Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Why are my fish dying?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've had this tank for around 1 and a half months now, and everytime I try stocking, at least 2-3 fishes will die. I've had 5 neon tetras, 1 oto, 1 betta and probably a few shrimps die on me (I say probably cause I can't find the shrimps).

pH is around 6.5, Ammonia levels are 0.
    I had an algae breakout which covered the sides of the tank and my filter just a week back (I would think it's because I stopped CO2 to refill for that week(, but I wiped it off and my tank seems fine now ever since the CO2 is back.

Light was included in the bundle with the tank, bought from Rainbow Aquarium. 2.9W

Refer to the album for pictures of my tank! Any help would be appreciated. If I'm not posting enough information please tell me and I'll provide it as required.

http://imgur.com/a/Sq7AG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why are my fish dying?

Hi pyxix,
    Saw your tank,
    looks good….how long did you cycle your filter before putting in the fish?
    Maybe thats the problem….tank not cycled through for the filter to grow enough beneficial bacteria. However, that being said, having had some fish and shrimp deaths would and might have already helped cycle it proper…
    Do you have test kits to measure No2, No3, or even Cl, Po4?

Best to get a 5 in 1 or 6 in 1 test kit/strip to see if you have any problems with NO2 and NO3
    Are your fish still dying?
    If they are, and you have NO2 and NO3 problems , that probably means that the tank is not cycled through …or you could be overfeeding...then i recommend getting some starter kit that has BB in them to jumpstart the process…i have used Tetra Safe Start with great success. And restrain from overfeeding.

Once all my BB died in my multiple filters and I used this to restart my matured tank….within 24 hrs, everything normal again...

regards
    smwhang

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi pyxix,

a few questions come to mind..
    1. was the fauna healthy when you got them? were there deaths in the same shop tank?
    2. how was it packed? for shrimps, its highly recommended to place in some vegetation for them to cling to during transport.
    3. how were they acclimatized before placing in your tank?
    4. how long were there in transport?
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by smwhang View Post
    Hi pyxix,
    Saw your tank,
    looks good….how long did you cycle your filter before putting in the fish?
    Maybe thats the problem….tank not cycled through for the filter to grow enough beneficial bacteria. However, that being said, having had some fish and shrimp deaths would and might have already helped cycle it proper…
    Do you have test kits to measure No2, No3, or even Cl, Po4?

Best to get a 5 in 1 or 6 in 1 test kit/strip to see if you have any problems with NO2 and NO3
    Are your fish still dying?
    If they are, and you have NO2 and NO3 problems , that probably means that the tank is not cycled through …or you could be overfeeding...then i recommend getting some starter kit that has BB in them to jumpstart the process…i have used Tetra Safe Start with great success. And restrain from overfeeding.

Once all my BB died in my multiple filters and I used this to restart my matured tank….within 24 hrs, everything normal again...

regards
    smwhang
    Is cycling the filter the same as cycling the tank? If so, I have cycled it for approximately 3 weeks. Waited for ammonia to go down to 0 before I started to stock.
    I only have pH and ammonia test kit, didn't get the rest.

I've cut down on feeding after the algae bloom, everything looks fine now.

As of now my fish aren't dying, but it's only been a day, so I can't give an accurate answer.
    Thanks for your concise reply.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    hi pyxix,

a few questions come to mind..
    1. was the fauna healthy when you got them? were there deaths in the same shop tank?
    2. how was it packed? for shrimps, its highly recommended to place in some vegetation for them to cling to during transport.
    3. how were they acclimatized before placing in your tank?
    4. how long were there in transport?
    1. Yeah fauna looked healthy, bought from c328 and neighboring lfs.

2. As I live in clementi, it was just a short walk home. Shrimps had some sort of moss in the pack so I assume it's fine.

3. For shrimps, I placed it in a container with its original water and placed it in my water to get the same temperature and I used a dropper to add water into the container. After an hour or so I let them in. For fishes, I was admittedly a bit more impatient and I let them in before the half hour mark.

Thank you for your reply, hope it helps!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

alright, from what i read, the fauna was ok when you bought them, abit too hasty with regards to acclimatization but should not be too serious in my opinion.

Can you check your KH/GH of the water? it could be that the water is too hard.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    alright, from what i read, the fauna was ok when you bought them, abit too hasty with regards to acclimatization but should not be too serious in my opinion.

Can you check your KH/GH of the water? it could be that the water is too hard.
    How would I do that? Through another test kit?
    Right now I only have pH and ammonia, do I need to get any more test kits?

Nitrite needs to be 0 to ensure cycling is completed. Water needs to be dechlorinated. Too much co2?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,
    Yes,
    You'll need just another test kit; a multi test kit for NO2,NO3, CL,GH,KH and PH.
    These type of kits are fast and easy to use.
    Made by Tetra, JBL, API....very common.

Until you are able to verify what your water parameters are, it's all pretty much assumptions..
    Regarding CO2, do you have a drop checker to ensure your levels are adequate?
    If not, you'll probably need to get one too.

After you gather all these data and share with us buddy, then we'll be able to help narrow down the problem.

Regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I realised that if u clean the filter, the shrimps die for some reason . White strips across back and swimmeret area turns purplish blue

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Tapatalk
    Always there to help even if i can't i'll try my best to

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Remove the betta I believe the betta ate your shrimps
    I'm A Newbie Pls Don't Flame Me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by takaco View Post
    Remove the betta I believe the betta ate your shrimps
    Ah that's likely. Anyway the betta is dead, so oh well I guess..

