /etc to post back to my friends and family to review, and yet have good macro function so that I can use it to take close-up shots of flowers / plants / fishes / etc when I am posted back to Singapore.

Any suggestion of a suitable model of digital camera, the likely price range and a good shop to buy it?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm, is Canon IXUS 500 suitable?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    most point n shoots not good enough to take close-up fish pics.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    do take in consideration manual functions like th G5

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:bbdfff30e8="hwchoy"]most point n shoots not good enough to take close-up fish pics.[/quote:bbdfff30e8]

Among the various models of point n shoot, any recommendation of which ones are better for taking close-up?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:4b8f252a99="illumbomb"][quote:4b8f252a99="hwchoy"]most point n shoots not good enough to take close-up fish pics.[/quote:4b8f252a99]

Among the various model of point n shoot, any recommendation of which one are better for taking close-up? [/quote:4b8f252a99]

It depends on the size of objects you wish to take. Most reputable digicams have macro feature which is good enough to take flower and insects ~ 4cm and above. For tiny subjects, < 2 cm, most Sony digicams and Nikon CoolPix 99x/4500 series are the best. I have taken egg of butterfly, ~2mm diameter, with CoolPix 995 and 4500 !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you want to shoot macro, I have seen very good bokeh (blur background) from Nikons like Coolpix 4500. Most prosumer point&shoot would do fine.

However if you're trying to shoot moving things like fishes, or even tiny spiders, either learn to live with manual focus (i.e. moving the cam until it comes into focus) or get a DSLR with real macro lens.

I'm using a G5 if you have specific question on that.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    when r u going, if it after 29 Aug this month, then is worth to wait for the Comex Show at Suntec from 26-29 Aug. Price will be much better and sometime with free gifts.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can check this out http://forums.clubsnap.org/ for reviews of the cameras that you'd might like to have a look at.

Reflecx has done a price list at http://reflecx.netfirms.com/cameraprices.html, try MS Color at AMK

Regards
    Byron