Update, plants are melting, but it's a pretty common phenomenon in my tank.

Also, I'm using a hang on filter and the water in the filter is really green, and the sponge/hairy thing is green too. Is this normal? Do I completely the water out of the filter when I do water changes? Or do I leave the filter untouched?

Will get to purchasing the test kits soon

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by pyxis View Post
    Ah that's likely. Anyway the betta is dead, so oh well I guess..

Update, plants are melting, but it's a pretty common phenomenon in my tank.

Also, I'm using a hang on filter and the water in the filter is really green, and the sponge/hairy thing is green too. Is this normal? Do I completely the water out of the filter when I do water changes? Or do I leave the filter untouched?

Will get to purchasing the test kits soon
    Oh my god i suggest you

1. remove all your aquarium fishes from the tank
    2. water change ( clean your tank and filter )
    3. check why,where,when all this happen (water condition ? lighting wattage too high ? never did any water change ? )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Algae

Cause

• Cyanobacteria organism introduced to the tank
    • Excess Light
    • High levels of organic wastes
    • Anaerobic conditions

Also referred to as Slime or Smear Algae, Blue-Green Algae is not truly an algae. Instead it is Cyanobacteria, an the organism that lies somewhere between algae and bacteria. Overgrowth of this organism generally occurs when there are high levels of dissolved wastes and nutrients in the water, such as nitrates and phosphates. Phosphates in particular, are a prime contributor to overgrowth of Blue-Green Algae

The buildup of excess nutrients and dissolved waste may be due to lack of water changes and regular maintenance, overfeeding, or because the tank is new and the beneficial bacterial colonies have not become established. However, because Cyanobacteria can fix its own nitrogen, it can appear even in a well maintained matured tank.
    Cure

• Reduce light
    • Partial water changes
    • Physical removal
    • Clean tank well
    • 200 mg erythromycin phosphate/10 gallons water

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh Boy,
    Your tanks sounds like an emergency…
    Maybe best to get the kits, rescue your remaining fish and shrimps, start your tank over after you sanitize it.

Best be methodical and start with understanding how to properly set up a tank, what species to put together and planting.
    It'll be more fun this way and saves you money.

Good luck buddy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi pyxis,

just my 2cents worth.

sorrie to hear that. I am new to planted tanks but had kept fishes for several years like many here. From what i see, your tank is lowly stock from the pic you posted.

Do you mind me asking, when you add new stock, what is the quantity?

Your filtration seems like a hangon with skimmer. And most important, what is in your filter. The tank you'd shown looks like one footer to 1.5feet rite? The food u feed may probably be sucked into the skimmer or inlet and stuck in the filter causing high organic waste prob.

Check your oxygen level when you have high stock. I think JBL have some tester kit, i forgot.

Aclimatisation for newly introduced fishes are important as mentioned by Erctheanda. I usually ask the LfS their estimated pH, and several times, their answers were inaccurate and also varies by a 1.0 or more when i tested the water from the bag. Hardy fishes like monster fishes or C.A. can withstand changes, but not for some delicate species.

When you have smaller water perimeter, just be more cautious though i understand many will think the plants are absorbing the bad stuff. They do. But to what extent and what rate. We cant actually estimate by bare eyes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Sax View Post
    Hi pyxis,

just my 2cents worth.

sorrie to hear that. I am new to planted tanks but had kept fishes for several years like many here. From what i see, your tank is lowly stock from the pic you posted.

Do you mind me asking, when you add new stock, what is the quantity?

Your filtration seems like a hangon with skimmer. And most important, what is in your filter. The tank you'd shown looks like one footer to 1.5feet rite? The food u feed may probably be sucked into the skimmer or inlet and stuck in the filter causing high organic waste prob.

Check your oxygen level when you have high stock. I think JBL have some tester kit, i forgot.

Aclimatisation for newly introduced fishes are important as mentioned by Erctheanda. I usually ask the LfS their estimated pH, and several times, their answers were inaccurate and also varies by a 1.0 or more when i tested the water from the bag. Hardy fishes like monster fishes or C.A. can withstand changes, but not for some delicate species.

When you have smaller water perimeter, just be more cautious though i understand many will think the plants are absorbing the bad stuff. They do. But to what extent and what rate. We cant actually estimate by bare eyes.
    Yep, it's a 1.2x.1.2x1.5.
    Yeah, when I checked the filter, it had a lot of fish food. So I cut down on feeding and made sure that the food I fed doesn't get sucked in by the filter.

I've stocked a total of 3 times. Once with 8 neon tetras + 3 shrimps, 5 shrimps, then 2 corys, 4 otos and 5 neon tetras.

Yep, thanks for all your advice, will update ASAP.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If new fishes die immediately within short timespan, maybe Acclimatisation issue. Gradually, likely to be due to oxygen, high bioload n water perimeter problem. Filter media n aeration for high stock tank
    v important.
    Last edited by Sax; 10th Feb 2014 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi pyxis,

is sunlight hitting the filter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Most common problem I saw in practice with both sudden and gradual fish deaths was the lack of or improper dechlorination. Was very surprised that even people who kept expensive arowanas or tanks of discus schools would still fail to dechlorinate their water thoroughly! Is your dechlorinator being used at the correct volume, not expired and mixed into the new water before adding it to the tank?
    Chlorine definitely kills fauna and I've also seen it melt plants. I was one such newbie who did not dechlorinate and got away with it for 2 years, although it was a rather sad tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast